Sign in to follow this  

Info about the KTM 400 EXC

Hi all.

Since I need a replacement for my Husky WR250, I became curious about 4 strokes..the KTM 400 EXC, around 2002 versions.

I had the chance to ride a 2002 version last sunday for a brief moment on a grass field and I was charmed already after 5 seconds, it felt good.

It was a lot lighter than I thought it would be, with very controllable power.

But as I'm almost entirely riding deeper sandy open spaces, with some fire roads, often with whoops, how does a EXC 400 hold up in that kind of terrain??

I like the characteristics of my old WR in sand, it's very light and relative longish, so no troubles at high speeds with the front end planted stabile and firmly..but the sensitivity of the carb and engine is such a downside, besides, the engine is fried now, parts are expensive and some becoming harder to get.

I got a bit confused about some topics about the 400 on the internet.

The frame of the 400 would be identical to a 450 version, a typical bike for wide open spaces I think, but a bit heavy..and yet I see tests/reviews about a 400 EXC where it is compared to a KTM 200 EXC woods bike, confusing.

So what kind of bike is it?

Edited by deanevo

Not much chime from the orange brigade..

Maybe better stick with Husky then.

Edited by deanevo

I hear a lot of people like them a lot. A good amount of torque and not too much like a 450 or bigger bore bike. If you do a search I'm sure there are a few different threads on them. 

Thanks, there are indeed reports and tests, but almost all about hard pack trails, woods and rocky conditions etc.

Engine wise i believe i will not be dissapointed with this 400 btw

I could look around for a 450, but maybe that's a bit too much with all that torque, they told me that it can surprise you unpleasantly when your spinning rear gets grip.

As 2 stroker guy, I thought the 400 would be a nice alternative vs the 450, maybe a bit more agile and better in cornering, to keep a little bit of 2 stroke feeling.

I have seen 2003 version 450's riding around, but it looked a bit sluggish sometimes.

Anyway, i like bikes with a steady front end, which makes it relative easy and less tiring in sand.

I hear a lot of people like them a lot. A good amount of torque and not too much like a 450 or bigger bore bike. If you do a search I'm sure there are a few different threads on them.

Edited by deanevo

The 400 is the same bore as the 450 with a shorter stroke. It responds more quickly and feels lighter riding. Also the power delivery is very flat throughout the RPM range with little hit anywhere. I've had three of them and all were great bikes. The last one I did the 453 kit which is a really nice improvement and as far as I'm concerned much better than the 450.

I certainly wouldn't turn down one in good condition.

The only time I rode one I hopped on it thinking it was a 450 and wondered what was wrong with it. Smoother, more mellow power delivery. Otherwise it felt like a slightly lighter, slightly less powerful 450 to me.

There is a 2002 candidate.

It looks really well on the pictures...

http://www.speurders.nl/overzicht/ktm-exc-400-enduro-131242856.html?query=ktm+400&category=&local-postcode=&local-distance_value=25

There was also a new 2009 arrival coming in at a shop, but they have no pictures and price yet.

Edited by deanevo