Sign in to follow this  

IM stuck. whent over on a wheelie

as the title said I went well past 12 oclock on the drz :banghead: . to make it short, I ripped off the tail light and had to get out of the area in a hurry

( people were calling the cops).

while "getting out in a hurry" the bike died and I saw a little puff of smoke come from under the insterment pannel. when I got it all apart at home the fuse by the battery was blown and the wires that plug into the clutch safty swich, ignition and kill switch/blinker controls were all melted together!! :cry:. the wires in the tail light were all touching and I thing that is what did it. The wires are only melted just behind the plugs. I don know were to go next. the wireing harnes is like $300 and I dont even know if my CDI is fried or not. how do I know if the CDI is still good? Is there a way to save money buy cutting all the wires and putting new plugs on the ends? I know I would have to check every wire on the bike for exposure/melted spots.

I can hold my own with mechanical skills, Iv never taken a motor apart but I have no problem giving it a shot. Iv done the basic mods that most people do on the DRZ.

I am no electrician by any means. that stuff drives me nuts some times.   

I would try and separate the wires and put a new fuse in and try and start the bike .

• Like 1

Yeah I'd cut out the bad sections and splice in new ones. You are lucky, I looped a wheelie about a month ago and dislocated my left shoulder and broke my right collar bone....I'd rather take the melted wires!!

Edited by Turd Nugget

I would try and separate the wires and put a new fuse in and try and start the bike .

i put a new fuse in it. Im not sure if I will be able to separete the wires because they are so melted but I will give it a shot. I guess I am just afraid to hook the battery back up and try to start it, after I separate the wires of course, because I keep thinking " what if the CDI isnt broken yet untill I mess around with it and then I frie it too."  Ill just have to dot my "I's" cross my 'T's" and hope for the best.

Il give it a shot wednesday and let you know how it goes.... or tell you what I F$&$ up :confused:

You know the old saying that everything happens in 3s. well this was my 3 out of 3. sick of fixing expensive things. in the past few weeks I got a $150 speeding tickes, I payed $70 for the online class to get the points off my licence, my wifes truck died and I had to buy a battery and install a new alternator and now this crap. :cry:

any other info would be GREATLY APRICIATED!!

thanks guys.

The battery is capable of delivering high current.  That is why there is a 20 amp fuse, to limit the current it can deliver.  Once the fuse blows that leaves only the alternator to deliver power (current) to run the motorcycle (less than 20 amps).  Under the proper conditions a running DRZ can blow the fuse and continue to run off the alternator, but can not be restarted with the electric starter.

But here is the confusing part - 20 amps from the battery or the alternator is not enough to melt wires.  So some how the fuse was bypassed.  It is not likely the CDI is damaged.  It is obvious the wire harness is badly damaged and needs repair. And you are going to have to figure out how the wires got melted with a blown fuse.  Did some one do "Free Power" mod incorrectly?

I doubt the CDI is t risk, but what you can do is unplug it and remove it from the motorcycle completely while you work out the problems with the wiring.  When you get to the point that you can hook up the battery, no blown fuses and everything works, and the motor cranks with the starter, then put the CDI back in.

• Like 1

Yeah I'd cut out the bad sections and splice in new ones. You are lucky, I looped a wheelie about a month ago and dislocated my left shoulder and broke my right collar bone....I'd rather take the melted wires!!

Were do i get the new plugs? I looked on the thumper store and coundnt find anything. the wire harness comes in one big bunch not in single connectoins. the harness is like $300.

that sucks about the collar bone and sholder! ouch!!  I did get lucky. i was wearing (always wear) my kneepads/shin guards, helmet, gloves, jacket, and long paints. I cluched up in 2nd and was riding it up a hill. ( found the balancing point a mounth ago and coant stop riding wheelies) forgot to cover the brake and you know the rest. My a$$ hit the ground first, I rolled to my hands and knees and stayed there, sliding down the road right next to the bike whatching her throw sparks. my knee pads and shin guards are hit bad and I also need new gloves. my head never touched the ground. my paints turned into shorts on the right leg from my a$$ down and I got a good spot of road rash on my a$$. Ill have to get som kevlar paints now.

its funny, every time I lay it down or crash it......I learn somthing new. GET MORE SAFETY GEAR!! the first time I layed it down I got a lot more road rash and THEN I got the knee pads, gloves and decided to wear paints.

im going to have to make a 12 oclock bar for it. im not paying over $100 for some bar stock.

Depends on the wire. The 20 amp fuse in a DRZ will blow when there is a short before wires melt.  That is the whole point of the fuse.  The charging system is not fused (other than to the battery) because it delivers less than 20 amps at full output.

• try ebay and buy a used harness, i see tons of parts for DRZ on ebay all the time

ill look, thanks

The battery is capable of delivering high current.  That is why there is a 20 amp fuse, to limit the current it can deliver.  Once the fuse blows that leaves only the alternator to deliver power (current) to run the motorcycle (less than 20 amps).  Under the proper conditions a running DRZ can blow the fuse and continue to run off the alternator, but can not be restarted with the electric starter.

But here is the confusing part - 20 amps from the battery or the alternator is not enough to melt wires.  So some how the fuse was bypassed.  It is not likely the CDI is damaged.  It is obvious the wire harness is badly damaged and needs repair. And you are going to have to figure out how the wires got melted with a blown fuse.  Did some one do "Free Power" mod incorrectly?

I doubt the CDI is t risk, but what you can do is unplug it and remove it from the motorcycle completely while you work out the problems with the wiring.  When you get to the point that you can hook up the battery, no blown fuses and everything works, and the motor cranks with the starter, then put the CDI back in.

i never did the free power mod. all I changed in the electrical part is put on the fan override and remve the kickstand safety switch ( cut the wires and conected them ). thouse wireS are fine. they are onLY melted up front right behind the plugs and only the 3 melted that i mentioned before.

Edited by glock27supermoto

20 amps is more than enough to melt wires.  A household circuit with multiple outlets and a ceiling light or two is usually a 20 amp circuit. ( yes i know it is not DC but amps is amps)

All you need to do is replace the damaged wire with new wire and don't skimp on the splices to the old wire.( I recomend the ones with dielectric gel).  I am an electrician by trade.

Loose wires at the tail (ripped off light will likely leave some copper dangling. It's a pretty good run from the battery to the head end and back thru the brake switches and all to the tail/brake light. Resistance in the wire might keep it from blowing the fuse before things heat up enuff to blow the fuse. Something along that line is probably what happened. (I've used single strands from a copper wire with AA cell battery to light firecrackers in my younger days. :D)

Assuming the CDI is okay, disconnect ALL the connectors in the wiring harness, then hook the CDI and starter only and give it a go. 

Hitachi style connectors are available many places, here's where I recently ordered some. You'll want the Hitachi style pin crimper too.
http://www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/hitachi.htm

Price is right, too.

Unlikely ya burned the whole harness tho it can happen. Unless it got real hot for a long time (like riding it home after the wheelie), the main part of the harness should be okay. Ugh! Gotta say I'm glad it's you 'n not me. 

Anyway, if yur lucky you can cut out the bad parts and patch it back together pretty easily. I suggest 16 gauge primary wire from your local auto parts store plus appropriate connectors (you may be able to just replace pins in your current connectors) and put it back together. Disconnect all the light circuits and give it a go.

Good luck.

Yes amps is amps but 20 amps at 12 volts is 240 watts of power to dissipate.  20 amps at 120 volts is 2400 watts. Big difference when it comes to a short circuit burning wires. 

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYBODY!

Loose wires at the tail (ripped off light will likely leave some copper dangling. It's a pretty good run from the battery to the head end and back thru the brake switches and all to the tail/brake light. Resistance in the wire might keep it from blowing the fuse before things heat up enuff to blow the fuse. Something along that line is probably what happened. (I've used single strands from a copper wire with AA cell battery to light firecrackers in my younger days. :D)

Assuming the CDI is okay, disconnect ALL the connectors in the wiring harness, then hook the CDI and starter only and give it a go. 

Hitachi style connectors are available many places, here's where I recently ordered some. You'll want the Hitachi style pin crimper too.
http://www.electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/hitachi.htm

Price is right, too.

Unlikely ya burned the whole harness tho it can happen. Unless it got real hot for a long time (like riding it home after the wheelie), the main part of the harness should be okay. Ugh! Gotta say I'm glad it's you 'n not me. 

Anyway, if yur lucky you can cut out the bad parts and patch it back together pretty easily. I suggest 16 gauge primary wire from your local auto parts store plus appropriate connectors (you may be able to just replace pins in your current connectors) and put it back together. Disconnect all the light circuits and give it a go.

Good luck.

Your first paragraph seems logical to me. I was browsing ebay lastnight for a harness ( like superdutyscaler said to do) and found an enture harness that has everthing, every single wire on it for $80. I figured I would just buy this one and swap out the whole thing so when I crash again and the sam thing happens ( god i hope not) I will have some extra wires to replace things with again. I also got the Edge tailight latnight ( smoke version). all I need now is new gloves and im going to make a 12 oclock bar to protect my taillight, and hopfully my A$$ too LOL, pun intended.

thanks again. ill post the results

I would second buying another harness off ebay. The best advice on wheelies is probably not to attempt them. No busted bikes or body parts that way. I now they are very satifying when you pull off a good one, but the consequences of error keep me from doing wheelies. Also, at 63 yrs old I don't heal as good as I used to, I don't want to be laid up healing, and I have more wisdom. That being said the desire to pop up the front end is still there. I just hope I can stay conservative on the pavement, and maybe mess with wheelies when I'm off road on a little softer surface.

Ride safe.

I would second buying another harness off ebay. The best advice on wheelies is probably not to attempt them. No busted bikes or body parts that way. I now they are very satifying when you pull off a good one, but the consequences of error keep me from doing wheelies. Also, at 63 yrs old I don't heal as good as I used to, I don't want to be laid up healing, and I have more wisdom. That being said the desire to pop up the front end is still there. I just hope I can stay conservative on the pavement, and maybe mess with wheelies when I'm off road on a little softer surface.

Ride safe.

Im still young. i cant stop doing wheelies :ride: .and i do heal fast :cripple: . its not like I do them every second but when I get the chance to do one and i feel like It wont be seen by the cops.....I DO IT!!! I have very short commuts,about 5 miles give or take and i usually get 2 or 3 good ones in every time.

it makes me :lol: ..... every time!

I agree with the off road riding part. it is way safer to do it off road and that is were i learned but i dont have anywere to do that righ now.

you ride safe too.. but do a wheelie every onec in a while. it will make you   :lol:    too.