Which one is better

stick with the blaster, its fun, its cheap, and easy to through it round. u can rebuild a blaster top end for a couple hundred. to rebuild a 400ex top end it will cost u bout 500. valves and stuff r expensive

A "top end rebuild" on a 4t is usually just a piston and rings....If you cook the cylinder it's just another reason to go with a bore.

You really have to be doing something wrong to cook the cylinder head...I've personally never done that before and I ride my bikes like I stole them.

when was the 400ex first made? the blaster was first introduced in 1987 then ended because of stupid ass tree huggers in 2006. parts are still easy to find and its cheap, u can buy  fmf pipe for a blaster for bout 300 how much is a fmf for a 400 ex? probly close to 500. parts for 2 strokes are cheaper, and 2 strokes are more fun to ride than 4 strokes.  4ts are to heavy to thrown and have fun in a yard the blaster u could have fun in a yard thats only 100 square foot

Shouldn't have to worry about the head gasket if you ride it correctly. If you sit there and do burnouts and keep it on rev limiter that will be the first thing to go...But what bike doesn't have problems when you beat on it like that?

I had my 440 (also was a 99' :ride: ) for 4 years and I only blew one head gasket towards the end of the ownership.