Sign in to follow this  

2000 XR650R

Just bought this bike. Pretty badass road legal super moto.

First problem is that I cannot start it. Previous owner can do it in 1 kick. What a pain in the ass! Im following the starting procedure, but can not get the hang of it. Guess ill keep trying.

Anybody in Ontario recommend a reasonable insurance company for first time insurer?

Just bought this bike. Pretty badass road legal super moto.

First problem is that I cannot start it. Previous owner can do it in 1 kick. What a pain in the ass! Im following the starting procedure, but can not get the hang of it. Guess ill keep trying.

Anybody in Ontario recommend a reasonable insurance company for first time insurer?

Is it kick start only? If so google "the Honda dance" and you will get the hang of it.

I am with State Farm and it is very reasonable rates. Where in ontario are you?

I bought a plated 2000 r this past march, it was a two owner bike. The original owner owned it for 13 years and the seller I bought it from had it for three weeks and basically sold it because he couldn't start it.   To save myself having to try to mess with the choke in a hurry I take two kicks but if it was a contest you could start it in one just about every time.

Mine takes full choke the first kick and half the second when cold, warm it will go in one every time and half warm takes two also with no choke. There are so many guys on here that are so much more knowledgeable than I that I sort of hate to even start making suggestions. Enjoy your r

I gotter going a couple times tonight. Hopefully with practice it gets easier.

I am planning on adjusting valves, and replacing the rear timing chain guide, as this engine does make a little ticking which I think may be excessive but am not sure. This is a video that the previous owner made for me before I bought it. Maybe you guys can take a listen and tell me what you think. He starts it up just after the 6min mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7oocmIBa3k&feature=youtu.be

Anything else I should be checking for this ticking noise?

Any problems or suggestions with the cam chain tensioner.. how to adjust it, and should I use the factory tensioner or after market manual tensioner?

Edited by Mavrick14

My bikes starts real easy BUT the carb has to be clean and I did put an iridium plug in mine.  If the PO started it on the first kick you should be able to also. I can start mine on the first GOOD kick with my CROCS on " sometimes". I might go through ten or so warm up kicks with the de-compression lever pulled and the let off find the compression stroke , pull the lever , Kick the starter about two inches , let go of the de comp lever kick . My bike ticks pretty loud, especially when cold . 

Edited by jmz

Congrats on your purchase, you will love the bike once you come to terms with it. The XR650R is one of the easiest bikes to start when you know the technique.

A mate of mine did a video to show how easy they are to start.

• Like 1

That video does sound like a "bad tap" sound. Does it have a stage one or two cam?  Both my hotcams have a extra amount of "tap" sound compared to the stock cam. Even with new cam chain.

Practice. In time you'll find the magic sweet spot. It's a first kick bike (warm) 2 if cold. If jetted right.

Well I adjusted the valves over the weekend and added an iridium plug. 1 intake valve was pretty tight. Other 3 valves were within .002"

With less choke (about 75%), it starts right up with 1 or 2 kicks. I feel alot better now.. ha

Now to sort out the electrical and speedo..

Edited by Mavrick14

That video does sound like a "bad tap" sound. Does it have a stage one or two cam?  Both my hotcams have a extra amount of "tap" sound compared to the stock cam. Even with new cam chain.

No bad tap there Scalejocky, that bike is one of the GHR Australian Safari XR650's, it is one of the meanest and fastest XR650's in Australia. I have had it blow the lens out of my googles with roost. (that is a day I would rather forget)

Yeah,,Sounds a nice bike that Mick..Bit easier to start than my 600..Good vid as you can actually see when he has top dead and when he uses the lever to go a bit past..A lot of the others around aren't as good,,.Bookmarked as the method applies to all bikes without an auto decomp on the Cam.

Edited by Horri
  • Like 1

No bad tap there Scalejocky, that bike is one of the GHR Australian Safari XR650's, it is one of the meanest and fastest XR650's in Australia. I have had it blow the lens out of my googles with roost. (that is a day I would rather forget)

I was referring to the first vid.I Didn't watch the second one.

I was referring to the first vid.I Didn't watch the second one.

:blush:  :blush:  :blush:  Ooops my bad.  :goofy:

• Like 1

:blush:  :blush:  :blush:  Ooops my bad.  :goofy:

I wish I was that brave to barefoot start mine... :lol:  Sometimes it's ok ,,,other times it's a ...[insert anything bad]

• Like 1