Which 125?

I've got 2 boys, 12 and 14.

They rode a 70cc chinese mini a couple of years back, and we have a Honda 90cc quad bike. Both 4 gears, no clutch.

I've (at 44yo) been satisfying my mid life crisis with a DR650 and a Gasser 450, and the boys want to get involved.

I'm looking at getting a 125 4s for them, and am tossing up between the DRZ, CRF, TTR and KLX (Australian models by the way).

I live in a small coastal village and the local gasser dealer also does Suzuki. He's done me big favors with getting my new old stock Gasser pre delivered and registered with full dealer warranty (he's good mates with my neighbor) and has offered to take me riding to show me all the local trails and teach me to ride. He's a really nice old bloke.

I feel a little obliged to buy the DRZ for my kid due to the fact he's such a good fella who's looked after me already.

Are they that different, or is dealer service the clincher?

We don't want to race, just trail ride in the forest.

The Honda and Yammi dealers are much less personal in their approach, but are cheaper by a couple hundred bucks.

The Suzuki seems a little old school and not as cool looking.

Any thoughts?

Choose the color you want.  Buy that one.  Which seems to be yellow for the dealer that gives a crap about his customers.

I've ridden a klx 125 and a tt-r 125 side by side and the tt-r is the way to go. I don't like honda bikes at all just because of the bad bikes I have gotten. and the Drz 125 seems like a good bike for the price, haven't heard of any major problems with them. But seriously yamaha makes yellow plastics for their bikes. so get a tt-r

I've ridden a klx 125 and a tt-r 125 side by side and the tt-r is the way to go. I don't like honda bikes at all just because of the bad bikes I have gotten. and the Drz 125 seems like a good bike for the price, haven't heard of any major problems with them. But seriously yamaha makes yellow plastics for their bikes. so get a tt-r

Yes but his yammy dealer sucks compared to the suzuki dealer.  That's why I said yellow, it wasn't actually a color preference but a manufacturer reference.

I'd go crf. The ole' xr, crf 100s were such great bikes. I'd go and get the new crf125f.

The 14 y/o is going to grow out of the 125 four stroke in no time.  I'd get him a 125 smoker or some other full size bike.  

The 14 y/o is going to grow out of the 125 four stroke in no time. I'd get him a 125 smoker or some other full size bike.

depends how big he is but I agree. Except I'd say a 85 2 stroke or a crf150r

My 14 year old is on a RM125.  It was his first dirt bike.  Learning curve was a little steep but he's doing great.

My 14 year old is on a RM125.  It was his first dirt bike.  Learning curve was a little steep but he's doing great.

My stepson went from a ke100 (learning clutch) to a RM125. He went about 6 months struggling with the height but grew into it. He improves a ton everytime he rides.