Sign in to follow this  

Aluminum Panniers Who has them? Bought,Built Pics?

I want to build or buy Aluminum panniers for my drz, I'm interested in building a set because of the huge cost of buying a whole set up, Just interested to see what routes others have taken. Thanks in advance!!! 
(I watched "the long way down" on netflix and decided I have to have them  :ride: )

Look at Army surplus stores, large ammo cans. I've seen several Z's with these mounted to the subframe.

That's a great idea!, I wonder what the weight of two of them vs aluminum would be?

Edited by Corrad

They're aluminum, and fairly light. The look either 16 or 18 Ga, Sheet metal.

They're aluminum, and fairly light. The look either 16 or 18 Ga, Sheet metal.

Ammo cans are steel NOT aluminum. That being said they aren't real heavy.

I remember years ago when I worked as a laborer at a construction company one of my coworkers had a large ammo can for his toolbox and that thing was a tank. Very tough but heavy. Ill have to find some and check them out. 

pelican cases... i took a 3 months, 16500 mile trip on the GS, with Jesse aluminum cans and couldn't get rid of them quick enough after I got back.

I have since made myself a setup with pelican cases and couldn't be happier. They are weight comparable, indestructible and simple to customize.

I wouldn't go aluminum anymore if my life depended on it... it took one good tip-over and the left can was out of shape, leaked and needed welding.

Just something to think about.

• Like 1

pelican cases... i took a 3 months, 16500 mile trip on the GS, with Jesse aluminum cans and couldn't get rid of them quick enough after I got back.

I have since made myself a setup with pelican cases and couldn't be happier. They are weight comparable, indestructible and simple to customize.

I wouldn't go aluminum anymore if my life depended on it... it took one good tip-over and the left can was out of shape, leaked and needed welding.

Just something to think about.

This is an excellent point,for the price of the aluminum ones I would be heartbroken to torque one of them and have it need repairing right away. I'm no pro off-road, sand and small logs catch me once in a  while so I guess the aluminum is looking less and less desirable.. 

The beauty of Pelican Cases is that you can get a bracket from any manufacturer and then make the cases fit.

For the GS, I bought Givi brackets and then bought 1650 cases and made them fit. I also installed straps to limit the case openings to 90 degrees, so I can actually use them to put stuff on, or prevent contents to fall out.

I also mounted steel loops on top so I can strap things to the tops of the cases. Total cost to me, 288 bucks. In essence, PRICELESS! I have peace of mind, water tight cases and all that at a fraction of the cost of aluminum cases.

For the "Z" you'd have to go with smaller cases, but the outcome/effect will be the same.

For a DRZ my opinion is soft bags. If mainly highway hard bags are great. Bear in mind lots of vibration and the need to minimize weight. A soft bag will never crack.

Not saying there is anything bad about them. I just think in that application soft is better. They have issues as well though. If you go hard pelicans are an excellant option over Ally. Ammo cans are way too heavy. Indistructable but heavy.

For the DR-Z I'd probably have to agree with the soft bag way to go... that way you really only need a support bar for the bottom of the bags and you can minimize weight/maximize payload....

But I don't understand the notion of traveling with the DR-Z to begin with... anything over 250 miles is torture for me, especially off-road. Not saying it shouldn't be done... just saying I wouldn't do it.

I don't really plan on travelling insane distances with the bike but more want to be able to load it up for a camping/fishing trip. 

Dirt bags are pretty good. They need a better shield to avoid melting the RHS.

Not sure how big you want to go, but I got these army bags for like $18 each at a surplus store. Made a bracket to go under the seat and the other end loops around the rear rack... I have one on each side

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378338543.324352.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1378338515.487377.jpg

• Like 2

hard bags are not a good idea onthe DRZ, not for the reasons of leg safety off road.....but that really should be considered. The other issue is that the DRZ sub frame won't handle the additional weight of the non flexible bags and heavier loads. The weak AL sub frame will eventually fail. Best thing to get would be the Wolfman soft bags and mounts. If your still concerned about the sub frame...like I was you can add a brace from the Wolfman mounts to the sub frame. It substanially stiffens up the sub frame and if adding a cross bar for more strength, you'll have a convenient grab handle.

IMG_0259.jpg

Edited by One Less Harley
  • Like 1

No, you didn't... you suggested that it would be best to use the Wolfman brand... not that you actually HAVE the Wolfman... so, you left it wide open. Something to consider when you question other people's ability to pick up on stuff.