Sunk my bike now what?

I got water in my engine from a creek that looked very shallow but turned into a mud pit. My question is how do I get the thing running again. I put the thing upside down, took the spark plug out, put it in gear and rolled the wheel and water and stuff came out the cylinder head from the spark pug hole. I also cleaned the air filter and changed the spark plug. The thing still won't run so my question is what do I do now? If it makes a difference the bike is a 2006 Rm 125

Edited by suzukiktm

The electronics may have compromised.  Be sure and dry out the ignition components as much as you can.  Change the engine oil repeatedly until nothing but oil is coming out of the drain.  Is it a  2 stroke or 4 stroke?  Make sure it is getting spark and has good compression. 

Change tranny oil also. And engine oil.

Remove flywheel cover and drain water.

The electronics may have compromised.  Be sure and dry out the ignition components as much as you can.  Change the engine oil repeatedly until nothing but oil is coming out of the drain.  Is it a  2 stroke or 4 stroke?  Make sure it is getting spark and has good compression.

Change tranny oil also. And engine oil.

Remove flywheel cover and drain water.

Thank you for the advice and I will do it. And it is a 2 stroke

Use wd40 inside the flywheel cover. It will help remove moisture.

If it was muddy water, I would be splitting the cases.....

Thank you for the advice and I will do it. And it is a 2 stroke

I think you may be right with just oil changes and drying out electronics, if it was not muddy water.

Mark

EDIT: Just read again and it was muddy. Probably split the cases, or just keep doing oil flushes. Plenty of bikes get drowned at out local swamp race, I'm not sure how many of the locals like to split cases though. After it dries out I think you should be mostly fine. 

Edited by BushPig

If it was muddy water, I would be splitting the cases.....

Use wd40 inside the flywheel cover. It will help remove moisture.

I think you may be right with just oil changes and drying out electronics, if it was not muddy water.

Mark

EDIT: Just read again and it was muddy. Probably split the cases, or just keep doing oil flushes. Plenty of bikes get drowned at out local swamp race, I'm not sure how many of the locals like to split cases though. After it dries out I think you should be mostly fine.

I'll know tomorrow if I have to split the cases (I pray to god I don't). I'll be changing the oil and looking at the flywheel. Thank you all.

I'll know tomorrow if I have to split the cases (I pray to god I don't). I'll be changing the oil and looking at the flywheel. Thank you all.

You wont get a good read off changing the oil. Sand/Silt can hide in the smallest places and passages that wont come out easily....Spending a bit of money now could save you a whole bunch in the future.....

Agreed with Monk, take the cylinder off first and check it out, then split the cases. Don't be lazy.

You wont get a good read off changing the oil. Sand/Silt can hide in the smallest places and passages that wont come out easily....Spending a bit of money now could save you a whole bunch in the future.....

Agreed with Monk, take the cylinder off first and check it out, then split the cases. Don't be lazy.

I can probably take the cylinder off but I don't how the hell to split the cases so I will probably have a friend look at it. If I need to put in a new crank I will probably just overhaul the whole with a 144 bore kit. Once again thank you because without this advice I would probably cost myself a whole crap load of money

Edited by suzukiktm

I drained water from the flywheel cover, changed the oil, and drained all the gas I could using the screw thing on the bottom of the carb. I tried starting it and it crank but doesn't start but it pisses fuel out the overflow tubes. The bikes starts for 2-3 seconds then dies when I pop start but it sounds almost like a 4 stroke because all it does is bog. Tomorrow I'm going to clean the carb completely if it doesn't work I'm at a loss. I will also spray wd40 on the flywheel. So if it doesn't start than what do I do? Rebuild it?

split the cases still and clean it out. If you rebuild it it'll just blow when you get it going from dirt in the bottom end. Also make sure you're getting spark, and check your timing just to be safe. It wouldn't go out cause of water I don't think but if it is out a bit it won't help your cause.

first time after u sunk it was it hard to kick? I had a buddy drown his bike once, it was water locked, and he force kicked it and broke a ring, just a thought.

If its pissing out the carb, you have crap in there.BEFORE splitting cases, remove carb and thoroughly clean the carb.

DON'T let it sit till it rusts then sell it to the next guy you're succesful at lying to, cause its not fun for him, seriously though id do a couple oil flushes then split the cases and give it a good kerosene bath

1378259350615.jpg

1378259396788.jpg

split the cases still and clean it out. If you rebuild it it'll just blow when you get it going from dirt in the bottom end. Also make sure you're getting spark, and check your timing just to be safe. It wouldn't go out cause of water I don't think but if it is out a bit it won't help your cause.

I checked the spark by putting a screwdriver in the spark plug cover thing and I zapped myself so it definitely has spark. More than likely I will have a friend look at it who knows a good amount about bikes

first time after u sunk it was it hard to kick? I had a buddy drown his bike once, it was water locked, and he force kicked it and broke a ring, just a thought.

No it was easy as normal which leads me to believe the carb is messed up.

If its pissing out the carb, you have crap in there.BEFORE splitting cases, remove carb and thoroughly clean the carb.

Yep that's what I plan to do tomorrow I pray to god it works. If not I might try and learn as I go how to split the cases.

DON'T let it sit till it rusts then sell it to the next guy you're succesful at lying to, cause its not fun for him, seriously though id do a couple oil flushes then split the cases and give it a good kerosene bath

I already flushed the oil and it did not appear to be dirty at all other than being black. What does the kerosene do? Eat away at the rust that already is starting to form and remove moisture?