Is Amsoil premix for real?

I run motul 40: 1 in a 300xc,50sx and kx125- I have mechanics and fellow riders tell me to try Amsoil premix and run it at 100: 1.

Will the jetting need to change? Will I need ethanol free 93 octane or racefuel? And more importantly is there increased risk?

Or should I back the motul up to 50 or 60:1

Of course the jetting would need to be changed.  I would stick with the 40:1, but that is just me.  I run 32:1 on my 250, jetting is good and she runs great.  No reason for me to change things up just because other people do something different.

Edited by KcDavis
  • Like 2

Of course the jetting would not need to change significantly (less than the diff between morning and afternoon if you do the math), but I still run amsoil interceptor at 40-50:1.

• Like 2

100:1 is not a good idea in anything bigger than a weed wacker and low rpm lawn equipment.  It doesn't leave enough residual oil for storage between use.

• Like 1

Amsoil makes a 100:1 premix for weed whackers called Sabre.  But their Dominator and Interceptor oils for dirt bikes should be run at 32:1 - 50:1  Besides what do you gain running all of these weird ratios?  4 gallons fits perfectly in a 5 gallon can and and one pint or half a quart treats 4 gallons.  Whether you buy by the pint or by the quart the math is simple you either use the whole bottle or half the bottle.  The more modern MX bikes all came from the factory jetted to run 28:1 for a 125 and 32:1 for a 250.  Pre 90's MX bikes were often jetted to run 20:1

Edited by 1987CR250R

My bike is to be run at 40 to 60-1 according to KTM. I'm running Interceptor at 40-1, can't get myself to put less oil in, even though they say it's fine. I always ran 32-1 before, but the new bike runs best at 40-1. 100-1 is never gonna happen for me.

I don't see why people run ridiculous oil ratios, I don't see any percieved performance gain, just not as good ring seal, buuuut, my stepbrother ran 128:1 in an 85 by accident for like 3 months (he thought 1oz to 1gal was 32:1) and even went to a practice day on 128:1, idk if it did any damage however, ill have to see if there's any plating left when I do his next top-end haha

• Like 2

Don't take any advice from someone that suggests that you run a dirt bike at 100:1.

• Like 6

I run motul 40: 1 in a 300xc,50sx and kx125- I have mechanics and fellow riders tell me to try Amsoil premix and run it at 100: 1.

Will the jetting need to change? Will I need ethanol free 93 octane or racefuel? And more importantly is there increased risk?

Or should I back the motul up to 50 or 60:1

Is one of the guys named Bubba? I ride with a guy who's been a motorcycle mechanic for years and  runs Amsoil at 100:1 in his KTM 250 and says he has over 200 hours on his top end. Not sure about the bottom end is still original or was done with the last top end job.

Edited by EagleFreek

I run Amsoil Saber professional at 32:1 Its about as close to the Honda oil as you can get.I used Dominator for a season but it seemed to carbon up the power valve more.I ride woods,Dominator is probably better for MX.

I agree with the others,don't rum 100:1

I run the same 32:1 mix in my weed trimmer and saw.Machines like oil.

Don't take any advice from someone that suggests that you run a dirt bike at 100:1.

Yep,

100:1 isnt enough oil in any machine. I ran dominator in my rm250, I would take the topend off and check the bottom end for residual oil. I was told by an engine builder  good rule of thumb is you should have 1/8th inch of standing oil after doing a full throttle chop. I put a chopstick down to the bottom of the case. I had to run 25:1 to-get the 1/8th inch.

100:1, kiss your motor good bye if you ride it above idle

Edited by adam8781

I'm a dealer for Amsoil.. what I've learned is that the additive package is what protects the cylinder and piston rings, not the oil per se.  The oil itself is the delivery unit, the additives are the protection.  You can mix a 10W:30 oil with your fuel at 25:1 and it's not going to protect the motor.. you'll smoke your crank and burn the top end because the additives aren't present. 

Tthe 100:1 ratio is the Saber Professional or the Saber Outboard, the former being for small two stroke motors like chainsaws and weed trimmers, the Outboard for boat motors.  The additive packages are designed for extremely lean mixtures up to 100:1 ratio, and it reduces smoke and emmissions.

The Amsoil Dominator two cycle oil is designed for dirt bikes, to run at 50:1 ratio.  Your jetting plays a role, but the oil's engineering determines greatly the ratio it should be mixed.  The additive package in Dominator is for 50:1, and if your jetting is at or near specifications for your temp altitude humidity etc, the 50:1 mixture is perfect. 

Gotta study up on oils Adam8781, see my other post.  I used to believe the same thing.. I've run my lawn equipment with Amsoil 100:1 oil made for small engines, never had a problem.  I used to run the same oil in my bike at 75:1, never had a problem, but now I run the Dominator which is designed for dirt bikes and performance two strokes at 50:1. 

One thing for sure when mix ratios are being discussed: You hear a lot of opinions, a few experiences, but very little fact.

CoKTM

Edited by coktm
  • Like 1

I open the manual, read what it says, run that oil and ratio, drink beer and be happy.....don't know what all the fuss is about.

• Like 3

I'm a dealer for Amsoil.. what I've learned is that the additive package is what protects the cylinder and piston rings, not the oil per se.  The oil itself is the delivery unit, the additives are the protection.  You can mix a 10W:30 oil with your fuel at 25:1 and it's not going to protect the motor.. you'll smoke your crank and burn the top end because the additives aren't present. 

Tthe 100:1 ratio is the Saber Professional or the Saber Outboard, the former being for small two stroke motors like chainsaws and weed trimmers, the Outboard for boat motors.  The additive packages are designed for extremely lean mixtures up to 100:1 ratio, and it reduces smoke and emmissions.

The Amsoil Dominator two cycle oil is designed for dirt bikes, to run at 50:1 ratio.  Your jetting plays a role, but the oil's engineering determines greatly the ratio it should be mixed.  The additive package in Dominator is for 50:1, and if your jetting is at or near specifications for your temp altitude humidity etc, the 50:1 mixture is perfect. 

SO.....do you prefer dominator or interceptor and why?

Joe

Back in the day (mid 80's I think) I used to use the Amsoil premix and it was supposed to be ran at 100:1 ratio.  I used to run it that way in my KDX400 without problems.  It was awesome stuff!

Yep,

100:1 isnt enough oil in any machine. I ran dominator in my rm250, I would take the topend off and check the bottom end for residual oil. I was told by an engine builder  good rule of thumb is you should have 1/8th inch of standing oil after doing a full throttle chop. I put a chopstick down to the bottom of the case. I had to run 25:1 to-get the 1/8th inch.

I run a light viscosity oil at 28:1. When people ask me how it's possible that I've raced MX for 33 years without ever having a crank or rod bearing failure, I tell them I use a lot of oil.

Anyone can be an Amsoil dealer. l you need is some money, and nothing else