Can someone give me some suspension advice...'13 YZ250 for woods.

I know it is a MX bike and ideally I should get a re-valve but I'm looking for tips on adjustments to the forks for woods riding but I do not have a firm grasp on damping and sag.

I'm a little over 6 feet tall and weigh about 175 lbs.

I've looked up how to set suspension sag but not sure what number I am after.  Is there a magic number so I know if I need to increase or decrease the pre-load?

The main problem I have is it feels like the front end shoots up into the air very quickly when I hit certain parts of the trail (certain bumps).  It feels like the forks are too sprung and if the fork would compress more it would not feel so stiff and shoot the front end up on certain bumps.

So with what I just described would that mean I should decrease or increase the compression damping?  Or is it rebound I should be messing with?

Once again.  New to the suspension thing and would appreciate any help. 

I think maybe you should try posting in the suspension forum, you will probably get a better detailed answer there, and also there's some good sticky forums there that describe how suspension systems work, will help with understanding the concept

The main problem I have is it feels like the front end shoots up into the air very quickly when I hit certain parts of the trail (certain bumps).  It feels like the forks are too sprung and if the fork would compress more it would not feel so stiff and shoot the front end up on certain bumps.

So with what I just described would that mean I should decrease or increase the compression damping? Or is it rebound I should be messing with?

It seems the reboud damping will be too weak. Try to increase the rebound damping with 2-4 click.

If there is the improvement of the problem in it, It may be a good way to change the spring rate 4.3N/mm to 4.2N/mm.

Check your clickers are on stock settings. Get your manual out.  Do not trust the previous owner or the shop. If no book, then 10 out on everything is a good starting point.

Beware of excessively slow fork reb. Worse than fast reb in my opinion.    If the rear wheel cannot drop back down fast enough then you lose traction in some sweeper corners, and when the front disconnects from the dirt too early when railing a corner rut it can upset the balance of the bike.

Check your sag is at 100mm. But that mostly effects turning handling and not the front jumping up.

Ensure bar position and bend let you get over the front enough.

Maybe your front tire pressure is real high. That'll bounce the front wheel up more.

Consider moving the rear axle aft. Add 2 links or down down two teeth in the rear.  make a big diff to the ease of lofting the front.  But I'm not sure what you're describing.

Edited by numroe

It seems the reboud damping will be too weak. Try to increase the rebound damping with 2-4 click.

If there is the improvement of the problem in it, It may be a good way to change the spring rate 4.3N/mm to 4.2N/mm.

I'll have to disagree. 

Step one. Set the bike to the stock specks listed in the manual. If you don't know exactly where you are. Your clickers could be anywhere.

If your front end "shoots up", you could be packing. Which would mean that you have too much rebound dampening. Back off a couple of clicks and try it out.

It is not uncommon for guys who ride motocross to use more rebound dampening than you want in the woods. What happens is that the roots and rocks and stuff come faster than the bumps on a moto track. The stiff rebound does not allow the suspension to fully recover between bumps. So it packs down until it hits one that bounces it up in the air where it can recover.

When I ride with my moto refugee buddies in the woods I'll take a short ride and then ask if anyone is deflecting a lot. Someone always is. I have them pull a couple of clicks off of their rebound and they are usually happy.  

Edited by shagger

Thanks guys for all of the advice.

I bought the bike new so i'm guessing it is still at stock settings but you never know.  Someone at Yamaha might of thought they were doing me a favor and changed the settings.  So I will make sure they are all set at stock and go from there.

I checked the front tire pressure and it is at 10 right now so definitely not too high.  I had it at 12 last time I filled it up but that was a while ago.  12lbs shouldn't be too much right?

After making sure my settings are stock I will make sure my sag is 100mm.  After that I will try to decrease the rebound damping a couple of clicks and see if that helps. 

It isn't terrible but did notice on some areas (mainly short but steep bumps) the front end felt like it reacted odd to the obstacle.  Almost like the effect of a double bounce on a trampoline (if anyone gets that analogy).  The front end would bounce up and higher quicker and stay up longer than I expected it too.

Thanks again.