Sign in to follow this  

Looking to buy My first 450

So I will be in the market for a another bike soon I have an 01 cr250 i ride both woods and mx on the new bike will do the same. I spin my own wrenches always have had 2 strokes though.

I have heard a lot if horror stories from ppl about the cost of keeping these bikes up and running and that some years have bad valves. What is the best option for my first 450 I am looking at 07+ for the year

Thanks

terrobelone,

I was in your same exact shoes last year! Was still racing an '01 CR250 and kept getting told that I was working too hard (42 yrs old) on the CR 250 and need to move to a 4 stroke. I picked up an '09 450 and what a difference!!! I still think I'm faster in the desert on the 2 stroke but in MX, waaaaay easier on the 4 stroke!! The money thing for the 4 stroke...... I have already done top, bottom and sent the head off to Short Block Charlies in Phoenix to have valves/seats and some minor "cleaning up" of the head. Yes, it was expensive but well "worth" it. I say "worth" it because NONE OF IT WAS NEEDED!!!!!  

Being new to the 4 strokes I took some crap advice!! This was obviously before I started following ThumperTalk!!!! My bike "all of a sudden" wouldnt kick over at a race and I got  "its the piston" "its a valve dropped" "its a bent valve" etc...... all that money later, I come to TT and these guys solved it with a $54 recalled Decompression Kit part..........

None the less, like the '01 CR 250, I am feeling that with common maintenance that these bikes will last forever.

Thanks guys I did a search and it seems like a bunch of 16 year olds saying get the newest bike .... I wanted some expert advice

Get the 2013-3014 and put a ProMoto Billet kickstand on it, full-coverage skid plate, have the forks and shock revalved for woods/mx combo, and you're good.  You can remap the ECU if it's too twitchy on the power delivery in the woods, but it's mellow compared to a 2007-2008 bike.

Get the 2013-3014 and put a ProMoto Billet kickstand on it, full-coverage skid plate, have the forks and shock revalved for woods/mx combo, and you're good. You can remap the ECU if it's too twitchy on the power delivery in the woods, but it's mellow compared to a 2007-2008 bike.

How reliable are these bikes I don't want to be tearing it down every 20 hours

Woods and mx? Easily 50hrs before you even need to think about tearing into the top end to check the piston/rings for wear. Ride a friend's first, then you'll see... I personally like the CRF250R better for 4-6hr woods rides, but the 450 are ok too.

Woods and mx? Easily 50hrs before you even need to think about tearing into the top end to check the piston/rings for wear. Ride a friend's first, then you'll see... I personally like the CRF250R better for 4-6hr woods rides, but the 450 are ok too.

Why the 250 ? Also looks like you have a 250 af I thought about that route

Why the 250 ? Also looks like you have a 250 af I thought about that route

I just prefer the agility of the lighter smaller-displacement bikes, and the lower reciprocating mass, in the woods for ease of turning and riding in general. That 265AF I have listed in the classifieds was my primary woods bike, recently been using it at the MX track. The AF are the best if you got the coin as it doesn't get any lighter and the handling is just phenomenal. The 250-4 needs a bunch of motor work to be quick tho, the 250/265AF are just fine, modded or not.

I just prefer the agility of the lighter smaller-displacement bikes, and the lower reciprocating mass, in the woods for ease of turning and riding in general. That 265AF I have listed in the classifieds was my primary woods bike, recently been using it at the MX track. The AF are the best if you got the coin as it doesn't get any lighter and the handling is just phenomenal. The 250-4 needs a bunch of motor work to be quick tho, the 250/265AF are just fine, modded or not.

I have toyed with the idea of building one with my 01 cr250 and getting the newest blown up Crf I can find

How bad is it ? Money time and skill level I know a very good welder that would be up to it but he told me he doesn't want any part of fabrication just for me to bring him parts to weld together

I only ride Service Honda bikes, they do a great job and stand behind their work.

Many people make imitations that they seem to like and that's absolutely the cheaper route to go. Whether or not you have a good bike when you're done is the gamble. And heat-treating the entire frame after welding is a good idea...

I only ride Service Honda bikes, they do a great job and stand behind their work.

Many people make imitations that they seem to like and that's absolutely the cheaper route to go. Whether or not you have a good bike when you're done is the gamble. And heat-treating the entire frame after welding is a good idea...

Well that's out of my price range in looking to be between 3k-4k

How are the 09s I see a lot of good deals on them

I have toyed with the idea of building one with my 01 cr250 and getting the newest blown up Crf I can find

How bad is it ? Money time and skill level I know a very good welder that would be up to it but he told me he doesn't want any part of fabrication just for me to bring him parts to weld together

Save yourself the grief.

Your '01 engine will bolt into the newer CR250 chassis with different head stay

'05 and newer CR chassis have a little better turning than the '02-'04 due to fork axel being pulled in 5mm.

'01 engine is arguably the best 250cc 2 stroke engine ever made. I sometimes I think Honda pulled it in favor of the case reed set-up to insure 450 sales.

The newer chassis is way better than the '01. I've dreamed of my Tom Morgan '01 engine in my '05 Factory Connection Chassis.

That said - you will love the 450. I moved from the CR's to the CRF's in '06. They are heavier.

The '06 feels substantially bigger than the CR.

The '07 felt better and ran like a rocket, but I think it felt more that way because of hit in power band.

I've since settled on the '08 model (I've ridden several newer ones, but frankly like the '08s the best for lots of reasons). It feels smaller than the '06,

has broad power and lots of it. It retains the heavier 6 spring clutch and is carburated. Forks are OK shock is great. Pretty rounded package

all together. Head and engine are solid, and Honda parts seem to be the cheapest. Regular oil changes and an hour meter are needed if

you want to avoid any rebuild night mares. I normally see about 80 hrs before I need a piston change. I check the valves every 15 hrs @ my oil

change. I've had no major failures since I made the switch.

Edited by oldfrt613

2009 Service Hondas? If you can get one in decent shape for $8k or less you're doing well.

Well that's out of my price range in looking to be between 3k-4kHow are the 09s I see a lot of good deals on them
Edited by Eddie8v

2009 Service Hondas? If you can get one in decent shape for $8k or less you're doing well.

No 2009 crf450

I'm going to try and keep the 2001 cr250

I have put a lot of work into the cr and don't care to sell it just want to add a four stroke to my arsenal

You really can't compare the newer chassis to the CR250R chassis: they are old news... all the HRC research went into the CRF starting in 2003-2004 and the bikes are tons better than the CR can ever be...

Save yourself the grief.

Your '01 engine will bolt into the newer CR250 chassis with different head stay

'05 and newer CR chassis have a little better turning than the '02-'04 due to fork axel being pulled in 5mm.

'01 engine is arguably the best 250cc 2 stroke engine ever made. I sometimes I think Honda pulled it in favor of the case reed set-up to insure 450 sales.

The newer chassis is way better than the '01. I've dreamed of my Tom Morgan '01 engine in my '05 Factory Connection Chassis.

That said - you will love the 450. I moved from the CR's to the CRF's in '06. They are heavier.

The '06 feels substantially bigger than the CR.

The '07 felt better and ran like a rocket, but I think it felt more that way because of hit in power band.

I've since settled on the '08 model (I've ridden several newer ones, but frankly like the '08s the best for lots of reasons). It feels smaller than the '06,

has broad power and lots of it. It retains the heavier 6 spring clutch and is carburated. Forks are OK shock is great. Pretty rounded package

all together. Head and engine are solid, and Honda parts seem to be the cheapest. Regular oil changes and an hour meter are needed if

you want to avoid any rebuild night mares. I normally see about 80 hrs before I need a piston change. I check the valves every 15 hrs @ my oil

change. I've had no major failures since I made the switch.

Are all these threads in here about them not starting due to valves zeroing out? Or are these bike nightmares ?

You need to buy a new, or very low-hr, bike to ensure proper maintenance.

You really can't compare the newer chassis to the CR250R chassis: they are old news... all the HRC research went into the CRF starting in 2003-2004 and the bikes are tons better than the CR can ever be...

I can - because I have 250F's also.

I raced 250R's against the 450F's well into '06 - great handling bikes after '01

I can - because I have 250F's also.

I raced 250R's against the 450F's well into '06 - great handling bikes after '01

2009-2009 was good for CRF250R. 2010-2013 are great...