Sign in to follow this  

2009 250 XCF conversion to XCW gearing.

Anyone ever do this? I understand I could easily sell this bike and look for one that would be sufficient for high altitude climbing,  but I'm already invested in this bike   :banghead:  and the cases are already apart due to rod bearing failure after 5 rides. :foul:

Anyone have any idea if all the gears need to be replaced, or just some? Trying to decide if conversion is worth it, or put her back together and take the loss and move on.

Appreciate the insight & anyone who may have the parts available. =)

first download the two manuals for the bikes, then see if the case numbers are the same...If they are the same then you can look on ebay for the gears and your done...

It will take you a few hours and a few printed pages to do all the comparison. I had my 450 sxf with four gears swapped to a 5 gear. But it wasnt easy, but it was cheap...$300 for everything off ebay

first download the two manuals for the bikes, then see if the case numbers are the same...If they are the same then you can look on ebay for the gears and your done...

It will take you a few hours and a few printed pages to do all the comparison. I had my 450 sxf with four gears swapped to a 5 gear. But it wasnt easy, but it was cheap...$300 for everything off ebay

thank you for the response  & insight. I downloaded the parts manuals and the case numbers are in fact the same. Still verifying a few other part numbers, but...I am thinking the 2007 250 XCFW gears I found on ebay will work. thanks again!!

just wanted to follow up on the conversion.  went flawless. found a 2007 250 XCFW transmission and there were zero issues.  my 2009 KTM 250 XCF engine case had the same part number as the case for 2007. After researching a few items, the only differance I found was the oil pump gears in the 2007 were metal, compared to the 2009's which were ... man made synthetic wood sort of looking gears. After some research, these '09 gears were suspected to break in some circumstances. Since there had been no reports of this with the metal 07 gears, I slipped those in with the XCFW transmission.

So far, so good. Its a brand new motorcycle with the new gearing. easier to ride in the woods, climbing, during small jaunts across gravel adventures going between trails. Im pretty satisfied.

Now, all you need is a 320 or 350 conversion to pull all those wider ratios.

Now, all you need is a 320 or 350 conversion to pull all those wider ratios.

Yeah!! especially riding in Colorado (6,700-12,500'). Right now, Im dealing with a jetting issue at the moment.  Bike seems to be running lean, a little hot.

Great little ripper, once I get the jetting nailed down.