Sign in to follow this  

2013 KTM 250SX Ignition Map and Powervalve

Hi guys,

Just got my barely used 2013 250SX. I am familiar with the power valve springs (Red = Aggressive, Yellow = stock, Green = Mild). But I haven't heard of anyone testing the different ignition maps and never read any articles that speak of it until I read it in the owners manual just now. HAs anyone tried it with the cable plugged in (Agressive) vs unplugged (soft)?

Also, what spring do most of you use? I also have the Kreft Power Dial which allows me to adjust the preload of the spring by simply twisting with my hand, pretty cool gadget.

Thanks for your input!

Yes. When you unplug the wire (I use a handlebar switch) it will take the edge off the hit and top end. It's quite handy for slick tracks.

Does it come stock plugged in or unplugged? I'm figuring I would leave it plugged in, and then just fine tune with the powervalve springs.

Changing power valve spring will change how hard the engine hits, not how it runs on top end. For that I like the switch, well worth the $30 in my book.

Stock its plugged in (performance mode) I've read about it recently and most people say its not worth wiring a switch to your handle bars, like he said it makes the hit of the power band less agresssive making less wheel spin

Thanks i'll check mine and ensure its plugged in. Do you have to remove the tank or anything like that to get at it?

Yes you need to remove the tank its located under the frame

Thanks for the heads up. The previous owner also told me that he used to mix the fuel at 50:1 which I have done but it seems to run a bit rich. Does anyone have any jetting recommendations for the for the following conditions?

Altitude: Sea level

Temp: 29-32 Celsius

Humidity: relatively high

I had to run a 40 pilot instead of the stock 42. Bike would rumble stumble and gurgle with a 42, put the 40 in and it was very crisp.

I had to run a 40 pilot instead of the stock 42. Bike would rumble stumble and gurgle with a 42, put the 40 in and it was very crisp.

Thanks Rocket.

I was changing springs on my bike for the first time and wasn't paying attention to which way I took it out and now I'm confused on how it goes back together.i'm just nervous about if I have it right or not.the cut out of the spring insert,does the cut out of the insert at the end of the main spring go into the case vertically to engage the angle lever?or does it go in horizontal.if any body could help me out I would appreciate it.

Edited by Dz261

I was changing springs on my bike for the first time and wasn't paying attention to which way I took it out and now I'm confused on how it goes back together.i'm just nervous about if I have it right or not.the cut out of the spring insert,does the cut out of the insert at the end of the main spring go into the case vertically to engage the angle lever?or does it go in horizontal.if any body could help me out I would appreciate it.

If my memory serves me right, it can only go in one way to the angle level, and that horizontally. Once it engages the lever, it can't be turned.

Hi guys,

Just got my barely used 2013 250SX. I am familiar with the power valve springs (Red = Aggressive, Yellow = stock, Green = Mild). But I haven't heard of anyone testing the different ignition maps and never read any articles that speak of it until I read it in the owners manual just now. HAs anyone tried it with the cable plugged in (Agressive) vs unplugged (soft)?

Also, what spring do most of you use? I also have the Kreft Power Dial which allows me to adjust the preload of the spring by simply twisting with my hand, pretty cool gadget.

Thanks for your input!

Where did you find this at in the manual. I've been looking for instructions on it but cant find it (plugging or unplugging to change map setting.)

Thanks!

I have a switch on my 2011 250sx. I love it. I change it all the time while riding. I have found it to be the most fun when it is in the second map (unplugged) setting. Wheeling out of corners is so much fun!

I also have a 13 250sx. What ratio are you running in ure premix? The manual recommended 60:1 which is super lean. Everyone is telling me to run 40:1 Also, have u had troubles with yours idling?

What is this ignition map u speak of? Where is it located on bike?

60:1 is not super lean if you run good quality oil that is made to run at that ratio. You have to read your oil bottle and see if it is made to run at that ratio. I run 52:1 in all my bikes. I run that because it is easy. 5gl of gas to 12oz of oil. Oil comes in 12oz bottles and gas cans hold 5gl of gas.

HAs anyone tried it with the cable plugged in (Agressive) vs unplugged (soft)?

Also, what spring do most of you use?

Thanks for your input!

I have a '13 XC 300 . I run the red spring and I have the SX cdi installed. I wish the different maps were more noticeable. I had a 300 xc-w a few yrs ago and when I put the sx box the difference was huge but the sx box seems to switch between agressive and slightly less agressive. I wish it switched between the SX and XC-w maps , the very mellow XC-w map would be useful in some situations. I don't notice much difference between the 2 maps on the SX box, I have the switch and leave it on agressive...I ride a gear taller in slick conditions.  Be careful running 60:1 premix. Maybe If you are running Motul which is like molasses it's probably OK but Everyone that I know that races or trail rides a 250/300 runs no less than 45:1 , about 3 oz per gallon. I run Dominator but any good name synthetic is fine.