critique my technique

You're going to put your foot on backwards after you hit a stump or other unseen trail-side obstacle if you don't get your toes in.

Use only one or two fingers on your clutch (instead of four) and cover your front brake with one or two fingers also.  It looks like your clutch lever is too far out to make one or two fingers comfortable.  The bend on your clutch lever should hit your hand stop on your grip when engaged.

Again with your feet, I was always taught to point your toes straight ahead when cornering to prevent the possibility of them catching on a rut or something.  Although, the top Pro MX'rs point their toes slightly in when cornering.  I've tried it the Pro way and it does feel more balanced but old habits are hard to break.

I don't think it is as important to point your toes in as it is to move from your arches and try to ride on the balls of your feet.

maybe tilt your visor up a little bit lol

i was born splay footed, it's hard to get my toes straight, see i had a two finger thing all down early season and was more than comfortable with it, then i had to take a msf course for streetbikes and they pounded 4 finger on each into our heads, i'll try fighting the habbit, i did it before, didn't really noticed i started doing it again!

You're going to put your foot on backwards after you hit a stump or other unseen trail-side obstacle if you don't get your toes in.

Use only one or two fingers on your clutch (instead of four) and cover your front brake with one or two fingers also.  It looks like your clutch lever is too far out to make one or two fingers comfortable.  The bend on your clutch lever should hit your hand stop on your grip when engaged.

Again with your feet, I was always taught to point your toes straight ahead when cornering to prevent the possibility of them catching on a rut or something.  Although, the top Pro MX'rs point their toes slightly in when cornering.  I've tried it the Pro way and it does feel more balanced but old habits are hard to break.

i have also hit stumps and tree's i really will try to start fighting it but it's a pain in the arse to do. and clutch lever, wrong clutch perch for bike wrong lever i hate it and can't stand it, i've got an oem one ordered after my last harescramble remembered why i had the thing sitting on the bench instead of on the bike, put it back on and wanted to shoot myself.

One thing I have to say is when you stand try to squat and squeeze the bike with your knees, you have more control and less armpump.  You look ok in your corners,  but you can try a few things.  It looks like on the bottom picture that your not centered on the bike and are kind of on the edge of the seat.  Try to stay centered and stay inline with the bike.  Another thing is you look like you are leaning back on the bike and when you get on the gas you hang on.  Try to lean forward head over handlebars when you gas it or better yet right before you gas it so you can let that back end drift out and keep that front end going where you want it.  You may not notice it on a 125 but when you move up to a more powerful bike with that position your in now your going to wheelie for days and just hang on.

One thing I do gather from all the pictures is that you ride a lot with your upper body.  Try to use your legs more and squeeze the bike so it doesnt get away from you and loosen up those arms.  

Edited by Ringo25

One thing I have to say is when you stand try to squat and squeeze the bike with your knees, you have more control and less armpump.  You look ok in your corners,  but you can try a few things.  It looks like on the bottom picture that your not centered on the bike and are kind of on the edge of the seat.  Try to stay centered and stay inline with the bike.  Another thing is you look like you are leaning back on the bike and when you get on the gas you hang on.  Try to lean forward head over handlebars when you gas it or better yet right before you gas it so you can let that back end drift out and keep that front end going where you want it.  You may not notice it on a 125 but when you move up to a more powerful bike with that position your in now your going to wheelie for days and just hang on.

One thing I do gather from all the pictures is that you ride a lot with your upper body.  Try to use your legs more and squeeze the bike so it doesnt get away from you and loosen up those arms.  

thats actually really funny, i was saying to my girlfriend after byron last weekend that the only thing that hurt were my arms and shoulders, little abs but not much. i noticed the off center a bit when you mentioned it. not quite sure i see what you mean by leaning back on the bike? just sitting too far back etc etc?

looking at your 2ed to last pic, it looks like your suspension is unloaded, so there is probably more to the pic then you just riding, but going on about using your arms and upperbody....

You look very upright. The thing with that is that is it is inefficient. Increased leverage creates greater forces that are fatiguing. Balls of the feet on the pegs, bending more at the knees, butt back, back closer to parallel with the ground, head forward over the bars (which your doing great already), which makes it easy to keep your elbows up. That is good body position. Unfortunately as you get tired, all that shit tends to go out the window....... try it out and see if it works for you.

thats actually really funny, i was saying to my girlfriend after byron last weekend that the only thing that hurt were my arms and shoulders, little abs but not much. i noticed the off center a bit when you mentioned it. not quite sure i see what you mean by leaning back on the bike? just sitting too far back etc etc?

I wish i could see all the way through the corner but something to keep in mind is.. when you gas it you lean forward so you keep traction on the back tire and you keep your front end down.  Its a bit of an advanced technique but it really helps because your back end will slide out instead of stick and then wheelie.  Also try not to lean too far back.  Your not too bad in that pic but if you lean a tad forward you can take the pressure off of your forearms.

Like so

wall9.jpg

Hope this helps and made sense!

looking at your 2ed to last pic, it looks like your suspension is unloaded, so there is probably more to the pic then you just riding, but going on about using your arms and upperbody....

You look very upright. The thing with that is that is it is inefficient. Increased leverage creates greater forces that are fatiguing. Balls of the feet on the pegs, bending more at the knees, butt back, back closer to parallel with the ground, head forward over the bars (which your doing great already), which makes it easy to keep your elbows up. That is good body position. Unfortunately as you get tired, all that shit tends to go out the window....... try it out and see if it works for you.

thanks! and the 2nd to last was on a straight where some whoops were poorly cut out, picturecaught at the right time maybe?

I wish i could see all the way through the corner but something to keep in mind is.. when you gas it you lean forward so you keep traction on the back tire and you keep your front end down.  Its a bit of an advanced technique but it really helps because your back end will slide out instead of stick and then wheelie.  Also try not to lean too far back.  Your not too bad in that pic but if you lean a tad forward you can take the pressure off of your forearms.

Like so

attachicon.gifwall9.jpg

Hope this helps and made sense!

being kind of a visual learner that picture acutally really clarified, so the way you're making that sound, ride it into and out of a corner like a flattracker? without the retard speed obviously

that picture of js looks like an sx bowl turn. It's a good picture, but exaggerate and impractical technique. -in this average joes opinion-

look at his inside elbow, dropped lower then a mother &%$#@!er. He's fast but unorthodox. Master the 'classic' technique before you start trying to develop your own technique.

looks at kw14's technique. He is where it's at. Ultra smooth, energy efficient,  and his technique is classic, technical and applicable.

Edited by Die_trying

that picture of js looks like an sx bowl turn. It's a good picture, but exaggerate and impractical technique. -in this average joes opinion-

look at his inside elbow, dropped lower then a mother &%$#@!er. He's fast but unorthodox. Master the 'classic' technique before you start trying to develop your own technique.

looks at kw14's technique. He is where it's at. Ultra smooth, energy efficient,  and his technique is classic, technical and applicable.

Its a common technique actually and yes k-dub does do it as well.  Windham turn.JPG141_0807_01_z+drew_ruiz_photos+ryan_villopoto.jpgRyan-Villopoto-2013-Budds-Creek-Motocross-Photo-by-Hoppenworld1 (1).jpgCIMG3176.JPG

Its just part of riding a dirt bike.  When you hit the gas you lean forward.  Going into the corner you want to be neutral not hanging on the bike....

Its a common technique actually and yes k-dub does do it as well.  attachicon.gifWindham turn.JPGattachicon.gif141_0807_01_z+drew_ruiz_photos+ryan_villopoto.jpgattachicon.gifRyan-Villopoto-2013-Budds-Creek-Motocross-Photo-by-Hoppenworld1 (1).jpgattachicon.gifCIMG3176.JPG

Its just part of riding a dirt bike.  When you hit the gas you lean forward.  Going into the corner you want to be neutral not hanging on the bike....

that picture of JS has his clutch hand elbow below the handle bar. In the picture you posted the rest of them all have their elbows above the handle bar except poto who has he elbow below the handle bar due to what i'm assuming is wide open throttle. That pic you posted isn't classic technique. The first two pics you posted can't be compared to your JS pic because they are in totally different parts of totally different corners that require totally different technique, 3 is comparable, and 4 is too far out of the corner.

I'm not arguing against leaning forward under acceleration, that is basic shit. I'm arguing against using JS as an example where he is leaning down and off to the side of the bike more then any of us ever will.

Every picture you posted other then js has the rider in line with the bike.

Edited by Die_trying

i wish i had a flame thrower.......

Taking everything into account what others have said about your technique, you seem to have a reason or excuse to why you do that.....

The only reason you ride the way you do is because of poor habits.... Change your habits or risk twisting a knee, damaging a shoulder etc etc.

And those pictures of motocrossers do very little in terms of helping a offroad rider. It's far and few in between that we have banked corners that we can settle into.....

You try to ride in line with the bike in this picture and your 100% going to be holding your shoulder while walking back to the ambulance... That tree would take you out...

947137_10201283948527014_189282783_n_zps

Edited by originalmonk