XR600R as my first bike?

Hi all,

Next year I plan to take lessons and obtain a full bike license. I've always admired bikes and as a fortieth birthday present to myself I'd like to get a bike. I'll only have about £2000 Max to spend as I need to pay for lessons and gear of course. The style of bike I like is the dual sport. I like xrs and Yamaha xt500s, that sort of thing.

As I will be using the bike to commute when its nice weather I need some advice about which bike to buy.

The road I drive to work is twenty miles of A road through the countryside, the cars generally travel at about 50ish to 70 Mph. I need a bike that is capable of keeping up with traffic. There are some twists and turns and long straights. It is a very dark road being unlit mostly. I have looked at Yamaha wr250r, Suzuki tu250z,Kawasaki klx250. I really like the 600r too. Would it be an OK bike for a beginner though? I'd not be under pressure to ride it as I can use my car mostly throughout the winter. Any thoughts as to whether it would be a good choice or any other suggestions? Thanks, David.

Well all I can tell you is that this is really my first year of riding and I started with a 93 xr600. I am running a 15/48 gearing and will cruise comfortably at 70 mph. The bike has lots of power but is mild when you need it to be. I would say you would have no problem starting on the xr600. I added a wind screen for the higher speeds and it made a world of difference. The smaller bikes are nice but if you ever wanted to cruise highway speeds in not sure they would handle it. Hope that helps.

That helps me. Thanks for replying. Do you have any photos of your bike with the windscreen fitted? I'd love to see what that looks like. I think with the road,speed and potential changing weather in Scotland a windscreen would be a smart buy.

What is the stock headlight like on these? I've seen an aftermarket one that's apparently very bright on another forum. with the deer and unlit road I reckon the stock one might not be bright enough.

I will post some pics for you later today. The stock light is pretty weak. I'm still looking for one I can use to ride at night if I ever had to. Right now I just travel during the day. Let me know if you ever find a nice bright one.

Just study the starting techinque or youll hate that you got an r instead of an l. Besides that, for freeway use that cheap its maybe your best bike for value. But if all you plan is riding freeway you must do more oil changes, in my opinion cause of oil breakdown and or foaming. Extended high rpm use must be paid attention to. But you can go smaller than 48 and get your rpms down a bit in fifth.

I say go for it cause youll probably start taking the countryside to work instead of the road!

I don't know how often you'll be taking it off-road, but an alternative would be the XR650L, which is built more for road cruising, has a starter, and real (and useful) lighting. Also has an actual ignition switch, turn signals, brake light etc... 

Here are some pics of my setup. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378246276.089940.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378246297.935670.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378246318.717476.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378246332.534383.jpg

If your going to ride all street why not just buy a street bike. find an old cb. or old vfr750. Much better commuters. xr esp. the air cooled variants are not intended for sustained high rpm freeway driving. Can they do it? yes with the right gearing lots of oil changes and some padded gloves.(vibrations are a bitch at high speed with thumpers) You could do it but it isnt ideal.

My next addition I think will be the denali rack from turbo city. And eventually a vapor from trail tech. Love the bike. Gonna try and ride to Canada next year.

cant vouch for the 650L headlight but my 600R light was next to useless (when a car came the other id aim 2 foot left of the headlight and ride in that general direction until it went past "im an ozzy" but i had a hard time seeing at the best of times but with oncoming traffic i was a deer caught in the spotlights)

if for rd use only maybe look at the NX650

Rockfireguy- what kind of windscreen is that?  How do you like it?  Can you ride without eye protection?

Rockfireguy- what kind of windscreen is that? How do you like it? Can you ride without eye protection?

It's a slipstreamer spitfire. I love it. Mounts easily to the bars. I usually ride with a face shield but to be honest I think you could easily ride without eye pro. I picked it up used in eBay. Saved a bunch of Coin that way.

Well all I can tell you is that this is really my first year of riding and I started with a 93 xr600. I am running a 15/48 gearing and will cruise comfortably at 70 mph. The bike has lots of power but is mild when you need it to be. I would say you would have no problem starting on the xr600. I added a wind screen for the higher speeds and it made a world of difference. The smaller bikes are nice but if you ever wanted to cruise highway speeds in not sure they would handle it. Hope that helps.

Really, the speed I will be travelling at will be 60 mph max. That's the speed I drive the road in my car and I know the road inside out. I wont be riding a bike any faster, only to overtake. I'm glad you say it does 70 mph comfortably because it makes the bike a viable purchase. I consulted a biker that I work with, and he says the vibrations and high rpm will be no good for me. hmmm...

I will post some pics for you later today. The stock light is pretty weak. I'm still looking for one I can use to ride at night if I ever had to. Right now I just travel during the day. Let me know if you ever find a nice bright one.

I will try to post a pic up. It's not pretty and you're probably familiar with it but it's very bright by all accounts. I will need a lot of light, as I said, it's a dark old road with kamikaze deer along the way.

Just study the starting techinque or youll hate that you got an r instead of an l. Besides that, for freeway use that cheap its maybe your best bike for value. But if all you plan is riding freeway you must do more oil changes, in my opinion cause of oil breakdown and or foaming. Extended high rpm use must be paid attention to. But you can go smaller than 48 and get your rpms down a bit in fifth.

I say go for it cause youll probably start taking the countryside to work instead of the road!

I'm not sure of the difference between freeway and highway or whatever but an A road through the Scottish countryside isn't the indy 500. It is a pretty relaxed route to drive but due to the agricultural vehicles and eternal Sunday drivers, BMW X3/5 drivers, I'll need some poke. It would be about twenty mins at sixty miles per hour and ten mins at 30 mph.

I don't know how often you'll be taking it off-road, but an alternative would be the XR650L, which is built more for road cruising, has a starter, and real (and useful) lighting. Also has an actual ignition switch, turn signals, brake light etc... 

I won't be going anywhere except on tarmac. I love form over function! I think the XR600R is a thing of beauty but I have a feeling maybe I need the bike to do something it wasn't designed or suited to do. The 650L is even more rare than the 600R over here. It appears it's much heavier and has the turn signals etc. What else is different? What do all the 600R riders do on the road? Use your arms, fit signals?

Man, that looks the shizzle. In Scotland the weather can turn in five minutes so I think that shield would be necessary. Thanks. I don't think that detracts from  the muscular powerful look that I like in the 600R, it's such a cool looking bike and normally a screen just kills it but that looks really good.

If your going to ride all street why not just buy a street bike. find an old cb. or old vfr750. Much better commuters. xr esp. the air cooled variants are not intended for sustained high rpm freeway driving. Can they do it? yes with the right gearing lots of oil changes and some padded gloves.(vibrations are a bitch at high speed with thumpers) You could do it but it isnt ideal.

As I said earlier, I'm driven by form not function. The 600R is beautiful. Surely the 600 can handle twenty mins at sixty mph? Four days per week. I could find a commuter say a cb500 but it loses everything for me. It just becomes a commuter. I'd rather get the bus.

cant vouch for the 650L headlight but my 600R light was next to useless (when a car came the other id aim 2 foot left of the headlight and ride in that general direction until it went past "im an ozzy" but i had a hard time seeing at the best of times but with oncoming traffic i was a deer caught in the spotlights)

if for rd use only maybe look at the NX650

I don't know the NX650, I'll check it out thanks. I really do need a good headlamp as the road is so dark and unpredictable at night with deer etc. It's a must.

Youre a thorough replier Scotsman. Freeways are bigger and faster speed limits. Highways kinda tend to be smaller and 55 mph. Really there about to same. But on the freeway in California i go 80 normally. On higways id maybe go 65.

Anyways, i used to go 100 miles aggressively at 60- rev limit i have no speedo. At 14/48. Then i went 15/43. But i did this twice a weekend every weekend for six months abd almost blew my motor. So you do have to go easier than i did and do maintenance.

But its a great fun bike. Ill ride it like that again probably and have to rebuild it again and again over the years!

I don't know the NX650, I'll check it out thanks. I really do need a good headlamp as the road is so dark and unpredictable at night with deer etc. It's a must.

NX650 Dominator in stock trim (same engine as xr650L)

Honda%20NX%20650%20Dominator%2088%20%201

Modified NX-DOM:

DSC_3224.JPG

I have a XL600, for me it gives off plenty of light.  It is the same wattage as a regular cager.

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cager

ME

I'm not familiar with the XL600, I'll check it out thanks.

Youre a thorough replier Scotsman. Freeways are bigger and faster speed limits. Highways kinda tend to be smaller and 55 mph. Really there about to same. But on the freeway in California i go 80 normally. On higways id maybe go 65.

Anyways, i used to go 100 miles aggressively at 60- rev limit i have no speedo. At 14/48. Then i went 15/43. But i did this twice a weekend every weekend for six months abd almost blew my motor. So you do have to go easier than i did and do maintenance.

But its a great fun bike. Ill ride it like that again probably and have to rebuild it again and again over the years!

Heheh. I actually laughed out loud when I read that, notoriousE-R-I-C. If nothing else, I am at least thorough.

I'm sure that my commute to work (20 miles) would be a lot less taxing on the bike than your 100 mile number. I'm just not sure now it's the right bike. I'm hearing a lot about vibrations and not being for the road or high maintenance etc. Maybe the 650 is the one.

NX650 Dominator in stock trim (same engine as xr650L)

Honda%20NX%20650%20Dominator%2088%20%201

Modified NX-DOM:

DSC_3224.JPG

There is something about that Dominator. I think it looks pretty good and there are a lot more of them for sale in the UK. The XR600 is scarce and the 650L even more so. Plus, the name Dominator is splendid. I like to Dominate. :)

The modified NX is a be;auty. That style of overhaul is familiar to me. I'm sure there's a Spanish company that make 'em like that. They do a Kawasaki W800 that I am actually in love with.

Rockyfireguy: The headlight on the modified NX is the one I mentioned in my earlier post to you. I can't for the life of me find the company that do them but apparently they are very bright indeed. It looks a bit odd at first sight but if I get a 600 I'll definitely be buying it.

If the dominator is available id get one. Youre in Europe so theyre may be one around for sale. I never see them.

You could gear a 600s gear box like the nx...whole nother topic

There is something about that Dominator. I think it looks pretty good and there are a lot more of them for sale in the UK. The XR600 is scarce and the 650L even more so. Plus, the name Dominator is splendid. I like to Dominate. :)

The modified NX is a be;auty. That style of overhaul is familiar to me. I'm sure there's a Spanish company that make 'em like that. They do a Kawasaki W800 that I am actually in love with.

Rockyfireguy: The headlight on the modified NX is the one I mentioned in my earlier post to you. I can't for the life of me find the company that do them but apparently they are very bright indeed. It looks a bit odd at first sight but if I get a 600 I'll definitely be buying it.

the headlight is either cyclops or baja designs

http://www.bajadesigns.com/products/hid-lights/lapaz-8-inch-hid-lights

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=94

this is the 1 i will be using: 

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=100