Sign in to follow this  

CYLINDER HONEING QUESTION

Cant seam to get an answer to this question does anyone know. I would like to no if you can hone the cylinder on a 2009 kx 250f it is plated not sleeved and if so what grit hone should I use? please

Cant seam to get an answer to this question does anyone know. I would like to no if you can hone the cylinder on a 2009 kx 250f it is plated not sleeved and if so what grit hone should I use? please

You don't need to hone plated cylinders but it is a good idea to deglaze. A typical hone that you would use on a iron bore wont do much of anything to a plated cylinder other than deglaze it. When I say deglaze what I mean is to remove the aluminum deposits off the cylinder wall from the old piston that was in there. If you want to invest in a hone for deglazing that is fine but the same thing can be accomplished with a gree scotch brite and some WD-40.

Spray the wd-40 on the bore and then with the green scotch brite push it down into the bore while rotating your hand in. I like to use a counter clockwise rotation but whatever works for you is fine. After working it down and around the bore for a few mins flip the cylinder over and do the same thing from the other end. Once you are done wash it out 4-5 times with dish soap and dry it with compresses air if you have it.

After this process is done you should see a nice cross hatch pattern on the bore which will get you a nice ring seal when you put it all back together.

• Like 2

I agree, chrome plated cylinders cannot be "honed " In a traditional sense.

They are however "Cross hatched" to achieve the rings breaking in.

• Like 1

You don't need to hone plated cylinders but it is a good idea to deglaze. A typical hone that you would use on a iron bore wont do much of anything to a plated cylinder other than deglaze it. When I say deglaze what I mean is to remove the aluminum deposits off the cylinder wall from the old piston that was in there. If you want to invest in a hone for deglazing that is fine but the same thing can be accomplished with a gree scotch brite and some WD-40.

Spray the wd-40 on the bore and then with the green scotch brite push it down into the bore while rotating your hand in. I like to use a counter clockwise rotation but whatever works for you is fine. After working it down and around the bore for a few mins flip the cylinder over and do the same thing from the other end. Once you are done wash it out 4-5 times with dish soap and dry it with compresses air if you have it.

After this process is done you should see a nice cross hatch pattern on the bore which will get you a nice ring seal when you put it all back together.

A little oven cleaner works well too. Let it sit for like 10min. Try not to get it on the outside .Hit it with scotch brite. Then wd-40 and scotch-brite