Recent buyers of '13 250-300's

I have noticed quite a few folks in the forum have recently purchased new 13 model year 250 & 300's. So I thought I would start this thread where we could discuss our shiny new rides. Set up, experience, tricks, upgrades, etc. Just a go to spot to maybe help one another out?

Good idea, I hope the thread gets legs.

Here is my '13 250XC on her virgin ride:

2013-07-12132446_zps2e54128a.jpg

Before the first ride I install the KTM hard parts rad guards, p/n 77735936044

2013-07-12102250_zps8134cf4d.jpg

The guards fit on the bike in a unique way.  The fit was spot on and they seem very, very sturdy.  I recommend them so far

2013-07-12104401_zps7b5fcb4a.jpg

2013-07-12104349_zps7c93f2ba.jpg

I also tried installing the KTM Hardparts Skid Plate, p/n 55103990100.  This did not go very well.  I could not get the LHS forward clamp on.  The hole is directly drilled under the motor mount bolt.  I tried shaving the clamp:

2013-07-12113711_zps0a417871.jpg

It still will not fit.  I will have to re-drill the hole.  A quick search has turned up that I am not the only guy with this problem.  I do not recommend the skid plate.

Next up on the list was the KTM Hardparts Hour Meter p/n SXS12450600.  Nothing special here.  It is mounted on my fork leg until I can find a better place. 

2013-09-04082308_zpsd37eb554.jpg

I have yet to install the Emperor Racing Linkage Skid Plate, EE Spark Arrestor Endcap and EE rear brake guard.  I also have a set of Cycra hand guards to be installed. 

My suspension is not fully broken in yet so I have not fiddled with it much, I think 4 clicks out from stock on the front end.  But even not broken in the suspension is leaps and bounds better than my '10 450EXCR,  A steering damper is a must do on the 450 with its poor forks.  But the 250XC works very well with out one so far.

My jetting is still stock for break in but honestly does not seem that far off.  Next ride I will drop the needle a notch and go from there.  

What are you guys running for jetting and float height?  I am at 1500ft and up.  

And is anybody in the mood to give me a quick primer on the adjustable power valve?  This is my first KTM 2 stroke.

Edited by bkoz

I had problems with the skid plate, too. It took several mods to get it to fit to my satisfaction. I drilled new holes in the skid plate for the front clamps. On the right side I moved the hole further back so the clamp would clear a weld on the frame. On the left I moved the hole forward so the clamp would clear the engine by a comfortable margin but then I had to cut the clamp so it was not over the weld on that side. To install the front clamps, I used a little strip of duct tape to tape them to the frame. This kept them from slipping out of my fingers and down onto the top of the plate where I couldn't get to them.

IMG_0082.jpeg

IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0084.jpeg

i just rejetted mine its perfect now. i used a n3ch needle 3rd with a 165 main and a 38 pilot im running between 2500-5000. ive also tried all three springs and for me so far the yellow is the one i like best with two turns in it seems to lug very well on tight st and still has good power

I have the KTM six days quick release skid plate coming this week for the 300. I'll let you guys know how that one goes. I'll post up a little more tonight after work about what I've done so far and what is being done to the bike. So far I think I'm on the right track. Still trying to get my jetting in the sweet spot. I have a JD jet kit coming and I think I need to lower my float some. It seems like my plug is getting washed almost. That's with the KTM suggested jetting for 2500' and 90°+ heat

Posted Image

Here is where I mounted my trail tech hour meter...

Posted Image

I think this thread is a good idea ! 13" xc-w 300 owner here.

I finally took mine on a real trail ride last Sunday after feeling comfortable it was broken in enough :) I jetted mine for 2500-5000 out of the book and seems pretty good. I noticed during extended low rpm sections it would load up a little but not enough to turn in the slow jet adjuster screw or put the 163 main in(was 85 F) all I did is set needle in position 3 . Motorx 60:1 . I am impressed with it fuel economy so far .

So far I have re- greased the stem and swingarm pivot bearings . Moved bar mounts forward and setup controls to fit me. I haven't adjusted suspension setting , important to experience the stock settings first :)

The gearing on this bike seems pretty good although I will be getting a 53t rear and look into a 12t(if they make them) and 14t cs . I find myself needing lower gearing to help minimize clutch work and get more out of my second and third gears. Unless you are riding extremely knarly stuff the gearing is good ,

My aftermarket list so far is short and sweet. EE skid plate , Trail Teck temperature gauge , EE pipe guard , EE Sparky(nice quality) and Cycra Pro Bend hand guards. Next to get is a TM chain guide.

This is where I ride the dez !IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_3741.jpgIMG_1774.jpgIMG_2915.jpgIMG_9623.jpg

Would also like to compliment this bikes cool running temperature compared to my 4t bikes of the past. With that said I will be adding a battery powered cooling fan that gets put on the bike according to where I am riding. I have run total loss lighting and fan systems in the past and has worked well for me, about 3 lbs for fan , battery and switch and gives me 5-6 hrs fan time at 150 cfm..... Or might get a more powerfull lighting coil :)

Edited by Rearwheelin

I think this thread is a good idea ! 13" xc-w 300 owner here.

I finally took mine on a real trail ride last Sunday after feeling comfortable it was broken in enough :) I jetted mine for 2500-5000 out of the book and seems pretty good. I noticed during extended low rpm sections it would load up a little but not enough to turn in the slow jet adjuster screw or put the 163 main in(was 85 F) all I did is set needle in position 3 . Motorx 60:1 . I am impressed with it fuel economy so far .

So far I have re- greased the stem and swingarm pivot bearings . Moved bar mounts forward and setup controls to fit me. I haven't adjusted suspension setting , important to experience the stock settings first :)

The gearing on this bike seems pretty good although I will be getting a 53t rear and look into a 12t(if they make them) and 14t cs . I find myself needing lower gearing to help minimize clutch work and get more out of my second and third gears. Unless you are riding extremely knarly stuff the gearing is good ,

My aftermarket list so far is short and sweet. EE skid plate , Trail Teck temperature gauge , EE pipe guard , EE Sparky(nice quality) and Cycra Pro Bend hand guards. Next to get is a TM chain guide.

This is where I ride the dez !IMG_3409.jpg

IMG_3741.jpgIMG_1774.jpgIMG_2915.jpgIMG_9623.jpg

Where is your ride spot....? looks fun.  :ride:

Where is your ride spot....? looks fun. :ride:

1 HR from my house here in Bakersfield , Ca. :)

Good to see some folks getting on board with this thread!

So to finish off where I left off on setting up my 300XC...

I set my suspension up to the sport settings per the KTM manual and so far the setting is working really well for me. No complaints so far. The front fork on this bike is remarkable! Very plush throughout the entire stroke and no bottoming on in the nasty stuff. Fully geared I come in right around 165lbs so I can get away with the stock springs. Besides setting the clickers I set the sag as well as greased all bearings in the rear suspension, steering head, and wheel bearings. I took all electrical connectors apart and gave them a dose of dielectric grease and went over the bike with the torque wrench.

As mentioned I am running the KTM suggested jetting and I am still running rich and once the JD jet kit arrives I will set the float level. It was suggested that setting the float 5/8" from the bottom of the float to the carb base was the way to go so that is where I will start. The KTM jetting may have been right if I could bring myself to run 60:1 but I just can't do it!! I am running her with Motorex at 40:1. I have the red spring installed and the adjuster is at the stock position. This is also working out very well, the bike rips but is still very controllable. A lot like my wife... very easy going but with almost no effort can hit pissed off.  

I'm sold on the 13/50 stock gearing and it will work perfectly for the type of racing I will be doing. I was out pre running the course last weekend and it worked very well. I could get it in 3rd gear and stay there most of the time only dropping in to second to destroy berms in the corners. In the straights I was hitting 4th and sometimes 5th before the course dove back in to the twisty 3rd gear stuff again.

So far upgrades have only consisted of armor.

I used the Slavens Racing linkage protector. Seems to be a very solid unit. Install was easy as I already had the linkage apart for greasing.

IMG_20130904_164342.jpg

I used the Enduro Engineering carbon pipe guard for protecting the stock pipe. The guard will also fit the FMF fatty pipe which is what I will end up replacing the stock pipe with (I hear the stock pipes are susceptible to cracking) but I have no evidence of that as of yet.

IMG_20130904_164241.jpg

Bullet Proof Designs took care of protecting the rads. Not only do they look killer they are tough as nails! Fit and finish on these are way above average. They went on perfectly.

IMG_20130815_201412.jpg

KTM hard parts took care of protecting my digits and saving my levers (as much as I hate to drop it; it hasn't happened yet but I know it will happen) These are just Enduro Engineering guards with KTM branding.

IMG_20130904_164322.jpg

System Tech Racing speed bleeders to make life a little easier

IMG_20130904_164023.jpg

I loathe, I mean LOATHE stock footpegs. I found these Tusk pegs that are much wider have great grip and at a great value compared to pegs from Fastway and the like.

IMG_20130904_164146.jpg

Hammerhead oversized brake pedal tip. If you don't have one GET ONE!! You will kick yourself for not doing it sooner!

IMG_20130904_164215.jpg

TM Designworks chain guide. These things are indestructible period! I have one on my 450 and its takin' a beating and remains rock solid.

IMG_20130904_164114.jpg

Up front I mounted a Acerbis disc guard. First time using this product so I'm not sure how it'll hold up. Odd mounting setup :- / The aluminum bracket actually replaces a wheel spacer. Not sure how I feel about it just yet but I'm willing to give it a chance.

IMG_20130904_164048.jpg

Still waiting on a few parts...

1) KTM Six Days quick release skid plate

2) TM Designworks rear brake shark fin and caliper guard kit

3) JD Jet Kit

4) GPR V4 sub mount steering stabilizer

I will update as parts arrive.

Too clean. That bike needs to be drug over some rocks and looped a few times

Too clean. That bike needs to be drug over some rocks and looped a few times

All in good time.. All in good time! Only 5.5 hours on the clock.

All in good time.. All in good time! Only 5.5 hours on the clock.

Hah! Mine got looped at 0.9 hours. Seems like every time I let my cousin ride it he crashes it. Wierd since he has a '12 300xc. Guess I'm a slow learner...

So far on my '13 300xcw:

Disassembled and greased from the dealer

Bars cut 1" on each side (2" total)

KTM hard parts pipe guard

KTM hard parts radiator braces

Hyde racing orange skid plate

Enduro engineering handguards and flags

KTM hard parts rear disc guard

Scott's dampener

BRP polymer isolated sub mount

BRP top clamp hand guard mounts

Enduro engineering 90* clutch line

JD jet kit

Hammerhead +.5" shift lever (for my size 12's)

Suspension sprung and valved for my weight/height/riding style/ability

Future mods:

Tubeliss system

Seat concepts seat

Possibly a trail tech journey depending on impressions from Hezzdown

A diet to improve my riding endurance. I sit on my ass all day at work now

Edited by Supr Sloguy

+1 on the TM guide, had on on my last bike. Very nicely up graded.

Would also like to compliment this bikes cool running temperature compared to my 4t bikes of the past. With that said I will be adding a battery powered cooling fan that gets put on the bike according to where I am riding. I have run total loss lighting and fan systems in the past and has worked well for me, about 3 lbs for fan , battery and switch and gives me 5-6 hrs fan time at 150 cfm..... Or might get a more powerfull lighting coil :)

By the looks of those goat trails your riding I'd say the KTM fan kit would be in order. I agree about the 4T cooling. Its a PITA to get under control. My 09 450 XC-W took some doing. With it I installed the KTM fan kit, upgraded to a silicon hose kit, installed the hard parts oversized water pump impeller and filled the system with engine ice. That's a fairly healthy investment on a cooling system! It works excellent now, no overheating issues even when getting in to the tight slow stuff.

I had to ad a second fan to my last 4t (TE 511) and XF coolant to keep that bike stable. The 300 does good , just need to stop sometimes to cool down before the up hills and after . ( they are big hills!).

The motor x is good 2t oil . I tried a 40 pilot and it smoked and loaded up bad on the bottom and spooged oil down the muffler tip, put the 35 back in.

More goodies!

Went to install the EE spark arrestor tip and found that I was shipped a 150XC tip.  No worries, just take a punch to the spacer and it fit perfectly.  So the mufflers between the 150 and 250 are the same minus the core diameter

2013-09-04102545_zpsaed496c5.jpg

2013-09-04103524_zpsfd71cc3f.jpg

I was able to install the 4th skid plate clamp with out drilling a new hole in the plate.  I had to grind the clamp down more so it wouldn't hit the engine case.  Just a note, taking the pipe off made all the difference in the world to ease the installation.

2013-09-04110023_zpsbd195532.jpg

Installed the EE rear brake disc guard.  Perfect fit.

2013-09-04160018_zps45ff5af0.jpg

Installed the Emperor Racing Link Guard.  Only 5 hours on the bike and already showing link damage.  Also lubed the linkage, KTM was saving money on grease here.

2013-09-04113149_zps3faf753b.jpg

2013-09-04113115_zps592a3282.jpg

The link guard seems very sturdy but be aware that the bolts and the little aluminum tabs are very soft.  I ended up doing some helicoiling

2013-09-04160031_zps8f5ae4ee.jpg

2013-09-04160043_zps00d4d013.jpg

I really wish that KTM tucked the pipe and linkage up better like on the YZ250.  My pipe already looks like this:

2013-07-12180403_zpsc243c938.jpg

Any suggestions on an aftermarket pipe that mirrors the stock powerband?

Edited by bkoz

From what I understand the stock pipe is the same design as the FMF fatty just not as well made.

KTM quick release skid plate installed. Thick heavy plastic but I was hoping it would wrap up around the cases a little more. It will suite my needs though.

Posted Image

Must say it seems that me and most of the Ktm 300 owners in this thread like the ST ! Here are a couple good vids I watch from time to time.

Riding the Dusy Ershim aboard a KTM 300 ! I am in this vid on my former ride @2:48 putting down a knarly pass.

Yeah , really knarly ... My vid , shooting some of the guys going up Thompson hill , 1400 ft rocked out climb. The guy on the quad is bad ass, he almost killed himself that day, only one on a 2wd to do this 36 mile trail throughout the Siera's . :)

Let's armor up boys ! The trail is open, going the 14-17 !