gear shifting problem

my little bro has problems when shifting gears on his kx 60 as the splines on the shift shaft are worn, rather than swapping it out for a new one i thought about fabricating my own selector and welding it to the shift shaft. has anyone any idea as to what material the shift shaft is made from so i could fabricate a selector from the same material? any help would be much appreciated

I believe the shaft is made of aluminum.

I believe the shaft is made of aluminum.

The shaft could be cut into or drilled into for a bolt to go into as to lock the shifter into the shaft. It's an idea, but no promised solution.

yeah the shaft must be aluminium, touched the welding rod to it but nothing happened and drilling the hole ive already tried, very tricky to get the drill bit started on the round shaft but looks like il have to give it another go as a last resort before swapping it out for a new one

Always a bad idea to weld on the lever. Sooner or later the motor will need maintainence. Then in order to get in the engine you gotta cut off those pieces and replace anyway. The replacement stuff is under $100 anyway. Just do it right. You will decrease the value of the bike SUBSTANCIALLY doing repairs like that. Beg or borrow the $$ if thats the problem.

Always a bad idea to weld on the lever. Sooner or later the motor will need maintainence. Then in order to get in the engine you gotta cut off those pieces and replace anyway. The replacement stuff is under $100 anyway. Just do it right. You will decrease the value of the bike SUBSTANCIALLY doing repairs like that. Beg or borrow the $$ if thats the problem.

I do agree with you. If it was welded to, it has a good chance at melting the seal.