Sign in to follow this  

2000 xr250 vs 2005 te250

hi guys this is my first post here i have been doing a lot of searching here for various answers and this place has been great help.i currently own a 2000 model xr250 that i was looking to rego and get my license but i have recently come across a 2005 te250 husky that i would also be looking to register.i paid $1500 for my xr250 and i can buy the te250 for $2000 it has 80hrs on it i am wondering how the te250 would compare to the xr250 i am pretty sick of the xr being hard to start and the electric start on the husky would be nice but will it be worth while?i dont know much about the husky and would be great to get some feedback from you guys thanks heaps

I would buy the TE 250 in a minute. The e-start works very well on those models. You should also notice some other improvements as well like handling.

Power wise expect a very big jump. Not sure if the early husky valve issues were corrected with the longer valve stems on the 2005 vs. the 2004. Have you checked your valve clearance on your xr? Mine is super easy to start. It's a better bike in my opinion than my 2009 te 310. Not nearly as fast, and the suspension can't take high speed terrain as well but it's lighter, simpler and (I think) more fun to ride in the gnarly stuff. I'm much faster on my TE in almost all terrain though.

Power wise expect a very big jump. Not sure if the early husky valve issues were corrected with the longer valve stems on the 2005 vs. the 2004. Have you checked your valve clearance on your xr? Mine is super easy to start. It's a better bike in my opinion than my 2009 te 310. Not nearly as fast, and the suspension can't take high speed terrain as well but it's lighter, simpler and (I think) more fun to ride in the gnarly stuff. I'm much faster on my TE in almost all terrain though.

the production of the early - japanese valved TE250 was 2003 / 4,

so as long as the husky IS a 2005 it should be fine,

regarding poor starting RFVC's,

my bike was sorted by doing a thorough CARB clean,

valves are also worth checking,

the TE 250 is a good dirt bike - should be easy to register for road use - BUT it's low geared so will only cruise @ 60 KPH / 45 mph,

Charlie

Thanks heaps for the feedback so far i went and saw the te250 last night and it looks great it needs new fork seals and brake pads which he has for it,hes throwing in a new set of tyres also,it started first go with no choke and idled very smooth but the engine did seem a little noisy (a bit hard to explain) but i figured if there were any problems it would run rough maybe blow a bit of smoke etc.im still a bit unsure which way to go?would changing sprocket sizes change the top end speed and make it better on the road?

I have the 04 te250.

Awesome bike. I beat all my mates around our enduro loop ( they are all 450's)

Very easy valve check / adjustment.

Great hydraulic clutch and brembo brakes. Can't beat it for value for money.

You will miss the 6 speed gearbox that the XR has, the TE gear ratios are very close from what I have read and it is harder to get the gearing right to make it good for road and dirt.  I own an XR250 and have ridden the TE250 and while the TE has more power, the XR's power delivery is smoother, making it better in certain situations.  I found that the XR handled better in real tight woods.  If you are lookiing for a replacement to the XR the TE is a slight step-up but maybe not a big enough leap to make it worthwhile.

Set your fuel screw on the XR carb when the motor is very hot, I found that it makes it very easy to start when the bike is warm.