Aluminum VS Steel Sprocket

My rear sprocket has finally had it and I went online to order a new one. I have always used steel sprockets but was curious about the aluminum sprockets.

Which is better?

Hey DirtDad, why had you previously bought steel sprockets as opposed to ally ones, because your common sense was correct & steel is more durable than ally, Ally sprockets are for racers for weight saving purposes. The hybrid ally inner & steel outer are the go, the Stealth brand sprockets are excellent. ROOSTA out.

my next rear sprocket is going to be an ironman. they last forever

Thanks,

I figured the aluminum sprokets were for weight saving, but I had never known anyone who used them so I was curious.

I bought a SUNSTAR 51 tooth steel sprocket to replace the one that was worn out. It was also a SUNSTAR.

I'll have to look into IRONMAN...don't know much about those. How are JT sprockets? They seem to have a lower cost which means to me they may not be as good. Anyone ever use JT?

Thanks again.

I was looking for sprockets  and JT was a very common purchase for folks

I had no issue with both of My steel JT unit's

I was looking for sprockets  and JT was a very common purchase for folks

I had no issue with both of My steel JT unit's

Thanks Zimman, I think I may get one as a back up. They are half the price of SUNSTAR.

putting steel sprockets, doesnt it stress the transmission?

putting steel sprockets, doesnt it stress the transmission?

I don't know, I have never heard of that. I have always used steel sprockets and have never had a transmission issue.

i doubt aluminum is going to absorb a measurable difference of shock transfer   IMHO

the advertised benefit is weight reduction  

The simplistic answer, the difference between the 2 is weight and resistance to wear. Steel weighs more and I more resistant to wear. Aluminum weighs alot less but wears more. The reason pros use aluminum as their sprockets (and as much as possible) is to make the bike lighter. They don't care about wear much considering their bike is a new bike after every race. I would use steel unless you plan on racing and getting sponsored. Or a great paying job. And when you find that let me know haha

It would be nice to be able to change out parts after every race...I wonder what the pro teams do with all those slightly used parts?

Pro's don't replace all parts after every race. They do, however, inspect every part on the bike and replace anything that is out of spec.

Back on topic though, I like primary drive steel sprockets from rockymountainmc.com. Cheap and durable.

Edited by frdbtr

Pro's don't replace all parts after every race. They do, however, inspect every part on the bike and replace anything that is out of spec. Back on topic though, I like primary drive steel sprockets from rockymountainmc.com. Cheap and durable.

I agree. The Primary Drive stuff is a great value.

It would be nice to be able to change out parts after every race...I wonder what the pro teams do with all those slightly used parts?

The pros cycle parts off the race bike onto the practice bikes. If you go to your local national you can get parts like tires from some teams in the pits but that's about it. And don't expect to get them from any of the big teams usually I have had luck with some smaller teams its hit or miss.

I use supersprox steel I paid 40 for my rear and it has a whole season on it with no signs of wear I recommend them. JT and primary dive are alright but didn't last as long as the supersprox it's worth the extra 15 for a better looking longer lasting part on my opinion