Corner that gave me fits.

Went to a track I never rode before on Saturday. They had a few of these corners where the inside line was kind of higher the outside (which was actually just a flat corner). There were 3 total, but 1 in particular was quite tight if you wanted to stay in the rut. Early on I stalled twice slowing down too much, Later on I just said screw the rut and kinda came out of it. It may be hard to tell in the video below, but you will get the idea. It is @ 0:48.

I wasnt sure if most people just go into it real fast, slam on the brakes, and try to stay in that way by sliding the rear around like a powerslide'ish. Or if slowing down to get into it is better...or just blast through however it takes. Just in a race situation, if a guy was on the outside, I would then be blasting right into him, possibly taking both of us down. Where if I could make this corner faster and stay inside, itd be better.

Also did a bit more jumpin then I thought I would when I first got there. "Rolling" some of the doubles here was straight up brutal on the landing aspect, lol. Just pop you up too much and plop you down. Was nasty, so I just forced myself to do em. 30+ C rider, lol...so I dont go BIIG really, though sometimes I feel like I could if I had the bawls.

And as usual, once i re-watch my vids, i feel like I could be charging harder at some points. Keep in mind a few of these corners was pretty slippery mud...so I kinda just tried to stay smooth, haha.

Track is called Big Air MX

Edited by J_WR2fitty

track looks fun, i watched up to :50 or so, and I see the corner you are talking about. The rut is inside of where you are going, it's hard to tell exactly what I'm looking at in turns of slopes, size and stuff. I think the thing to think about through that inside is line choice. I'm guessing most of the fast guys were taking the rut? The problem I see is the path you are taking is a V.

Here is my take, bare with me. The max speed you can carry through a line in a corner is dependent on the radius of the line through that corner. The smaller the radius, the lower your max speed can be. Your line choice looks like a V on the gopro. The problem with a V line choice, when you reach the apex, the radius of your line is minimized. Your mid corner speed is also minimized, you have to stand the bike up, go slow, it's bad. 

So the easiest choice is to take the rut. It's an easy way to increase that corner apex radius, with a little practice. As for taking that inside with out riding the rut, that's more tricky. Again the key is going to be maximizing that radius through the corner. How you approach the corner, through braking early and powering through, regular smooth, or trying to square it up is up to you. A few things to try, set your self up further to the right coming into that corner, instead of diving so deep into the corner, come in from the outside and try to cut in as close to the rut as you can get, maximize that radius.

Edited by Die_trying

Gotcha, thing was, that lil inside line was really tight and pronounced. So basically if i came from outside, id have to climb up the lil side (since its raised above the outside line), and then get into the rut. The way the line is, its like you go inside, and its a super tight left turn, which was hard to get into the rut on at all. Like i said, id just kinda partially get in, then just hit the gas and end up out of it (saying f it, lol).

Those things are put there to ideally make two equal lines in the corner.  Most take the inside, but sometimes the outside can be faster, especially towards the end of the day when the rut in the inside gets gnarly.

Those things are put there to ideally make two equal lines in the corner.  Most take the inside, but sometimes the outside can be faster, especially towards the end of the day when the rut in the inside gets gnarly.

Yea, I think part of my problem sometimes, and I notice it whenever I watch my own videos...is being a lil too worried bout goin down at times. So in akward, or slippery corners, I go way too slow to make sure I track nice and true, get in the rut, etc, vs just lettin it hang out, and lettin the rear come around a lil if it should. And as usual, also slowing down too much before some corners. Need to get better at trusting the bermed corners to just hit em hard, and hit it...vs. slowing down to make sure I get nice and set in there, and THEN get back on it. Just too much coasting. I think i am going to practice a diff track Sunday (maybe), followed by practice/race at a diff track the following weekend. Next weekend, and the prac day at the racing track (they do prac/race weekends, not much for reg practice)...just gonna try to go into berms a lot hotter, and if i should bobble or even hit the deck, so be it...its practice.

I realize some corners warrant a go slow to go fast approach...far as being a lil more finesse, instead of just hittin the berm under power and layin it over. I just recently checked sag, and the bike is handling pretty dang good...so I cant really say that its a bike issue (though I kinda wish it was, easier to fix!) Lol.

Far as how any of that pertains to what you said. The outside line was pretty much entirely flat. And I dont think for ME itd be much faster. i tried both, and it felt equally blah. While other flat corners I feel like I do a lot better at kinda driftin the rear and keepin momentum for the most part. So, in a corner like that...I think I should just go after it, and see what absolutely doesn't work, instead of doing my usual of doing what IS, even when it isnt too fast.

I dont plan to be a great rider...itd be cool, but im a realist, lol. @ 31, in 30+ c...my goal is to be competitive. I jump some stuff, but I dont do everything I see guys int he class do. So I need to not disadvantage myself in stupid corners I should be able to do a lot better.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

It looks to me like you decide not to countersteer in the tighter corners, you slow down excessively, and start leaning left and stabbing left to try and hook the bike around, you aren't committing to the corner, and in fact are sabotaging yourself quite badly, making a relatively easy corner 10x harder.

You know how to countersteer, since you do it on the wider corners, but on the tight corners I think your brain is telling you to be careful, go slow, don't fall, when actually you need to be countersteering much harder than usual, leaning over much harder than usual, boot kicked way out to the side, and most importantly, rolling on the throttle aggresively to keep your front end light and giving the bike directions so it is less affected by all the garbage on the ground.

There are a few things you can do.  One is to get all your braking done before your even in the corner.  Have you tried turning while on the brakes?  Not going to happen especially with the rear brake you should drag the front brake a bit depending on the corner.  2nd is work on that throttle application and carry that next gear.  Ever watch a national?  Those guys are barely on the gas until the apex when they start to open it up.  Work on getting on the gas a little bit and work up to opening it up as your at the apex.  What your doing is giving the bike too much gas and you have to shut off which loses valuable seconds than if you were patient and stayed on the gas but not as much applied.  Make sense?

Now that particular corner you are asking about looks like you made it and either (A) got on the gas too soon or B. gave it too much gas too soon.  You can also drag that front brake a little to keep that front end turning sharper and planted going around that corner.

Edited by Ringo25

There are a few things you can do. One is to get all your braking done before your even in the corner. Have you tried turning while on the brakes? Not going to happen especially with the rear brake you should drag the front brake a bit depending on the corner. 2nd is work on that throttle application and carry that next gear. Ever watch a national? Those guys are barely on the gas until the apex when they start to open it up. Work on getting on the gas a little bit and work up to opening it up as your at the apex. What your doing is giving the bike too much gas and you have to shut off which loses valuable seconds than if you were patient and stayed on the gas but not as much applied. Make sense?

Now that particular corner you are asking about looks like you made it and either (A) got on the gas too soon or B. gave it too much gas too soon. You can also drag that front brake a little to keep that front end turning sharper and planted going around that corner.

Sort of makes sense. I know the front brakes can help tight turns, do i do it by habit or always know where to...no. the part about carrying the gear i dont fully get what u mean. I do know there are corners where i feel super smooth, and almost like i shot out of a cannon on the exit...probably the feel i always need.

Also, ya like i said, i worry too much about going down...and def dont get on it enough. If i was getting on it, i think the oversteer and leaning would be my natural reaction.

Thanks

He's trying to explain to carry a higher gear thru the corner. It helps to get into a broader power band and you wont have to shift up so quickly. Tight corners are a bitch. I used to in the day ( 2 stroke ) fly into them , brake slide the turn clutch out and go. 4 strokes have a problem as they are difficult to brake slide and don't have the rpms to rip out of the turn. Like they said earlier though, use front brake a lot to get your speed down quickly, settle in to the rut as fast as possible, leave in a gear higher than you think you can, by using the clutch on exit, with smooth acceleration.