Sign in to follow this  

good deal of bad deal?

I am thinking about buying a 2003 ford F-350 4x4 crew cab truck for $11,000, It has 150,000 miles on it.  it has a nice lift on it and it is in really good shape. i would like someones thoughts is this a good deal? or will i run into alot of problems with a 6.0L? i have heard they have had alot of problems. But i have also heard the problems usually happened on the 6.0 at low miles and if it has over a 100,000 miles it has been worked on good and been well maintained. Is that True? should i buy it?

Not low miles most problems with the 6.0 occurred at 70,000-90,000 but my question is why do you want a truck with 150,000 do you need an f350 or do u simply want one

150,000 isn't to bad for a diesel they are just getting broke in. But the reason why I want a f 350 or f250 diesel is because I have had a 97 diesel that I just sold with 240,000 on it and like diesels more than gas trucks.

7.3's are better. Look for an 01-02 7.3. When I was looking for a truck a few months back, There were plenty of 7.3's in that price range with similar miles.

The 6.0 is fine, if you make sure the "issues" are taken care of. I have a F350 with the 6.0 and have had no problems with it. Here is the deal with the 6.0, they have a bad reputation because they were blowing head gaskets left and right, usually people running tuners and adding 100+ HP but it does happen to stock untuned mottors as well, Ford never to this date has admitted the problem, it's the Ford Gold Coolant they insist you use in it combined with the emissions "EGR" system.

Someone figured this out a while ago and it's pretty evedient what was causing all the issues, the coolant contains silicates, when the truck is worked hard and the coolant passes through the very hot EGR cooler, it causes the silicates to drop out of the coolant which then becomes a gooey sandy like material that slowly begins to clog up your oil cooler. The cooling system on the 6.0 runs coolant through the oil cooler (a resivoir like a small radiator) and has oil and coolant passing through it with the intent the coolant cools the oil etc., etc., from there it passes through the EGR cooler to cool the extremely hot exhaust gasses that pass through the EGR cooler (it's an emissions thing), what happens here is the silicates clog the "fins" of the oil cooler reducing the flow of coolant, eventually to the point that the coolant begins to boil as it passes through the EGR cooler and causing the EGR cooler to fail, dumping coolant into the cylinders = Blown head gaskets. 

There are several ways to address this, But first you need to determine if your oil cooler is becoming or is clogged or not, you do this by getting a gauge (like a scanguage) and checkinge oil temp and coolant temp, when the motor is completely warmed up (oil at 198 I believe) get on the freeway doing 55-60 or so and check the oil vs coolant temps, if there is more than a 15 degree difference in temps it's clogging up, normal is 4-5 degrees.

At this point no matter what you need to ditch the Ford Gold coolant and flush the motor with Fleetrite "Restore" then Ford "VC9" then flush completely with distilled water, this will remove a good portion of the silicates (the Restore product) and the rust/scale (the VC9 product). Some have had the flushing help clean out the cooler but if the difference in temps is at or near the 15 degrees It most likely wont last long, the oil cooler needs to be replaced and Refill with an ELC coolant (CAT EC-1 Rated) such as Fleetrite as it does not have the silicates in it, and while thats being done you can do one of several fixes for the EGR cooler.

Cheapest is to do an EGR delete kit, if you dont have issues with emissions testing where you live you can do that and eliminate the whole stupid EGR system, and the truck will run cooler too.

Another option is to replace the EGR cooler with an aftermarket one, such as the Bullit Proof Diesel cooler which is much more heavy duty and wont fail quite so easily.

Or you can replace the cooling system with an aftermarket system like the Bullit Proof Diesel kit that completely removes the on board oil cooler and mounts a seperate cooler on the condenser or front bumper makinf it air cooled.

That said the 2003 has a more stout EGR cooler than the 2004+ 6.0, if it's round and not square you may be ok as there has been far less of those failing than the later models.

Look in your coolant resivoir and if you see a sledge in the bottom of it guess what that is, I would see if the seller has any records of the oil and or EGR cooler being replaced, they should always be replaced together and picking up a scanguage2 for $150 or so is cheap insurance when looking at a used diesel, especially the 6.0, if the temps are ok, do the flushes and refill with the ELC and your good to go.

A cut open clogged oil cooler.

DSC_0128-2.jpg

• Like 1

If I take the truck to a shop would they be able to test all that? And another question is..if there is a little bit of smoke that comes out of the oil fill cap when i open it, is that okay or is it bad?

The 6.0 is great after an EGR delete and reasonable tune. If you have the money, get studs replaced.

My suggestion is get a 7.3 though. I have an 02 with 185k and no issues ever.

If I take the truck to a shop would they be able to test all that? And another question is..if there is a little bit of smoke that comes out of the oil fill cap when i open it, is that okay or is it bad?

?

?

Yes, but find a good shop that knows diesels and especially the 6.0, there are very few Ford Dealers service departments that I would trust, they will just replace the coolers and dump the ford gold coolant right back in it. I would suggest going to the bullit proof diesel site and check their find an installer page and see if there is one in your area, usually the shops that use their products know the motors well.

No problem with a bit of steam coming out of the oil filler cap, you dont want to smell diesel in it though.

The 7.3 is indeed a good motor, the 6.0 can make better power cheaper but like KGmx said you will want head studs installed before you run any high HP tunes, I would feel ok with stock head bolts and up to a 60hp tune but thats about it. A lot of folks are happy with just an upgraded FICM. And the 6.0 is the last of the Ford diesels where you dont have to deal with the regen/uria crap.

• Like 1

+2 on hecklers statement. He knows exactly what 6.0l's need.

As I was reading I was going to recommend the same things.

The key to 6.0l failures is heat.

Keep fresh oil in it and the bullet proof diesel kits.

Edited by ridngslikecrack

unless your very wealthy and love to work on engines I wouldn't touch a 6.0 with a ten foot pole.  I've had two and I've worked on dozens.  It's not "if" it's "when and how much".  run forrest run

Wouldn't buy it. I've owned one before and didn't even get to 100k before I went through 2 turbos, complete computer and fuel injection module. And the truck was totally stock and babied. The 6.0 has a bad reputation for a reason.

my dad has a 6.0 head studs replaced egr cooler replaced has about 110,000 miles the repair was not cheapfor the previous owner. had another friend with a 05 6.0 didn't change the oil enough had 2 injectors go out right at theend of the warranty I think they are something like 400 each

150,000 isn't to bad for a diesel they are just getting broke in. But the reason why I want a f 350 or f250 diesel is because I have had a 97 diesel that I just sold with 240,000 on it and like diesels more than gas trucks.

150k miles isn't bad for most diesels, but it's a ticking time bomb for a 6-point-blow.

If your budget is forcing you into a higher mileage truck, and you really need a HD towing rig, shop gassers.  For the same miles, same age, same options, they're many times half the price.  Can buy a lot of gas for $5k.

First chicken hauler post I've seen in awhile have you been gone or just in different threads than me ?

Edited by FishSticks

First chicken hauler post I've seen in awhile have you been gone or just in different threads than me ?

Been busy impersonating a carpenter doing home improvements and repairs when I'm not trucking-only reason I showed up yesterday was I ran out of materials, ambition and cooperating weather all at the same time.