Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400 Transmission Issues. (Fairly Urgent)

Hello All! 

As of yesterday I have been having trouble shifting gears on my DRZ. It would upshift without issue but sometimes it would refuse to downshift unless I gently lifted the shifter up a bit with my foot(Not enough to change gears but enough to get it a little above the "neutral" position) then down shifted. This technique seemed to work consistently but is far from ideal. 

Today I fiddled with it while cold and I have found that the shifter is rotationally looser than it normally is and I think that may be the issue.

My Guess: When I upshift the weight of the shifter is enough to bring it back down to the "neutral" position where as when I down shift the weight of the shifter holds it down so that I have to manually bring the shifter back up to neutral in order for it to work properly. I had a quick look at the parts diagram and my (uneducated guess) is is that the spring(#29 on diagram) could have broken. 

That being said I don't understand the transmission well enough to know if that may be the case and I imagine the spring wouldn't break unless something else broke first. 

To make matters worse I am currently in Guatemala on a ride to south america and parts availability as well as finding a good mechanic could prove difficult. But at least labour is cheap! 

Edited by katui

Sounds like a bad time to have a problem like this...  

Does it stay in gear without any problem?  How many miles on the bike?  Have the cases ever been split before?

Sounds like a bad time to have a problem like this...  

Does it stay in gear without any problem?  How many miles on the bike?  Have the cases ever been split before?

Stays in gear just fine. Up shifts without issue. ~55 000 kms. Never split the case before. Did remove the left and right covers when replacing my stator/Cam chain about 15 000 kms ago. 

Pull right cover, check the shifter spring, and the shift drum springs.... yes you will need a new right side cover gasket, oil and coolant.

Good to know I don't have to pull the tranny to check the spring. Its right behind the L in the lower left of this photo, correct? Is the other spring accessible from this side of the engine as well? Looks to be behind the mechanism attached to the long arm of the L. Oil and Coolant isn't an issue. I'll do some hunting to see if I can find a sheet of gasket paper at an auto parts store around here as getting one shipped here would be impractical. 

Does the shift lever return to its central position but seem like the spring is weak or lazy?  You have to help it a little bit? Or not return at all?  Yes probably spring item 29.

The hazard is if the spring breaks, there is a loose piece floating around in the motor.  So you have to take the broken pieces out even it you don't replace it.

You can ride the motorcycle without the spring.  Takes a little practice with the shift lever but not too bad.  I did it for a week.

If you have a place to work on it and a few tools you can save the motor oil and the coolant for reuse.  Or replace them if that is available to you.  You may be able to reuse the side cover gasket.  Sometimes you get lucky.  If you have to, you can make a new gasket.  Use a bit of sealer around the coolant passage.

You will need a large socket to remove the clutch. (27mm? maybe)  Put the transmission in 5th gear and use the rear brake to hold the clutch to remove the nut.  When the clutch is re-installed be careful to properly engage the plastic oil pump drive gear. Don't slam things together.

• Like 1

Stays in gear just fine. Up shifts without issue. ~55 000 kms. Never split the case before. Did remove the left and right covers when replacing my stator/Cam chain about 15 000 kms ago. 

Good to know I don't have to pull the tranny to check the spring. Its right behind the L in the lower left of this photo, correct? Is the other spring accessible from this side of the engine as well? Looks to be behind the mechanism attached to the long arm of the L. Oil and Coolant isn't an issue. I'll do some hunting to see if I can find a sheet of gasket paper at an auto parts store around here as getting one shipped here would be impractical. 

Yes that pic, two springs to look at

No a sheet of gasket material is not a great idea;;; middle of boatswain, maybe, but in the UK where you can have one sent to you door.. Would not suggest it. 

It is a very intricate gasket, and has some adhesive in specific spots to guard against coolant leaking into the case. 

Does the shift lever return to its central position but seem like the spring is weak or lazy?  You have to help it a little bit? Or not return at all?  Yes probably spring item 29.

The hazard is if the spring breaks, there is a loose piece floating around in the motor.  So you have to take the broken pieces out even it you don't replace it.

You can ride the motorcycle without the spring.  Takes a little practice with the shift lever but not too bad.  I did it for a week.

If you have a place to work on it and a few tools you can save the motor oil and the coolant for reuse.  Or replace them if that is available to you.  You may be able to reuse the side cover gasket.  Sometimes you get lucky.  If you have to, you can make a new gasket.  Use a bit of sealer around the coolant passage.

You will need a large socket to remove the clutch. (27mm? maybe)  Put the transmission in 5th gear and use the rear brake to hold the clutch to remove the nut.  When the clutch is re-installed be careful to properly engage the plastic oil pump drive gear. Don't slam things together.

Weak and lazy is what it is. Your second point is why I haven't ridden it yet since getting to my hotel and started to think about what could cause it. 

Good to know about the spring not being entirely necessary. By the looks of the parts Diagram you have to remove the shifter off the shaft and pull the shaft all the way through the engine in order to remove/replace the spring? I'll need to buy the socket tomorrow. I do have a tool kit with me but only up to 24mm. I have removed the clutch before when replacing the Cam Chain so I know the procedure well enough although last time I removed it the gasket didn't fair well. I'll see what I can do tomorrow morning, will probably try to find a shop that will let me borrow their tools(Don't entirely trust them with the bowels of my engine).

Thanks for your help. If it doesn't end up being that particular spring do you have any guesses for me to look into afterwards?

Yes that pic, two springs to look at

No a sheet of gasket material is not a great idea;;; middle of boatswain, maybe, but in the UK where you can have one sent to you door.. Would not suggest it. 

It is a very intricate gasket, and has some adhesive in specific spots to guard against coolant leaking into the case. 

I'll be checking the springs tomorrow once I find a shop where I can work on my Bike. I'm not in the UK, I think you miss read. I am in Guatemala(Central America), Antigua Guatemala more specifically and they don't sell the DRZ here nor in any of the countries bordering it. So It would be rather hard to come by the proper gasket. My plan was to try to buy a sheet of gasket paper and I also have blue gasket maker I can use to reinforce the seal around the coolant/oil orifices above the primary drive gear if that's what you advise. 

I'll be checking the springs tomorrow once I find a shop where I can work on my Bike. I'm not in the UK, I think you miss read. I am in Guatemala(Central America), Antigua Guatemala more specifically and they don't sell the DRZ here nor in any of the countries bordering it. So It would be rather hard to come by the proper gasket. My plan was to try to buy a sheet of gasket paper and I also have blue gasket maker I can use to reinforce the seal around the coolant/oil orifices above the primary drive gear if that's what you advise. 

Look for a PM

• Like 1

If it does not turn out to be that spring, you will be in a better position to identify the problem.  My guess is, it is that spring.  If the shift lever does not return and it is not binding, it is almost certainly that spring.  I just remembered, you will also need to release 1 snap ring to remove the shift shaft from the motor and a second snap ring (the same size) to remove the spring from the shaft.  Normally what happens is 1 leg of the spring will break off.

The spring is almost universal.  Once it is out you may be able to match it up with something available where you are that will work.  As for making a gasket, it is not my favorite thing.  I would rather buy than make. But I have made some pretty complex gaskets when I had to.  Just takes time and some times a few tries.  I'm sure you will figure it out whatever it takes.  The clutch nut is 27mm or 1 1/16".

• Like 1

If it does not turn out to be that spring, you will be in a better position to identify the problem.  My guess is, it is that spring.  If the shift lever does not return and it is not binding, it is almost certainly that spring.  I just remembered, you will also need to release 1 snap ring to remove the shift shaft from the motor and a second snap ring (the same size) to remove the spring from the shaft.  Normally what happens is 1 leg of the spring will break off.

The spring is almost universal.  Once it is out you may be able to match it up with something available where you are that will work.  As for making a gasket, it is not my favorite thing.  I would rather buy than make. But I have made some pretty complex gaskets when I had to.  Just takes time and some times a few tries.  I'm sure you will figure it out whatever it takes.  The clutch nut is 27mm or 1 1/16".

Beauty! I will try to hunt down a decent shop here where I can do the work my self. I also have the service manual as a PDF somewhere or another on my computer encase something like this happened. 

Thanks for your help. I'll update the thread once I have have more info. 

Belated Update:

It was indeed Spring #29. It was cracked but not yet sheared ...lucky since this meant I didn't have to deal with fishing a small hunk of metal out of my engine. 

Photos: 

The spring before removal(Nothing Obviously wrong):
http://i.imgur.com/ZUP9c0C.jpg

The Spring on the shaft, Now is obvious its broken:

http://i.imgur.com/7nA2taT.jpg

As soon as I took pliers to it to remove the spring from the shaft:

http://i.imgur.com/T6if4IX.jpg

So thanks All for your help. 

I just ordered the spring, 2 gaskets(1 as back up), and the 2 circlips(just in case) off motosport.com(only place that definitely ships to Guatemala I could find). 

Thanks for all your help once again. 

-Struan