Sign in to follow this  

finding TDC with a rekluse

I'm looking to check my valves .....How can I find TOP DEAD CENTER with a rekluse clutch installed?  2009 450exc. what a pain in the a s s .

thanks

Thank you! Will I be able to reuse the gasket ?

Edited by dirtfernie

Yes, the gasket is normally reusable for a number of times if you are careful during removal.  Note that finding TDC is not necessary if all you want to do is to check valve clearances.

okay good point why not?  i suspect tight valves so i can check the clearance without tdc , but to adjust i will need to find tdc?

Im a rookie here, im trying to find out why im having starting problems after the bike is warmed up.  it starts no problem cold just not after ive been out for awhile, i have to kick it over a million times before it gets started.  any tips > anything thanks!

okay good point why not?  i suspect tight valves so i can check the clearance without tdc , but to adjust i will need to find tdc?

Im a rookie here, im trying to find out why im having starting problems after the bike is warmed up.  it starts no problem cold just not after ive been out for awhile, i have to kick it over a million times before it gets started.  any tips > anything thanks!

i would first look at the yets and spark plug ;)

• Like 1

i would first look at the yets and spark plug ;)

i just checked the plug and it doesnt look so good a moderate amount of carbon build up after not so many hours.  any reason why that would happen?

Too Rich. Can you post a photo of the plug?

alright , solutions to being to rich? that will affect starting while the bike is warm?  ill try to post a pic later

Edited by dirtfernie

Will need to jet. Did you happen to buy the bike and then move some where? I find that this is the number one cause of bad jetting. 

same elevation as place purchased, guy said he was having problems starting the bike "once and a while"   so if I need to rejet no problem, I am at 1000m what jets should I get?

currently bike starts great cold, idles fine when running its just restarting after ive been out for a bit and the engine it hot.

and thanks for the help !

same elevation as place purchased, guy said he was having problems starting the bike "once and a while"   so if I need to rejet no problem, I am at 1000m what jets should I get?

currently bike starts great cold, idles fine when running its just restarting after ive been out for a bit and the engine it hot.

and thanks for the help !

It will depend on what the plug shows. the plug is like a jetting datalogger. Make sure when you take the photo that you are looking down into the area inside the plug. I don't know enough about KTM's carbs to give you a "this is what to run" answer. However from my experience you will need to lean out your slow speed jet (pilot) to solve starting jetting issues. Do you have an adjustable fuel screw? if not get one.

this can cause a cloged pilot jet. Try to clean your yets and air filter and addjust fuel screw.

hope it helps

for me way to rich what jetting you have, witch needle, how big pilot yet. Spark plug color is not a 100% indicator. Black spark as yours can cause a failure of spark plug or you can have a air screw too much open and motor was idling for few minutes,...... i would change a spark plug i have jad on mine ktm 450exc 2011 spark ok motor didnt start after change a spark all ok. You can not test a spark plug under compression so the best way is to buy new.

for me way to rich what jetting you have, witch needle, how big pilot yet. Spark plug color is not a 100% indicator. Black spark as yours can cause a failure of spark plug or you can have a air screw too much open and motor was idling for few minutes,...... i would change a spark plug i have jad on mine ktm 450exc 2011 spark ok motor didnt start after change a spark all ok. You can not test a spark plug under compression so the best way is to buy new.

The angle is good on the last shot but you need to get in closer. ShadowThe is right, The plug is not a 100% perfect tell, but it can be a good indicator. Start with a new plug, ride the bike for 20 - 30 min, try to hit the entire RPM band and then pull the plug again. Also grab a manual and reset your jetting back to stock for your elevation and use that as a base line. Often times people go crazy with their jetting and spend a lot of time just trying to find anything at all that works even remotely well.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378864427.840494.jpg After about an hour of hard rpm riding, slow and fast

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378864518.972687.jpg

New plug, still super hard start after I shut the bike down and tried to restart it. I have not yet check my jetting