Sign in to follow this  

Eric Gorr, how do you know?

Looking at a 06 YZ 250. The guy is claiming its got a 295 kit in it but has no receipts to back it up. The previous owner had installed it....

Other then the obvious "it should go better then a YZ 250" are there any identifying external marks? A EG on the side or something like that? Short of pulling the head and measuring the piston......which I will do if need be....

Personally I'd pass on it. Modded bikes are a pain.  I know I have bought a few.

• Like 2

Yea

Personally I'd pass on it. Modded bikes are a pain.  I know I have bought a few.

Yeah? Ive been looking to build a EG kitted YZ for quite some time (KTM KILLER).....I was thinking this was just a head start on the whole deal....

Yeah I am not a fan of bikes that have had much in the way of modifications.  Anything outside of simple bolt ons I get leary as you just never know what has or has not been done.

I just picked up a modded Yz 250.  It wasn't an Eric Gorr job, but does have a big bore kit in it.  I'm really glad I did it as I was in the same frame of mind as you monk (I wanted a big bore 250).  Sorry I can't help you on the EG verification though. 

I'm not sure but doesn't the EG300 have the cylinder cut down to install regular head gasket not OEM style o-rings? Would you not be able to see the edge of the gasket where head and cylinder compress? Not sure but just a thought.

Find a stock bike and mod it yourself.  If it is modded, do you know if it was jetted, or installed correctly.  Also, how long since the last top end job?  If the new owner had to put in a piston, he should have paperwork to prove piston size and an approximate install date.  It is up to you, but without paperwork to prove it, you may be getting into a mess.  I've been into plenty of "modded bikes" from friends that bought them and they are usually a mess, unless it is bolt on stuff, or they are newly modded with papers to prove it. 

Edited by rgray556
  • Like 1

Find a stock bike and mod it yourself.  If it is modded, do you know if it was jetted, or installed correctly.  Also, how long since the last top end job?  If the new owner had to put in a piston, he should have paperwork to prove piston size and an approximate install date.  It is up to you, but without paperwork to prove it, you may be getting into a mess.  I've been into plenty of "modded bikes" from friends that bought them and they are usually a mess, unless it is bolt on stuff, or they are newly modded. 

Agree and understand. The advantage is the price on this bike.....The guy had bought the bike from another guy who had the work done. Sounds like I kinda thought, look for something else and build it from scratch.....

06 YZs are going for $4k up here so its tough to find a good deal.....

Eric does not mark any cylinder as a standard.  As mentioned earlier, Eric's top ends do replace the 2 rubber gaskets with a metal gasket.  You may be able to see it.  You should post this question in the Yamaha 2-stroke forum.  There are a lot of guys over there with Eric Gorr bikes.  why don't you just pick up a 250 and have the work done yourself?  An EG295 aren't all the same, he custom cuts/tunes them to your needs.

MAX!!!

If the deal you can get, you can buy the bike and completely rebuild the engine for the same price as buying a stock bike, then do it.  Make sure everything else is good.  Look at it as what you spend on the stock bike vs. a modded bike that needs an engine rebuild, unless you have paperwork from the owner in hand to prove what it is and approximate hours on it.  It really isnt that expensive to get a big bore piston, but think about if the cylinder is no good because of bad jetting, thats 300 right off the bat, or if a lower rod bearing is toast.  Look at the "good deal" and compare it to the cost of doing it yourself.

Edited by rgray556

stock 06 yz250's are already pretty baller, ask me how I know. I guess a 295 would be pretty cool. It only took me a couple years to toast a tranny, all I can think is more power more problems.

I owned a 08 YZ 250, other then not having a plate like my 500 it was the single best bike I have owned and raced. The suspension, handling, feel, etc etc just fit me to a tee. That's why I want another one. I actually sold my 08 for a 2012 250xc. But coming off the 4t and owning a few 300s I do miss the torque that a YZ doesn't have, hence the reason for the 295 kit.....

• Like 1

I owned a 08 YZ 250, other then not having a plate like my 500 it was the single best bike I have owned and raced. The suspension, handling, feel, etc etc just fit me to a tee. That's why I want another one. I actually sold my 08 for a 2012 250xc. But coming off the 4t and owning a few 300s I do miss the torque that a YZ doesn't have, hence the reason for the 295 kit.....

I think we all know, that monk here has the skills to tell if a bike is good or not.....mechanically and riding ability. He's got his heart set on a 295 YZ, that's what he wants, this isn't in the "what bike should I buy" section.

He was asking a question.

Back on topic. I've seen nothing as far as a "visible sign" of a 295 kit....but i've been wrong before.

• Like 3

Pretty sure I saw the bike you're talking about on CL the other day. Looked like a decent bike, perked my interest. If you take it for a test spin you should figure it out pretty quick.

Funny EG doesn't mark his cylinders, typically porters/ builders mark them to know whats done.

All the EG YZ295 kits use a metal gasket.  It will be pretty obvious.  In stock form, the head looks like it sits perfectly flush with the cylinder.  There are usually tabs on the EG gasket as well.

Honestly, start with a stock bike.  EG's kits all turn out differently.  Big consistency problems.  The initial low end is nice, but you won't get it running like a properly set up KTM 300 motor.  Plus, if you start with a stock bike, you can get a ESR 325cc kit or 345cc kit that are MUCH more robust and properly engineered for around $800 USD (or a little less if I do a volume order again this fall).

Plus, if it's got a big bore kit on it already, that means it's been RIDDEN.  Modded bikes are ALWAYS a pain to dead with second-hand too.  I've also bought a few, and spent more effort than I planned on to sort them out.

Lately I've been buying my bikes super cheap and clapped out.  I go through all used bikes the same way anyway, but I just come out about $1000 ahead doing it this way.  I'm of the opinion there are two types of used dirt bikes - roached bikes, and roached bikes that the seller is lying about.  So, if you're spending money, spend the money to get something that is minimal hours and unmolested.

• Like 2

All the EG YZ295 kits use a metal gasket. It will be pretty obvious. In stock form, the head looks like it sits perfectly flush with the cylinder. There are usually tabs on the EG gasket as well.

Honestly, start with a stock bike. EG's kits all turn out differently. Big consistency problems. The initial low end is nice, but you won't get it running like a properly set up KTM 300 motor. Plus, if you start with a stock bike, you can get a ESR 325cc kit or 345cc kit that are MUCH more robust and properly engineered for around $800 USD (or a little less if I do a volume order again this fall).

Plus, if it's got a big bore kit on it already, that means it's been RIDDEN. Modded bikes are ALWAYS a pain to dead with second-hand too. I've also bought a few, and spent more effort than I planned on to sort them out.

Lately I've been buying my bikes super cheap and clapped out. I go through all used bikes the same way anyway, but I just come out about $1000 ahead doing it this way. I'm of the opinion there are two types of used dirt bikes - roached bikes, and roached bikes that the seller is lying about. So, if you're spending money, spend the money to get something that is minimal hours and unmolested.

You don't think a 295 can compete with a 300xc? I always thought they were comparable. I have nothing against the 300xc but the YZ is just a complete motorcycle and I'm itchin to get back on one again....

I'm of the opinion there are two types of used dirt bikes - roached bikes, and roached bikes that the seller is lying about.  So, if you're spending money, spend the money to get something that is minimal hours and unmolested.

When shopping for used bikes, I look for 100% stock/original bikes with super low hours. There are bikes out there that have spent their entire lives in the garage, but you have to be patient to find them.