Sign in to follow this  

2010 KTM 300 XC issue(s)

Hey guys, I'd like to start by saying the obvious, that I am new here. I'm 16 and I have two bikes. A KTM 150 XC and a KTM 300 XC. I'm a Pennsylvania native and have over 400 acres for riding. Now to the point you all came for, my 300 has been having some issues that I'm somewhat worried about. When riding, the bike likes to rev up when I pull in the clutch. I checked the throttle cable and that is not the issue. Along with these issues, the bike likes to cut out sometimes. I drained and cleaned the carb a few times and that doesn't seem to be the issue. One other issue I am having is the battery doesn't hold a charge well and it usually doesn't have the power to start the bike. I've had it changed at the local dealership 3 times and it still doesn't work. Any opinions/ideas on why these issues are happening, let me know. Thanks in advance everyone!

You can clean the carb all day and still have problems, if your jets look good don't mean they are , change them. Sounds like your throttle is hanging due to your idle screw being turned in to far, maybe got that way because your pilot is junk and turning up the idle screw to try and compensate is causing your mess.. Check your slide where it contacts your idle screw to see if there are any indentions that would cause your slide not to settle right when you close the throttle. Letting your throttle go and snapping closed is hard on the idle screw surface of your slide..... I have yet to pull apart my 300 xcw carb as it's new but I have seen these issues mentioned above on my past bikes with single pull carbs.

• Like 1

You can clean the carb all day and still have problems, if your jets look good don't mean they are , change them. Sounds like your throttle is hanging due to your idle screw being turned in to far, maybe got that way because your pilot is junk and turning up the idle screw to try and compensate is causing your mess.. Check your slide where it contacts your idle screw to see if there are any indentions that would cause your slide not to settle right when you close the throttle. Letting your throttle go and snapping closed is hard on the idle screw surface of your slide..... I have yet to pull apart my 300 xcw carb as it's new but I have seen these issues mentioned above on my past bikes with single pull carbs.

I agree with RearWheelin.. pilot jets are so small that it's nearly impossible to clean them without soaking in carb cleaner and a compressed air shot.  Just replacing the pilot jet and rejetting the bike to spec would be the best way to go from here.

The stock suggestions for my 300's jetting are pretty close, but I had to go in on the air screw 1/2 turn extra to get rid of the glug glug when I rip the throttle off idle.  Also I run one clip leaner on the needle.  The bike runs great this way. 

Batteries have a limited life cycle, which gets shorter the more times they are deeply discharged. Chances are its old and needs ro be replace, especially if its the stock battery, that puts it close to 4 years old, which is old for a small battery sitting through a couple of cold pa winters.

As far are as the hanging idle, the above suggestions are good. If that dosent work start looking for air leaks, like from the reed block, or left side crank seal. Do a search on air leaks and you'll find a few different methods for chasing them