Sign in to follow this  

Bottoming out on wr250

Hi all,

I'm a relative newbie to all this. I've a 2004 wr250f. I mainly green lane. I've noticed that over some bumps my rear suspension bottoms out.

I've checked my Haynes and there seems no way to adjust the stock suspension to a harder setting.

So I guess I need new, well, what?! Would new springs do it? Or do I need a whole new suspension system including the dampers and such?

Any advice to a naive newbie very welcome.

Cheers

Nick

Hi all,

I'm a relative newbie to all this. I've a 2004 wr250f. I mainly green lane. I've noticed that over some bumps my rear suspension bottoms out.

I've checked my Haynes and there seems no way to adjust the stock suspension to a harder setting.

So I guess I need new, well, what?! Would new springs do it? Or do I need a whole new suspension system including the dampers and such?

Any advice to a naive newbie very welcome.

Cheers

Nick

The shock on a 2004 WR-250FS is adjustable like current shocks on current motocross bikes:

*Spring preload

*Spring rate (by changing the spring, if needed/wanted)

*High-speed compression damping

*Low-speed compression damping

*Rebound damping

*Nitrogen reservoir pressure (to some degree)

My advice is to ditch that Haynes manual and get a copy of the WR-250FS Owner's Service Manual the bike came with from brand-new, as this book covers suspension tuning in some detail.

The first things I'd do would be greasing all of the rear suspension bearings/seals, having the shock serviced if it hasn't been in the last year, and then setting the rider sag and checking free sag to get an idea of how the spring rate suits your weight.

The shock is actually as adjustable as the shocks on the motocross bikes, and is, in fact, straight from the YZ range of motocross bikes.

1. Shock is adjustable so adjust it.

2. If it still bottoms out, seal may be blown and no oil in shock. If that is the case, take it to a suspension expert to have it fixed.

3. If it still bottoms out, lose weight.

The WR shock might look the same on the outside, but no, the WR shock is definitely NOT straight from a YZF. The WR shock is softly dampened and the springing is usually on the soft side as well. The WRF can be re-valved to have firmer dampening and get into the same ballpark as the YZF shock. Remember that the fork is also soft as well.

Of course, remember that we're talking about a 10 yr old bike here and we don't know your weight nor riding skills, so the problem possibilities are really wide open.