Dunlop Geomax AT81

Hi Gang, I think I've found a new tire for Baja. I've been running Pirelli Scorpions for years...YES I Know they only last 300-400 miles or one ride to Mike's and back but you can't find better traction until the knobbies fall off.

So this past weekend I threw on a new Dunlop Geomax AT81 on the front and rode Pine Valley. If you know Pine Valley it's very similar to northern Baja. I did just 27 miles of single track, two track, sand and rocks and I couldn't believe how well it worked. I'm a full figured man so I generally run 17lbs. in the front to help fend off the pinch flats...I never lost traction once, I think I'm in love with a new tire.

RAK SanDiego

Anyone tried the rear RC version?

I ordered the standard version rear and the crown is very soft. Softer than a 404 and nowhere near a 739.

Wondering if the standard version rear will hold up in rocky desert terrain or Baja?

KTMtrek, not sure what you are talking about.  They had a set of these AT81's in the shop the other day and that rear was just as hard and tough including the sidewall as a 739 we had sitting right next to it...

Haven't tried them yet as I'm still a D606 rear guy, with a Bridgy 403, Michelin S12, or Geomax 51 front with Bib kinda guy...

NewMexican - I ended up ordering the AT 81 RC as well as the AT 81 rear. In my garage, I set 4 new rear tires together, a 404, 739 and these two versions of the 81.

I could easily push in the center (by hand) of the regular 81 easier than the 404, the 739 was stiffer than the 81RC.

I just rode 550 miles in eastern Nevada and used the 81RC rear and the 81 front as well.

Mix of sand, lots of rock, single track and high speed desert. Really liked both front and rear tires.

I too was surprised at the center softness of the regular 81 though the sidewall is stiff. I'll give it a try as I think it will hook up nicely.

Was not sure if it was what I was looking for on this last ride.

There is a big difference in crown stiffness in the 81RC and the standard 81- pretty easy to compare when they are side by side. Must be the additional plys. I've used the Parker DT and 739 on these long rides, kind of like this RC version.

81rc is proving to be a pretty tough tire!

its a dam tough tire guys, just a little rich for my blood

Almost embarrassed to admit it but I am running the Shinko 523 IT (120/90-19) and I love it. Super cheap, but strong as hell, does not chunk and hooks up very well. Not sure if anyone has looked up this tire, but it sells for around $70 and many multi-terrain riders are getting upwards of 1500 miles out of them. It is Korean made. The tread pattern, side wall stiffness and overall compound have been working well for me in the desert and wooded single track. Not sure if I will ever go back to big brand tires after the results I am experiencing. The Dunlops, Michelins and Bridgestones seem to get eaten alive by the rocky stuff and are just not impressing me. http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/523-series

Edited by jimmyh

I've used their Trials tire in Moab on a 19" rim, and it worked quite well. Thanks for the heads up on their other tires. I just might give them a try.

Almost embarrassed to admit it but I am running the Shinko 523 IT (120/90-19) and I love it. Super cheap, but strong as hell, does not chunk and hooks up very well. Not sure if anyone has looked up this tire, but it sells for around $70 and many multi-terrain riders are getting upwards of 1500 miles out of them. It is Korean made. The tread pattern, side wall stiffness and overall compound have been working well for me in the desert and wooded single track. Not sure if I will ever go back to big brand tires after the results I am experiencing. The Dunlops, Michelins and Bridgestones seem to get eaten alive by the rocky stuff and are just not impressing me. http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/523-series

That 523 looks a lot like a Dunlop 606.

My friend and I now have 1200 miles of Baja on our 5.10 Shinko 244 & Kenda 270 and they work just as well as knobbies.  The 5.10 are six ply.  I also have a Parker DT on front and it is lasting longer than I expected considering the small center knobs.  What I like most about these DOT Kendas, is the side tread.  They corner great when you lay it over in the dirt.  I had one tiny center knob come off the Parker, but I think it was a fluke.  We will easily get over 2,000 DS miles out of these.  We can't really tell the difference between these 5.10s and a full knobby except that they work much better on the asphalt.  The Shinko has slightly more land to sea ratio, but I like the side tread better on the Kenda.  The Parker DT is like any knobby on the slab.  I'm not embarrassed at all by these tires.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1022138-wanting-to-try-a-trials-tire-on-my-xr250r/?p=10749750