Sign in to follow this  

Got to ride at Doug Henry's compound over the weekend.

Best riding day ever! One of my riding buddies has been friends with Doug since the beginning. He called on Friday night and asked if I wanted to go - I had other plans but knew I needed to do some re-arranging to make it happen! Glad I did!

We packed up the motor toys and headed North. Doug's compound is about 35 mins from me.

Six KTM's, a quad, and two pitbikes.

1098516_10151604423618779_1749594630_n.j
1229913_10151604423603779_1741623934_n.j

We got to a dirt road, and at the end of the dirt road, we saw a good sign!

1238198_10151604423703779_693122420_n.jp

The first thing I noticed which was right on side of the huge field parking lot, was a cool little enduro section. This parking lot was FILLED by the end of the day. Easily 300+ bikes. It was an all weeked event. Saturday was woods riding and a poker run through the woods. Sunday and Monday were more MX days with a little woods riding thrown in.  I got to ride his private woods loops, his supercross track, and part of his MX track. Rick Janesky stopped by to put on an FMX show too. Right in the middle of the parking lot. hahaa.. It was sick!

1157679_10151604423783779_1378727020_n.j

1157679_10151604423783779_1378727020_n.j
564414_10151604424023779_559620292_n.jpg

1014213_10151604424268779_1610230966_n.j

1176224_10151604424683779_1496465502_n.j

The woods loop was great..  A nice mix of some good dirt, rocks, and nice straight aways. There was also a couple sections that were different than normal woods loops. Once went in one side of a barn that was filled with motor toys, and out the other. And there was another section that went through the foundation of his old house, and down some cement stairs.  Part of the woods loop skirted the side of his MX track so there was a nice little step-up thrown in the mix.   It was a FANTASTIC day and probably one of my favorite ever.

I'm currently editing a bunch of video so I can upload it. Stay tuned![/

• Like 3

Here's some video...

First up is the woods riding, enduro, and FMX.. Hard to edit a lot of video and keep it short enough for people to want to watch... But oh well... And I hate how the GoPro makes hill climbs look weak! Some of those had people all over the hill because they were stuck. Anyways - here it is!! Best in full screen/HD!

And just the Enduro obstacle and the FMX show here:

Edited by CousinLarry

Very cool!  Just wondering, a few years ago his house burned down, has everything been rebuilt?

Sounds like a blast.  Did you get to talk to Doug?  Seems like such a cool guy.

Edited by Rocker01

It was drizzling on and off so parts of that loop were like ice. Still fun though.

Yes, I met Doug in the afternoon when we got there. I told him he was a legend and thanked him for havig me. He asked if I liked woods roding and I told him that's all I do :) He tomd me I was in for a treat and he was right !! Hahaa

He was riding around the grounds in his Rhino most of the day.

There's hope! When "they" relocate me again, I'm from Minnesota and am now located in the Netherlands, it will be to CT. I occasionally look for places to ride in the northeast. But I haven't found much. I've been told that there is a lot of singletrack out there. But nobody seem willing to cough up some details. I'm sure if I ride a few enduros I'll find some information along the way. But seeing that it is actually possible for a guy from CT to ride a two stroke is heartening. 

Thanks man!

Shagger - where in CT? If you are near me I'd be happy to take you for a ride. PLENTY of trails if you know where to look :)

CT is good with plates too. Can plate pretty much any KTM/husq if you have the title. Can also put dual sport kit on bikes and get them inspected. I know of a KX450 and a YZ250 both with street plates. Street plates are needed due to being able to hop from one spot to the next.

Probably Stamford. But I'm from Minnesota. I've been driving three hours one way for good riding all my life. Location is not an issue.

I have a couple of YZ250s right now. I suppose I could get something else if I had to. How light do the lights have to be to pass? Can I just slap in a battery operated LED system and pass? Or would I have to go the $500 stator route?

Probably Stamford. But I'm from Minnesota. I've been driving three hours one way for good riding all my life. Location is not an issue.

I have a couple of YZ250s right now. I suppose I could get something else if I had to. How light do the lights have to be to pass? Can I just slap in a battery operated LED system and pass? Or would I have to go the $500 stator route?

Stamford is about 40 mins South of me... 

Yes, you can use a battery. My buddy stuck a battery in his airbox and that powered his lights/blinker/horn.  His speedometer was his cell phone attached to the handle bars with a GPS speed app. hahahaaa..

We stuck steel wool in his exhaust pipe till it sounded like a moped.  

Passed in five mins. 

Shagger, Im from Stamford. Im not too farmiliar with any trails except for thomaston as I ride mostly MX but there is some good riding within 1-3 hours for sure.