Sign in to follow this  

Header temp?

Anyone ever stick a thermometer on the header pipe after a ride to see the temps generated? Or the whole system for that matter?

It's not the header temp that matters, it is the exhaust gas inside that does...  An EGT sensor reading would be the way to go.

• Like 1

internally, guess 1250f a few inches away from the head

In other words don't touch 'cause it's gall darn mother freaking what in the sam hell was I thinking hot!!!!   To put it nicely that is...  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

OK, but no one knows what temp!

That all depends on a bunch of things like load, engine temp, speed, rpm, air temp and so on...  Figure between -35 - 1100 degrees on the outside...  The inside temp is what counts.

• Like 1

Im thinking of coating my system, just wanted a ball park figure to know how hot it got to see if the material I have will work or not! I know some guys do weird stuff like take a temp reading, maybe, but yes, I know its hot, i know it burns holes in jeans and all the other backwoods , homily based descriptions!

Guess i'll just go buy a thermometer and figure it out, BUT, if anyone does by chance get a reading, someway, somehow, let me know!  Yes, it is lickin' lizard hot!

• Like 1

Im thinking of coating my system, just wanted a ball park figure to know how hot it got to see if the material I have will work or not! I know some guys do weird stuff like take a temp reading, maybe, but yes, I know its hot, i know it burns holes in jeans and all the other backwoods , homily based descriptions!

Guess i'll just go buy a thermometer and figure it out, BUT, if anyone does by chance get a reading, someway, somehow, let me know!  Yes, it is lickin' lizard hot!

http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/

i know you cant use it on a header but has anyone ever seen the PRO-CIRCUIT stick on "tape type" thermometer??? its like what you would use on your kids forhead... i think its $20 on ebay...  

1200 degrees Farenheight would be max temp for the L. Jet-Hot is a great product, but you will need to find a metal coating company to buy it and apply/cure for you. I am getting the Jet-Hot 2000 put on my diesel truck exhaust manifolds.

Are you going to get your FMF header and muffler coated?

Edited by dkappelm

I got a decent 2nd hand Big Gun, but just wanted it to be different, the coating I have is "guaranteed" to 800, after that they can't guarantee no discoloration or?

So that is why I was curious as to how hot it "actually got in action, like I said, if after a ride someone would just stick a needle thermometer on the pipe to see what it registered, gives me an idea if a waste of time and money!

800 F probably not enough. Other thing is, some of the high heat paints like VHF affected by petrol. ...but they are good for a year or so, at least.

I was considering coating my mega bomb header as well so would be curious to know the temp if anyone ends up taking a measurement. I'm also not sure how the coating will affect performance. The header is from BDSB so it already has an internal ceramic coating. Thoughts?