Sign in to follow this  

Magura issues on a 12

Ive had the magura hydro on my 12 crf450r for awhile with no issues. I religiously check the free play on the slave and it never changes any noticeable amount. I noticed my clutch starte to slip a little until the bike got nice and hot (maybe a lap). Then as the bike gets hotter or further into a moto the clutch wont fully engage. Pull the lever to the bars and the bike is still pulling a bit. Finally dnfd a moto after i kept stallin it due to the clutch dragging. Checked my slave freeplay as soon as i got off and it was wayyyy too much. I had checked it prior to that moto and it was in spec. I can literally push it all the way to the backside of the kickstart now. After this i replaced inner hub and pressure plate with framebreakers 6 spring and a hinson fiber and steel set up. I cant get the freeplay back in the slave to where it needs to be. Theres way too much. Ive completely flushed the system, theres no air. Anyone had this issue? It seems to me that something has gone bad in the slave

My clutch was definitely smoked. I replaced everything last week but cannot get my slave freeplay down enough now. I dont even think i wpuld be able to shim it enough

Did you add an extra clutch plate or something? The newer, thus thicker, the clutch pack, the more the actuation lever moves towards the slave, increasing the free play. As the clutch wears, free play is reduced. Sounds like your assembled pack is thicker than OEM.

Air, or lack thereof, in the fluid does NOT have any impact on slave free play.

Edited by Eddie8v

Yeah, sounds a little strange.

When you have it put together, how much can you push the lifter lever arm in towoards the slave cylinder and then how much can you pull the lifter lever arm out, away from the slave?

Since you were having issues before the conversion, not sure where to start.

The inner hub and pressure plate are set at the edge of the factory clutch specs when new. Meaning the clutch pack is slightly inboard, moving the lifter rod towards the lifter arm which can pull the slave cyclinder out to its limits depending on your shimming. A lot of my customers have a Magura and I haven't heard of any problems like this. Only one guy using an older Magura kit modified to fit a '11, who had to shim the bracket holding the slave cylinder out 10-12mm.

I set my slave cylinders to where it's around 2-3mm from full extension.

Are you saying you can push the lifter arm in more and thus you can't adjust out the free play?

If you can, snap a picture looking down at the lifter arm and slave cylinder and post it, or email it to me?

Jason

If you can set it to 2-3mm of free play it has to work.  

What i think you're trying to explain is that after the clutch rebuild your slave is so close to the right-side of the bike that you couldn't add enough shims to lower the free play as the slave is bumping into the engine case???  The only way that can happen is if the clutch pack (fibers and plates, together) is too thick, or you busted the slave, which I doubt, or you installed a shorter clutch pushrod, or you'e missing the outer washer, or something else, on the throwout bearing assembly.  Or the clutch components you have installed have moved the pressure plate outboard, to the right, by design, or by improper installation...

Edited by Eddie8v

How exactly do you check the free play on the slave? I am going to be needing a new clutch pack soon and I'm not sure what I need to do with the shimming and free play for the slave cylinder.

I wasnt clear in my initial post. I religiously checked the slave cylinder free play before practice, races, etc. i literally checked it before a moto and it was in spec. During that moto the clutch began acting up and i couldnt get the clutch to disengage. I pulled off and checked the slave. It had way too much free play. Basically i had two separate issues. I knew the clutch was smoked so upon removal i found the pressure plate was smoked and the inner hub was pretty beat as well and decided to go with framebreakers kit. The 6 spring works great. Zero complaints. Im thinking something went in my slave cylinder and thats the issue. Unrelated to the internals of my clutch.

Long story short. During a moto something happened causing the free play on the slave to go from the 2 to 5 mm range to much much greater. Now when the lever is pulled several times it gets rock hard as if your compressing a brake caliper

Ill try to get a pic tomorrow of the slave mounted and the amount of freeplay present. I ripped it all off to race this weekend. With the cable set up everything is perfect. Bike rockets off the start. Im pretty confident the slave took a shit in some fashion. I just dont know how to verify that.

If you're pulling the lever with the slave not installed onto the bike that's a big problem. You'll dislodge a seal/bushing in the slave, so doing so is a big no-no. With your hands, pull outwards on the slave rod as hard as you can to re-seat everything, you can't hurt it. Then remove the brass cap on the rear of the slave to be sure it's clean inside. It's not on very tight and don't install it very tight.

As long as the seal is set on the piston as Eddie says, the only thing I can think of is the seal on the piston is bad. This not giving you much power and if you keep pulling the lever, it hydraulically locks.

Now, I have had some retro kits do this when I was figuring out how much to machine the mount, or changing the lifter rod length and the piston was bottoming out too early. But yours isn't a retro install or even a new one. If everything is installed correctly and the cable adjustment now is pretty much the same as stock, then it must the slave.

With the cable asm, does the pull feel right and is the cable adjusters/cable length pretty close to stock?

I'm just trying to make sure something from the clutch kit install isn't adding to your problems, even though it doesn't sound like it.

Jason

Edited by Framebreaker

The slave was mounted on the bike but there was so much free play that it might was have not been on the bike. I didnt pull the lever without it mounted but i will try pulling out on the rod like you said. Like i said, the free play went way out of spec(too mich free play)while i was riding. Have you seen that happen before?

Jason, everything with the 6 spring is good. The actuator arm is exactly like it was before. When i put a brand new oem cable on i hardly had to adjust it. It works fine. Engages and disengages as it should. Ripped two holies on sunday. She hooks right up

The slave was mounted on the bike but there was so much free play that it might was have not been on the bike. I didnt pull the lever without it mounted but i will try pulling out on the rod like you said. Like i said, the free play went way out of spec(too mich free play)while i was riding. Have you seen that happen before?

. I have never seen it happen, don't know how it can happen without some sort of malfunction (or mistake upon assembly) -or- the combination of parts causing the pressure plate to be further to the left than designed... or that's the wrong slave for your application...

How many shims did you need to install to get the proper slave play when you initially installed the slave after the clutch rebuild?

Edited by Eddie8v

. I have never seen it happen, don't know how it can happen without some sort of malfunction (or mistake upon assembly) -or- the combination of parts causing the pressure plate to be further to the left than designed... or that's the wrong slave for your application...How many shims did you need to install to get the proper slave play when you initially installed the slave after the clutch rebuild?

After the clutch rebuild i cant shim it enough. Ill get a pic of it installed with it pulled off the mounting bracket. Its excessive to say the least.

After the clutch rebuild i cant shim it enough. Ill get a pic of it installed with it pulled off the mounting bracket. Its excessive to say the least.

Like I said: either you made a mistake somewhere during the assembly (missed throwout bearing washer, installed a new pushrod that was shorter than OEM, installed an extra fiber or plate, etc) or the pressure plate is further outboard, towards the right of the bike, than desired with your combination of parts. This assumes you had used the same slave before the clutch rebuild, perhaps with the OEM clutch assembly, and you were able to shim it properly with that clutch setup and gain proper Magura operation...

are you using the right Magura slave? Where did you buy it, and what's the part number on the box?

Post pix please.

Edited by Eddie8v