Sign in to follow this  

What beginner bike is right for my 9 year old son? RM85, KLX110, CRF80

My son wants to start riding.  He is a 9 year old, who is athletic and picks things up pretty quickly.

I originally wanted an rm85, because he won't grow out of it too quickly, and it's the only 85 with a powervalve to broaden the powerband.

But then I thought it might be too much for him and considered a klx110 because it's an automatic... but I eventually want him to learn a clutch as soon as possible.  Would a crf80 be too shortlived because it's lack of power???  Or, have you heard of people getting a throttle stop on the 85 two strokes??

Anybody our there have this issue with their kids in this age range?  I would appreciate your input.

Thanks.

My son wants to start riding.  He is a 9 year old, who is athletic and picks things up pretty quickly.

I originally wanted an rm85, because he won't grow out of it too quickly, and it's the only 85 with a powervalve to broaden the powerband.

But then I thought it might be too much for him and considered a klx110 because it's an automatic... but I eventually want him to learn a clutch as soon as possible.  Would a crf80 be too shortlived because it's lack of power???  Or, have you heard of people getting a throttle stop on the 85 two strokes??

Anybody our there have this issue with their kids in this age range?  I would appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Get the 85.

Well, depending on how big your son is, the XR/CRF 80 is a great bike to learn on.  I had one that I rode for several years before I jumped to the CR 80.  It is a great. mild mannered bike for learning on that can be a lot of fun.  The best thing about those bikes is that they depreciate very little and are bullet proof.  I would go ahead and start with it to get your son used to the clutch.  Once he feels like he is needing more, you can probably sell it for near the price you paid for it, and make the jump to an 85 or 100 2 stroke.

The crfs are great for learning the clutch. My boys started with pw 50, pw80, crf 80, crf 100, then kx85. Kx100 and now yz125. Both went to the er the first week on an 85. We do have some rough trails here though. My friends kid went from blaster to kx85 and did fine. I don't think i'd start with an 85 though. He should be beating a crf before he can do an 85 justice. My boys are 12 and 14 now and are great riders. If you can repair your bikes you can trade up from one model to the next without much loss if you buy used. I have a nice 06 kx 85 for sale here in georgia.

My sons 10 now. Start with the xr80 or klx110l. 80s are much easier to find. The kx85s are pretty dang tall.

Your thinking of two COMPLETELY different bikes crF80 vs a CR85, the crf 80 is a mild 4 stroke kids trail bike, the CR (or YZ, or KX, or RM)85's are purebred race bikes. If you dare to put your kid, at age 9, with no riding experience on a 85cc  2 stroke you will get him hurt badly. start with the crF80 (or similarly sized 4 stroke) and later he can move up to a 85 or 100 2 stroke. My oldest went this route.....crf50, (old ass) XR75, crf100 CR85 and soon he'll go to a bigger bike..thinking a KDX 200. My second son did crf50, crf 70 and now a kx 65 (2t), his next move up will be most likely the crf 100 and then the cr85.

If your son's size is right, he could start on a cr/kx/yz 65 as they are not as "wicked" as the 85 2t bikes. After he has learned respect and can "ride the crap out of his "current bike" (his size will have some determination in this thinking) you can sell the small bike and up grade to a bigger bike. Fortunately a well cared for "mini" tend to resale (used to used) for what you paid for the bike.

FYI---Maintenance and upgrades don't necessarily make the bike worth more. Think about this; what is a non running bike worth? So if you have to spend $500 to repair a non running bike to sell it, you don't get your $500 back ON TOP of what you paid for the bike. You will get your $500 back in the fact that you can sell the running bike for $500 more than a NON running bike.