Sign in to follow this  

2002 cr250 motor transplant to 2001 frame

Can this be done? Easily?

I own both and am considering to do usual route of 01 into 02 but then what do I do with the 01 carcass? Prefer to sell whole bike. Both motors in good shape. The 01 carburetes so cleanly compared to the 02 it's unbelievable (both on tmx). 

Have searched but no result...

Edited by shrubitup

Honestly I think you'd get more for the 01 rolling chassis with no engine than an 02 engine in it. Someone who doesn't know much about the CRs might jump on it but those in the know might think they can get an unmolested bike elsewhere for the same price.

Edited by mynewcr250

Honestly I think you'd get more for the 01 rolling chassis with no engine than an 02 engine in it. Someone who doesn't know much about the CRs might jump on it but those in the know might think they can get an unmolested bike elsewhere for the same price.

I see so sell 01 rolling chassis and then also sell the 02 motor as well - basically part out. What do you think? $500 for roller and $500 for the motor? Roller seems like a s-l-o-w sale.

I have receipts for full rebuild on the motor so that should help value wise. 

I've been reading a lot lately about the 2001 cr125. Seems people gate the motor and opt to put 96/97 motors in?

Any info in that? You can easily get $500 for that roller!

I've been reading a lot lately about the 2001 cr125. Seems people gate the motor and opt to put 96/97 motors in?

Any info in that? You can easily get $500 for that roller!

I Think you're on to something. would you be able to do a transplant like that? I'm assuming the 01 250's and 125's had almost identicle chassis. I have interest in a cr125 build to entertain ideas

Read a few opinions out there that the 2002 CR250 frame was originally built up to take the 01 CR250 motor but then they made the late switch and fit up the case reed CR250 version. So, with that - it would seem the 02 CR250 motor may just slide into the 01 CR250 frame....

I'm too lazy to fully disassemble these CR250s at the moment but that could change IF I have a glimmer of hope...

BTW, my thread pertains to the CR250.  :busted:

Edited by shrubitup

All this talk, makes me want to put my 89' motor in the 06' frame and the 06' motor in my 89' frame. Haaaa :naughty:  cylinder reed in the GEN 3 frame. then i'll have 2 perfect bikes, once i fix the valve problem with the 89's forks. I still haven't started my 89' since i got it a couple years ago. mice got into the air filter while it was sitting for 20+ years and brought dirt and bird seed with them. I hope nothings damaged in any way when i finally get to it, also hope i don't have to split the cases to completely flush it out. the bikes essentially new with less than 5 hours on it. i took the reed cage out and saw all that stuff got sucked into the ports. i don't think it ran or they didn't try to start it in this condition, i'm hoping anyway. i also need to fix the cooling system because of all the corrosion in the rads and the right side case cover. hopefully i get to it while there are still some parts available, i don't know how much longer they're going to carry the parts i'll need, and i refuse to shop ebay for used parts.

i'm lazy too and procrastinate too much, but knowing parts availability is a problem, motivates me to try an move my ass and get going on it. it's either too much work and i don't have time to do it, or just don't feel like doing it, IE being lazy.

Edited by Atieri

Read a few opinions out there that the 2002 CR250 frame was originally built up to take the 01 CR250 motor but then they made the late switch and fit up the case reed CR250 version. So, with that - it would seem the 02 CR250 motor may just slide into the 01 CR250 frame....

The 02 motor will fit the 01 frame just as the 01 motor fits into the 02 frame, the front engine mounts will need to be reamed out. The bigger issue will be welding the mounts for the power valve servo onto the 01 frame after removal from the 02 frame.

• Like 1

What kind of shaoe is the 02 250 engine in. I may be interested in a backup engine thx.

New hot rods crank and seals ~75 hrs ago. Jug was welded and replated with same hrs. Second top end on it now with 20 hrs. Clutch and tranny good. Have extra 03 jug for it too but it needs help.

Ima contact my welder for quote on PV install on 01.....

I'm too lazy to fully disassemble these CR250s at the moment but that could change IF I have a glimmer of hope...

BTW, my thread pertains to the CR250.  :busted:

it was, i downloaded a pic off vital showing a factory prototype. honda could of stole the show in that era if they wanted to with their 2 strokes.

2002cr250prototype_zps7cb8c0ec.jpg

Edited by mynewcr250

In 02 I had an 02 ported by Wes Gilbert who worked for Boyesen at the time with a rad valve and exhaust flange and my buddy had a mint 01 with rad valve and good jetting and my 02 made much better power. More low to mid, came on the pipe much easier than 01 and def handled better. The case reeds have a bad rap. The 02 was the first year and the worst but mine hauled ass. They got better every year and they are VERY durable. Run a piston in the 01 motor a little to long and see what happens.

In 02 I had an 02 ported by Wes Gilbert who worked for Boyesen at the time with a rad valve and exhaust flange and my buddy had a mint 01 with rad valve and good jetting and my 02 made much better power. More low to mid, came on the pipe much easier than 01 and def handled better. The case reeds have a bad rap. The 02 was the first year and the worst but mine hauled ass. They got better every year and they are VERY durable. Run a piston in the 01 motor a little to long and see what happens.