Sign in to follow this  

CR500 PWK carb swap, worth it?

so I've been thinking about throwing some more money at my old CR500, a popular mod seems to be replacing the ancient PJ with a PWK, but could someone tell me what the main benefit is with the PWK? more power? more revs? easier jetting?

I don't really have any issues with the PJ, starts 1 kick cold and hot, runs smoothly, idles just fine despite that crappy choke-knob adjuster thingy it has.

anyone done this swap who can share their experience with me?

so I've been thinking about throwing some more money at my old CR500, a popular mod seems to be replacing the ancient PJ with a PWK, but could someone tell me what the main benefit is with the PWK? more power? more revs? easier jetting?

I don't really have any issues with the PJ, starts 1 kick cold and hot, runs smoothly, idles just fine despite that crappy choke-knob adjuster thingy it has.

anyone done this swap who can share their experience with me?

If your bike is running that good with the pj there probably isn't much benefit to a change. Some guys like to go from the 38mm pj to the 40mm pwk on the 500's though because it smooths out the power delivery and adds top end.

The separate idle is nice too but, to tell the truth (and I've owned both), it's not enough for me to lay out the cash for one.  Like yours, my current 500 runs just fine with the stock PJ. 

Better pull off the bottom and Smoother pull into the powerband. Not less power just more unsalable. If you ride single track I would say it is a must do.