Sign in to follow this  

Coolant

The correct and legal way to dispose of it is different from state to state but for Mn., they used to say down the drain if you are in an area that has sewage treatment as their recommended way so that's what I do. 

I leave it in a bowl for that nasty racoon that comes by and tears up the trash can

It works excellent for that.  Just my luck though, that I would be responsible for killing the neighbors dog.

I leave it in a bowl for that nasty racoon that comes by and tears up the trash can

In my area the racoons take it and make meth out of it.You aint seen stupid till you see a varmint on meth!

Thats why you got dispose of it proper,and don't leave them lithium batteries lay around either.

• Like 3

In my area the racoons take it and make meth out of it.You aint seen stupid till you see a varmint on meth!

Thats why you got dispose of it proper,and don't leave them lithium batteries lay around either.

Yea cant say i have seen a meth coon, but anyways he aint come back so its all good now no need to leave him some coolant. Maybe he O.D on meth who knows

Run it through a coffee filter, dump it into the truck.  It leaks enough, it's an easy way to make it disappear. :smirk:

My mechanic takes the really nasty stuff that pukes out the water jacket of my sled's engine and runs it through an oil burner.

• Like 1

Run it through a coffee filter, dump it into the truck. It leaks enough, it's an easy way to make it disappear. :smirk:

My mechanic takes the really nasty stuff that pukes out the water jacket of my sled's engine and runs it through an oil burner.

Yea sure just spread the goodness with nature lmao

It works excellent for that. Just my luck though, that I would be responsible for killing the neighbors dog.

Well just don't let the dawg in ur yard, if he comes in ain't ur prob. I know I would feel bad tho for a dawg

I've been a mechanic all my life and have never seen an animal drink antifeeze.I think that is a myth.

I keep a cat for rodent control and I feed and water him in my garage where he needs to do his work.There is always antifreeze that has leaked or is in a bucket and he doesn't even look at it.

I've had garage cats for 30 years off and on.I hate rodents in my garage.

My neighbors dog died from it years ago. (I didn't have anything to do with it!)  Let's face it - It's a bad combination.  A dumb dog and something that tastes sweet.

My neighbors dog died from it years ago. (I didn't have anything to do with it!)  Let's face it - It's a bad combination.  A dumb dog and something that tastes sweet.

Just like a dumb animal and an automobile.SPLAT!

I've been a mechanic all my life and have never seen an animal drink antifeeze.I think that is a myth.

I keep a cat for rodent control and I feed and water him in my garage where he needs to do his work.There is always antifreeze that has leaked or is in a bucket and he doesn't even look at it.

My mom had a cat that drank some I had left in a pan while flushing my system.  Had to take it to the hospital and basically have it's stomach pumped it got so sick.  A couple years later my brother caught the same cat trying to lick up coolant he was changing out as well.  It's like candy to some animals.

The correct and legal way to dispose of it is different from state to state but for Mn., they used to say down the drain if you are in an area that has sewage treatment as their recommended way so that's what I do. 

I use propylene glycol antifreeze.  I dump it in my back yard, screw the ACLU and Sierra Club

• Like 1

In NY any auto parts store that sells antifreeze or oil has to take back old antifreeze and used oil for proper disposal for free. So here you just put it in a jug and drop it off at the auto parts store.

Out local junkyard has a big bucket of it, they let us put it in there, we dump ours in there and the africans that hang around there use the free coolant in their cars haha

• Like 1

One of my co-workers dog drank anti-freeze and died.  He said it was pretty gruesome to watch as well with the dog writhing in pain and there was nothing he could do about it.

One of the reasons I mentioned the recommended method of disposal for my area - down the drain - is not because I'm a Dudley-Do-Right and always a good boy, I think it's the easiest method of disposal.  Down the drain and it's a done deal.  I don't need another container sitting around the garage for weeds and I don't need to be constantly filling the "raccoon trap".  Dump it and done.

Yeah it is not a lot a fluid but it just feels wrong sending it down the drain. I dumped it in the rocks in the far corner of our yard.