Sign in to follow this  

HELP! Gilera Nordwest 1992 Wheel fitment

Good morning everybody,

Im a new member to this forum only joined yesterday so Gooday to you all from Southampton UK. 

Im currently in the middle of rebuilding a 1992 Gilera Nordwest Supermoto, for those of you that dont know what they look like standard heres a picture, this is the exact model i have same colour everything. 

standardnordwest.jpg

However the chap i bought it off had changed all the fairings for the Gilera RC ones so it looked a bit more like a modern day supermoto with a square front headlight board and a high front mudguard. 

I have now stripped everything off the bike and bought a load of new parts like an acerbis front mudguard and headlight a DRC Edge 2 tail tidy, black handguards and various other bits in a bid to modernise it as i dont want to get rid of it. 

As you can see from the photographs the standard Gilera Nordwests come with cast ally wheels which are weighty and i personally do not like them at all therefore i want to change them for spoked supermoto wheels. The standard wheel sizes are front 3.50 x 17 and rear 4.00 x 17. Can someone please give me a hand and tell me what spoked wheels from other bikes would fit or where i could source some wheels for it? Also i dont know whether you can see from the picture above but the bike has twin front disc brakes which i want to change to a single disc, can i just remove one of the discs and callipers in order to suit the new wheels? 

This can be done to these bikes as i have seen many pictures online of Nordwests with spoked wheels and single front discs for example see these pictures below:

spokedwheelsnordwest.jpg

gileranordyspoked.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me, i really want to make this bike something and start enjoying owning it!

Cheers Joe

Can a mod/administrator please move this to the supermoto section? Apologies i didn't see it!  :smashpc: