Sign in to follow this  

Flywheel weight?

Hi guys,

New here...first post!

Started riding a YZ 250 a few months ago, and loving it. Only thing I'm having concerns with, is keeping the throttle steady in variable terrain. While the YZ has great lugging power, it can also be very snappy. A friend suggested looking into flywheel weights. Have you experienced the difference? Is it worth it? Noticeable benefit? After riding a while, the arm pump is brutal.

Thanks so much!

I know tons of guys who run FWW and like them but for me I didn't like how bad they made my bike vibrate at higher RPMs. I even swapped out with another thinking the first one was not balanced but the second one did the same. I didn't want it to cause stator or crank bearing issues so I scratched the FWW idea. I ended up retarding the ignition 2 degrees and that was the hott ticket. Tuns off lug, tamed the snap and no strange vibrations.

Just my experience

• Like 1

Hi guys, New here...first post!Started riding a YZ 250 a few months ago, and loving it. Only thing I'm having concerns with, is keeping the throttle steady in variable terrain. While the YZ has great lugging power, it can also be very snappy. A friend suggested looking into flywheel weights. Have you experienced the difference? Is it worth it? Noticeable benefit? After riding a while, the arm pump is brutal. Thanks so much!

Do some searching under "FWW". your question has already been asked and answered many times.

A flywheel weight will do nothing for arm pump. That is conditioning and riding style, usually the 'death grip' on the bars.

However, riding any bike in the woods, a heavy flywheel is a great benefit.

Disagree. A fww very much will lessen arm pump. 2s are notorious for elevated arm pump stemming from the powerband "hit". Fww's smooth out the "hit" which in turn lessens arm pump. You also make a valid comment by stating "death grip" is a factor of arm pump. I have fwws on both my yz144 and my kx500 and my arm pump is much less than not running a fww.

• Like 1

Maybe in addition to the FWW, try a more progressive throttle tube.  I don't remember who makes them (I'm sure SOMEONE will post it!) but they also soften the throttle application and help the hit. 

• Like 1

Maybe in addition to the FWW, try a more progressive throttle tube.  I don't remember who makes them (I'm sure SOMEONE will post it!) but they also soften the throttle application and help the hit. 

G2 Throttle Tamer.  Does what it's supposed to, good stuff :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I've actually also changed my opinion on FWW's.  I really like the way the YZ hits the power.  Good fun!  Fine for blasting down fire roads and non-technical stuff.  But for even slightly technical trails or tight MX tracks, the hit is so sudden that my reaction time doesn't quite equal the YZ's performance.  It could be my age...and then again, I'm not sure I was ever fully able to dominate a bike that hits like this.  So, I'll be shopping for a 13 oz. FWW very soon.   G2 throttle tamer too!

• Like 1

Im using a 11oz  FWW on my yz250 and its great :), just waiting on my g2 throttle cam to get delivered now

Why such a range in weight options? Some say 8oz, some 13 oz...Opinions?

Different weights allows for more versatility for different riding terrains. Woods racers prefer the heaviest as they dont want the hard "hit. Beginner and novice mx'ers will benifit from a lighter fww as it will minimise stalling and slightly smooth the hit which ultimately help put better traction into the dirt. I have a 15oz on my kx500 for max smoothness (and the bike still has insane power btw), and i have a 7oz on my yz144 just to add some smoothness out on the mx track.

• Like 1