Sign in to follow this  

bar risers?

does anyone run bar risers? i have renthal fat bars on my 09 rmz 450, my friend who is a retired pro that used to race on the circuit told me i should get a set of bar risers as it would help me through corners and stuff. (i mainly ride on the track) anybody have any insight on this issue? i dont personally know anyone that runs them. dont really know anything about them. only benefit i know of is that it raises the bars up....but i dont even know if that is a benefit? any insight on this? i AM tall. 6'2" find myself hunching every once in a while when standing...idk

Edited by zakass34

It depends of your riding position and style.  If you feel "hunched over" all the time, you may benefit from risers.  There are other bends available in the bars too.  It all depends on your preference. 

• Like 1

I'm 6'1 and used them on every bike I've had.. I pretty much need them or like you I'm hunched over while standing.

• Like 1

is there a certain size riser i should get? i saw that they have different heights? i dont want the bars up in my chest lol. but i dont think id mind having them up a little higher.

I'm 6'2" and I just use bars with a taller rise on them. I'm using protaper contour fmx bend, just due to the amount of rise that they have. Another one that I have used in the past is the protaper contour atv mid bend, that works out great as well. I don't think I would go with the bar risers, just buy a new set of bars and sell your old ones. 

If I jump on a friends bike I can't stand up with their stock bars(well comfortable). It feels like I'm trying to ride while touching my toes, OK maybe not that bad.

Having the right ergo's is the most important thing on a dirt bike. A bikes stock ergos are made for short people, 5'6".

I have bar risers (up and forward) and DRZ110 bars, about the same height as the ATV mid bend, but without all the sweep back.

At 6'2" you would benefit from risers or taller bars, maybe both. Don't get risers that move the bars up and back, it'll cramp the cockpit.

If I jump on a friends bike I can't stand up with their stock bars(well comfortable). It feels like I'm trying to ride while touching my toes, OK maybe not that bad.

Having the right ergo's is the most important thing on a dirt bike. A bikes stock ergos are made for short people, 5'6".

I have bar risers (up and forward) and DRZ110 bars, about the same height as the ATV mid bend, but without all the sweep back.

At 6'2" you would benefit from risers or taller bars, maybe both. Don't get risers that move the bars up and back, it'll cramp the cockpit.

I was just looking at the Protaper DRZ110 bars just a few minutes ago and I am going to compare them to the Rethenal high enduro bars as swept back is the key to a high bar IMO. I am only 5'9" but have a touch shorter arm length than most guys my size so a taller bar will help. On my last yz that was one of the first things I done was to switch bars and it does make a world of difference.

Update. I just looked and the pro taper has less swept back and less angle from the bend to the end of the bars. Thanks for posting about the Protapers!!

Edited by Zrt1200

Like others have said its all rider preference. I'm 6' 1" and used to run high bars. I would run risers or a submount and run tall bars. I thought it was helping mostly because I was told it would.

I eventually got lower bars with a submount, which was very comfortable on my ktm, but after playing around on my bike now with risers, submount and a few bars I settled on rc bend fat bars and stock height, most comfortable I've ever felt now.

If you have the option of trying risers out go for it, only way you'll find out if they really do work for ya!

I have bar risers on my KDX, plus a higher bend bar, on my wifes crf150f, she's only 5'4" tall and my son's cr85r, he needs a taller bar as well. I say get those bars up high enough that you can stand up comfortably all day long. Rocky mountain has 2 sizes of risers for $18 & $19 a set, at that price you can buy them and if you don't like them, shelve them for a different project.

thanks for the responses guys. im going to try out the risers i think. im just going to take them off my buddies bike for a few days to see how i like them. that way i dont buy them, then dont like them and im stuck with risers ill never use. ill keep you all updated on the difference.

yes i agree at 6"4" so much better with risers . 2" suit me fine 

I stand up all the time riding enduro, my preferred terrain.  So when I ordered the Scott's damper bracket, I got the submount system which raises the bars 1" and I couldn't be happier.  I'm 6'1" so you may need it more. 

The cockpits of dirt bikes are designed for the average man's height of maybe 5'10" or so.  We tall guys gotta modify the bike to fit us comfortably, otherwise we'll be hunched over as you said.