Sign in to follow this  

Project bikes: 96 CR250 vs. 01 YZ250

Hey, everyone. I'm considering a purchase between these two project bikes:

96 CR250, all there except probably needs new topend, $300:

http://waco.craigslist.org/mcy/4004274178.html

01 YZ250, all there, transmission is seized, $400:

http://waco.craigslist.org/mcy/3992098192.html

Seems like the YZ would be a better choice because it's 5 years newer, but I don't know how costly transmission work can be.

What do y'all think?

I woudln't personally deal with a bike with transmission problems. A top end is nothing and even though it's a 96, you could really make a bike out of it no problem. The steel frames are much better then the later models anyways.

I'm a little confused by his listing.  Does it come with a 500cc engine or the original 250cc engine?

Sounds like whatever engine it comes with is going to require a lot of work.  

The 96 CR250 is an iconic/collectible bike.

this may be true but the yz seems better shape, not missing as many parts. I'd get the yz and keep an eye on eBay for a bottom end.

this may be true but the yz seems better shape, not missing as many parts. I'd get the yz and keep an eye on eBay for a bottom end.

you can get a full tyranny on eBay now for just $90. You're gonna have alot more then that into that cr. granted its 100 cheaper but Im sure you could talk the yz guy down to 350/300

Seriously?  

The YZ looks like it's missing a shit load more than the CR.  Both engines are apart and in boxes.  At least with the Honda you'll have a desireable bike that can easily be sold later on.  The YZ is just another YZ.  Both bikes in running condition the CR with blow the YZ away in every aspect.

Keep in mind, I don't like either brand.  But if I were (theoretically speaking) to buy a (gulp) Honda...it would be a 96 CR250.  And I wouldn't post it on TT or anywhere else to save my reputation.

Edited by Jeekinz
  • Like 2

That 96 looks awesome, a good motor would be easy to come by and for $300 you can't go wrong. I'd do it in a second

Seriously?  

The YZ looks like it's missing a shit load more than the CR.  Both engines are apart and in boxes.  At least with the Honda you'll have a desireable bike that can easily be sold later on.  The YZ is just another YZ.  Both bikes in running condition the CR with blow the YZ away in every aspect.

Keep in mind, I don't like either brand.  But if I were (theoretically speaking) to buy a (gulp) Honda...it would be a 96 CR250.  And I wouldn't post it on TT or anywhere else to save my reputation.

This is just retarded ...lolololol....old YZ's are plenty "desirable". Probably the most popular with the biggest following/aftermarket.  The 90's steel framed CR's were good bikes for their time... but nothing special. I had one so I aint talking out my ass like you appear to be doing.

• Like 1

I had a 2001 yz with low hours last year.  I now have a 2008 yz.  but I would probably get the 1996 CR over the 2001 yz.  The Cr from that year is badass and everybody loves it.  It also has an easier problem to dea with.  The top end is nothing to rebuild.  The transmission is always a bitch on every bike, but the YZ is the WORST.

The 90's steel framed CR's were good bikes for their time... but nothing special. 

You make a statement like that but I'm the one talking out of my ass?  haha...good one.  I'm guessing I was your age now back in 1996.

• Like 1

You make a statement like that but I'm the one talking out of my ass?  haha...good one.  I'm guessing I was your age now back in 1996.

The one bike I wanted more than any other.  As an adult, I finally got it.  It will have to be pulled from my cold, dead hands before it ever leaves my possession.