YZ 250 EFI Actual Videos. (Dyno runs, mapping curves and general riding)

We have had this system running on the YZ for 8 months now. There has been no real problems, just a Chinese fuel pump failure!

We use two injectors injecting into the rear two transfer ports, pointing towards oncoming air from the crankcase. Injection occurs within the transfer period until higher up in the RPM where we start injection before transfers open. We don't inject after the transfers have shut. This system seems to be very tunable. ECU is LINK ( made in NZ ), it's a standard car unit with our program in it. It delivers similar top end power to my standard bike ( although it can deliver a little more yet ) but power delivery is much  tractable. It appears to be a good reliable sound system. I haven't had to tow it out of the forest yet.

Edited by uniflow
  • Like 2

magneti marelli has been doing

high perf EFI / prototype systems

for years .

heard they perfected something

for Aprilia gp 2 stks years ago,

but too much power (?) for the

riders exiting corners. system

was shelved ?!

https://www.google.ca/search?site=&source=hp&ei=Re4nUr3nGu634AODtoAY&q=magneti+marelli+ecu&oq=magneti+ma&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.1.0l5.1937.11865.0.24361.11.8.0.3.3.0.751.3483.3-4j3j0j1.8.0....0...1c.1.26.mobile-gws-hp..0.11.3630.3FeT3_7Cl8E

Regarding that first vid, I guess I'm not going to worry about the noises coming from my engine.  It makes that same "GMC blower" whining noise that mine does.  Must be the straight-cut primary gears.  I think on the same vid, near the end, at idle there is a distinct "ding - ding" sound, that mine doesn't even make.  I feel better now.

Converting to efi is going to be a big hit IMO. As ECU's get better and better with maps and A/F sensors its just a matter of time before there will be  a kit for all us die hard 2 stroke guys. I know here is a company in the western states trying to get a ecu produced that monitors A/F ratios 100 times per second and auto adjust for it. I read that on dyno tech

( http://www.dynotechresearch.com/index.htm ) this past winter. Dyno tech is a snowmobile dyno service. When that hits the market ever one will go to a efi as there will be no worries of burn downs at all. I like a carb as it is easy to tune and can be fixed in just a  few minutes my self. But once they have these aftermarket efi's correct I will be switching to one as to be 100% of the time right on the ragged edge with out having to get in the carb is what it is all about IMO.

Realistically, it seems that the

technology is all ready here /

been done all ready, and just needs

to be fine tuned, and mass

produced.

The kart place mentioned up

^ a few posts took a 45 hp 125cc

kart motor, stuck on Fi, and

got over 50 hp, but had some

high rpm issues with sensors

Did I mention? we are seeing a general fuel saving over my standard YZ250, same tracks, same times. On faster rides down to approx 14%, general forestry type trail ride action we find 20%. I would imagine both bike full out would be similar fuel consumption ( similar power ). IMG_9612_zps62651693.jpgIMG_9625_zpsbb68b8db.jpg

Did I mention? we are seeing a general fuel saving over my standard YZ250, same tracks, same times. On faster rides down to approx 14%, general forestry type trail ride action we find 20%. I would imagine both bike full out would be similar fuel consumption ( similar power ). IMG_9612_zps62651693.jpgIMG_9625_zpsbb68b8db.jpg

What kind of skid plate is that?

I have been installing and tuning cars for years, but in cars I have room for packaging the ECU, the automotive ECUs that I have dealt with (Motech, Haltech, Holley, Accel, etc) have very large ECUs to put into a bike, but I guess one could remove the casing and reduce the size and just be left with a board that needs to be protected.