Thoughts on the 200 xc?

Hey guys!  I'm trying to decide on what bike to get, and I've been looking at a couple different bikes, and found a clean 2009 200 xc.  I want to get a two stroke, and this bike seems to fit my needs pretty well.  My only problem is I've never ridden a two stroke, or all that many dirt bikes for that matter.  I'm new to dirt biking, previously rode quads, and now I'm going to make the switch.  I ride dirt roads, along with a few trails in between and plan to make a few trips to my local mx track eventually.  My buddies ride 250f's mostly, a wr, kx and one rides a ttr 250, so we're all pretty unsure about two strokes.  What do you guys think? What do you think about the bike in general?  As for the 2009, any problems with that year? How do you think it'll be be getting used to the bike as a beginner? Is it a very high maintenance bike? I've posted about a 200 xc-w before, how different are the two bikes? This bike seems to be pretty well rounded, what are your opinions on it? Hoping to have a lot more experience with two less wheels by this time next year!

Thanks!

They are great bikes....the transmission has a slightly tighter ratio then the XCW line. The suspension is great as is the motor. The bike is lighter and faster then any 250f. The 2t will require less maintenance then the 4ts as there are no valves to adjust...... 

If I was lighter the 200 would be a top choice for me.....

They are great bikes....the transmission has a slightly tighter ratio then the XCW line. The suspension is great as is the motor. The bike is lighter and faster then any 250f. The 2t will require less maintenance then the 4ts as there are no valves to adjust...... 

If I was lighter the 200 would be a top choice for me.....

Good to know, does the xc have open cartridge forks like the xc-w? I think I read that xc's have closed, at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Thanks!

Good to know, does the xc have open cartridge forks like the xc-w? I think I read that xc's have closed, at least that's what I'm hoping for.

Thanks!

I don't think so. For your riding and skill level I doubt you would notice the difference anyway....The OC forks are a great fork and probably a better fork overall for a slower less skilled rider. They will have a slightly better bump absorption and better flex characteristics then the CC forks. The CC forks are better for a rider who is faster and needs more bottoming resistance. That being said you do give up quite a bit of plushness to the OC forks..... Edited by originalmonk

I don't think so. For your riding and skill level I doubt you would notice the difference anyway....The OC forks are a great fork and probably a better fork overall for a slower less skilled rider. They will have a slightly better bump absorption and better flex characteristics then the CC forks. The CC forks are better for a rider who is faster and needs more bottoming resistance. That being said you do give up quite a bit of plushness to the OC forks.....

Ok, thanks, I know I won't notice it now, but I'm planning to keep this bike for a while, so I'd like something that'll still work well when I gain skill and start going faster, or start hitting larger jumps.

Thanks!

Ok, thanks, I know I won't notice it now, but I'm planning to keep this bike for a while, so I'd like something that'll still work well when I gain skill and start going faster, or start hitting larger jumps.

Thanks!

The only reason I switched mine off my 500EXC was because I had the option..... The biggest improvement for me came from switching the cast triple clamps for billet ones. Even when you get faster and more skilled, a re-valved set of suspension will be the ticket. I wouldn't think that OC forks are less then anything else out there....

As far as I know you should have CC forks on the XC.  The XCW has OC forks.  My 08 XC has CC forks.

The 200 XC was one of the three bikes (250 sx and 150 sx were the other ones) I was looking at buying before I pulled the trigger on my 09 150 sx.  I had ridden one before and was amazed at how easy it was to ride. The bike has two characteristics really.  If you are a beginner, the bike can be lugged until you get used to the power because 2t's are generally a little more "touchy" than 4t's.  Once you get used to it though, it's a pretty quick bike that will ditch 250f's with ease in the right hands.  I'd say try it out if you can, cause they're pretty amazing bikes  :thumbsup: .   

The 200 XC was one of the three bikes (250 sx and 150 sx were the other ones) I was looking at buying before I pulled the trigger on my 09 150 sx.  I had ridden one before and was amazed at how easy it was to ride. The bike has two characteristics really.  If you are a beginner, the bike can be lugged until you get used to the power because 2t's are generally a little more "touchy" than 4t's.  Once you get used to it though, it's a pretty quick bike that will ditch 250f's with ease in the right hands.  I'd say try it out if you can, cause they're pretty amazing bikes  :thumbsup: .   

Thanks! That's something I was hoping to hear! I thought about a 150 too, but figured the 200 would fit me a little better, since you can lug them a little better.  I wish I had a way to try one out, but the only way to get one here in Newfoundland is to get them out of province, as nobody has them and the last ktm dealer dropped them a little while ago.  I'll take your word for it though ;)