Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about a new bike for my wife.....

My wife rides a CRF150F, she is a WHOPPING 98#. The 150 weighs in at 225 (dry) and I am trying to talk her into a KTM 150 EXC, but I'm not positive that it's the right bike for her....Of course if she doesn't like it, I WILL beat the living hell out of that bike...but that's another post. Her riding ability is OK, not great, not bad, but OK. I (yes I know) think that her specific motorcycle experience is holding her back from being a much better rider than she is. Her "bike" experience has been, a 77 XR75 (that bike kicks ass, but is way to small), an XR100, (gutless! I wonder...if it will get up any hill, more or less the one I'm looking at), her current CRF150F (heavy azz, suspension-less "girls" bike) and a couple spouts on my sons CR85......which she stopped riding (amazingly) with the biggest grin on her face to point out that "it is scary fast in 5th gear".....she loved the feel of the CR, but well, it is a CR85, which is "scary fast" and IMO "to quick" (not to fast) for a trail rider. I was reading about the smooth power delivery of the 150 EXC and thought "wow! suspension, light, good power delivery, what wouldn't she like about this bike?". So we are going to look at one tomorrow. Does anyone have comments on my train of thought..yes I know KTM is ruining off road motorcycles...especially by having a bike for every rider....blah blah blah, but a YZ 125 isn't a bike for her...or any 125 (I think). Most manufacturers only make bikes for her size in OVERLY HEAVY 4 STROKE drag, no light little 4t or 2t bike...EXCEPT KTM, so?

Ok I'll throw it out there. What about a CRF150R or RB? Linear power, nice suspension, easy to handle, sometimes a bitch to start. . . Never addressed that with mine. . . but, it won't contribute to the decline of off-road motorcycles. Should be able to pick up a used one cheap, I would think. Let us know what you get.

Does she want a new bike or are you "talking" her into one for another reason.  I've been married 20 years.  If my wife doesn't want it and I get it, it generally sits and collects dust.

Ok I'll throw it out there. What about a CRF150R or RB? Linear power, nice suspension, easy to handle, sometimes a bitch to start. . . Never addressed that with mine. . . but, it won't contribute to the decline of off-road motorcycles. Should be able to pick up a used one cheap, I would think. Let us know what you get.

The 85's and 150R seem to have to small of a cock pit for her, and the "hit" that those fireballs have isn't ideal for the riding that we do.

Does she want a new bike or are you "talking" her into one for another reason.  I've been married 20 years.  If my wife doesn't want it and I get it, it generally sits and collects dust.

She's ready for a different bike. We won't be selling the 150F, just moving on to a "better" bike. Even considering turning the 150 into a flat tracker! Like I said, I'd ride the p!ss out of that 150 exc if she doesn't.

Well, the KTM 150 is OUT. It's a full size bike....I'm a little surprised about that. The only other bikes that she fit pretty well are the CRF150R and the KX100 (big wheel?). She's not totally sold on a 2t, I'm a believer, especially since I own and maintain 8 bikes...err 9 bikes and the 2t's are so much cheaper to get set up right and keep running. 

What are the +/-'s of each bike?

Well, the KTM 150 is OUT. It's a full size bike....I'm a little surprised about that. The only other bikes that she fit pretty well are the CRF150R and the KX100 (big wheel?). She's not totally sold on a 2t, I'm a believer, especially since I own and maintain 8 bikes...err 9 bikes and the 2t's are so much cheaper to get set up right and keep running.

What are the +/-'s of each bike?

You really didn't look up if the bike was full sized or not?. But I would say a crf230 would be the perfect bike to get

You really didn't look up if the bike was full sized or not?. But I would say a crf230 would be the perfect bike to get

Um, I did look up the bike, as much info on it as I could find.......not a lot, so we had to go look. I was expecting a little smaller bike (like a 125), nope, it's basically a 450 chassis with a 150 motor. it is even bigger, well the seat hight is higher,  than their 200....I would never had figured that.

The 230 is to big, she has the 150 (same bike, smaller wheels and motor) and it (the 150) weighs in at 241# dry and has crappy suspension, I can't even buy the right size rear spring for this bike....the 230 weighs more, has most of the same/similar mediocre "play bike" stuff on it, I don't need more of the same, I'm looking to "go backwards" with her. Get her riding level up quite a bit before going to a bigger bike. We just went from a light crappy bike to a heavy, more powerful play bike and that was not the right direction to go. IF I could do it again, she would have been on a 85/100/150r before EVER considering this bike. I really enjoy riding the 150f, but I outweigh her by 65# and can slam that bike around pretty easily, at her size/weight the bike tends to throw her around more than her throwing it around...just bad ergos for her size that's all.

My wife just broke her kneecap on her ttr230. Shes 125 lbs and 5'9 1/2". I just bought her a raptor 700 and sold the ttr after a month of being the slave boy around the house.

I dont think you mentioned your wife's height. I am guessing she isnt very tall given her weight.  My daughter is about 5' 4" and she started on CRF100F then went to KX100 and then to KDX200 (with lowering link and shaved seat).  I looked at KTM's as well (the 150XC).   Between the price and the full size height of the bike without a linkage suspension, I just kept looking and stumbled across the KDX200.  It seems to be a bit smaller than other full size bikes.  The KX100 and CRF150RB str pretty decent considerations especially since they are much lighter thant the CRF150F.  The KX100 is about the same seat height as the CRF150F but only weighs about 150 lbs.  My middle kid started riding on the CRF150F and I figured when he moved up my daughter could move from the CRF100F to the CRF150F.  But we ended up not going that route since she was 'outriding' the suspension on the CRF100F and the CRF150F didnt offer any better suspension, power or braking over the CRF100F.

For the KX100, I added a flywheel weight and geared it down for trail riding (smaller front sprocket and larger rear sprocket).  That tends to take off some top end speed, but the KX100 has a 6 speed gearbox.  She rode the KX100 pretty aggressive  and she did pretty good with it on most trails.  Riding it at altitude can really run out of any low end torque above 10K elevation.  The CRF150R or CRF150RB might be decent, but I ruled them out just given the price (used) was so much higher than the KX100.  I would think they have better low end torque than the KX100...but I dont have any experience with that bike.  I then lucked across an '06 KDX200 for a decent price.  With a lowering link and shaved seat, my daughter is still tippy toed with it and it is more of a handful for her weight wise - KDX200 is about 50-55 lbs heavier than the KX100. 

Unfortunately, there just arent a lot of good options for women especially if they are smaller.  Maybe the only other consideration might be to look at GasGas or Husky 125 enduros.  Another route that I have seen people pursue for wives/girlfriends are somethign like a KLX140L and then upgrading exhaust, big bore and KX front forks and better rear shock.  Can get very pricey going that route (but no more so than the KTM or exotic bike route).

Ripper,

I agree with the 230f for the wife. 

Got my wife a 230f and she loves it. At 5' 3", 105 lbs the 230 is perfect for her.

I put a kouba link on the 230f and dropped the rear end 2 full inches. The electric start is nice, much easier for her than kick starting. Also installed the Power-Up jet kit, opened up the air box, and removed the spark arrestor from the BBR pipe. Brought the bike to life.. great trail bike, very reliable, bullet proof. Six speed transmission, good power and plenty of speed. I ride it more than my wife does. 

JL

0530131101.jpg

0912131505.jpg

0913131545.jpg

0913131548.jpg

CRF450R and CRF230F.jpg

I dont think you mentioned your wife's height. I am guessing she isnt very tall given her weight.  My daughter is about 5' 4" and she started on CRF100F then went to KX100 and then to KDX200 (with lowering link and shaved seat).  I looked at KTM's as well (the 150XC).   Between the price and the full size height of the bike without a linkage suspension, I just kept looking and stumbled across the KDX200.  It seems to be a bit smaller than other full size bikes.  The KX100 and CRF150RB str pretty decent considerations especially since they are much lighter thant the CRF150F.  The KX100 is about the same seat height as the CRF150F but only weighs about 150 lbs.  My middle kid started riding on the CRF150F and I figured when he moved up my daughter could move from the CRF100F to the CRF150F.  But we ended up not going that route since she was 'outriding' the suspension on the CRF100F and the CRF150F didnt offer any better suspension, power or braking over the CRF100F.

For the KX100, I added a flywheel weight and geared it down for trail riding (smaller front sprocket and larger rear sprocket).  That tends to take off some top end speed, but the KX100 has a 6 speed gearbox.  She rode the KX100 pretty aggressive  and she did pretty good with it on most trails.  Riding it at altitude can really run out of any low end torque above 10K elevation.  The CRF150R or CRF150RB might be decent, but I ruled them out just given the price (used) was so much higher than the KX100.  I would think they have better low end torque than the KX100...but I dont have any experience with that bike.  I then lucked across an '06 KDX200 for a decent price.  With a lowering link and shaved seat, my daughter is still tippy toed with it and it is more of a handful for her weight wise - KDX200 is about 50-55 lbs heavier than the KX100. 

Unfortunately, there just arent a lot of good options for women especially if they are smaller.  Maybe the only other consideration might be to look at GasGas or Husky 125 enduros.  Another route that I have seen people pursue for wives/girlfriends are somethign like a KLX140L and then upgrading exhaust, big bore and KX front forks and better rear shock.  Can get very pricey going that route (but no more so than the KTM or exotic bike route).

Your right and right and right! She is 5'4" tall. Her brother, sister and I all ride KDX's and she has ruled that out. We looked at the KX100, that is MY preferred bike for her, but I still need to convince her that's what she "wants" :thinking:  

I had another thought....and I'm sure many people have the same idea.  How about a KDX200 or KX125 motor in the KX100 frame.  Dont know if its a bolt in....but maybe its close.  Perhaps the same concept can apply to a KTM105XC....and bolt in a 200 XC-W or EXC motor.

There's probably a modest business opportunity there for good trail/enduro bikes for women, children and smaller statured men.

My wife doesn't like the clutching and poor driveability of two strokes at low speed. Wanted electric start and smooth ride.

My wife doesn't like the clutching and poor driveability of two strokes at low speed. Wanted electric start and smooth ride.

Pomoco,

Your wife will like the CRF230F or CRF100F.. I have both for my wife. The 230F has electric start, and is perfect for general off road and trail riding.

My wife is 5'3" and 105 lbs, she loves the 230F. 

Let us know what you decide.

JL

0602131112a.jpg