Sign in to follow this  

Baja Designs Dual Sport Kit Floating Ground VS Tusk

Does anybody have any long term use with the Tusk Dual Sport Kit, as I am trying to see how the charging system holds up compared to the Baja Designs set up.  Is the Baja Designs system better/worth it because they float the ground and replace the regulator?  What is the advantages of doing this? I plan to wride the bike, an 07 WR450 a short distance to work.

Thanks in advance.

I had the Baja D set up on my old 05 wr450 (came on the bike). I had issues with it not charging the battery at idle when I had GPS, heated grips and phone charger all on. I ended up putting a trail tech stator in. Someone did a test of all of the stators and the trail tech had the best charging at idle. I had no problems after that. All of the baja D controls, are good quality. 

On my 06 I made my own kit out of hyway dirt bike parts but I used the tusk wiring loom as my start point. I put a trail tech stator on it from the get go and have no problems. 

Baja D is a great company so I don't want to slam their stuff. The kit worked fine if I was always riding the bike. However, if I was putting around in traffic with everything on the battery would drain and it was really hard to get the charge back up. I had a brand new battery in it to. 

Floating the ground is necessary to have a DC system.  So if you have a battery, that's what you need.  BD makes a good product, but is pretty overpriced IMO.  There's no benefit to buying a DS kit verses building your own except that you'll pay a couple hundred dollars for the convenience and end up with pieces that maybe weren't your 1st choice.  I spent around $400 to dual sport my XR400 including a 200w RS stator, DC regulator, 4 Tusk blinkers, an Acerbis Cyclops headlight, Tusk LED tail, 2 hydraulic brake switches, horn, switch, and wiring.  The BD kit costs $100 more, features a headlight and blinkers from 1982,  and doesn't include a 200w stator or regulator.

I've had excellent success with both Trail Tech and Ricky Stator for stators, and both had excellent customer service whenever I called with wiring questions.  RS will also float the ground on any stator you order if you request it.

Theirs: 

121301RD.jpg

Mine:

DSCN1371.JPG

So since I have a battery, I must float the ground no matter what system I use?  It seemed like people were using the Tusk system with just the wiring kit and still able to have enough power from their battery to use the electric start?.. 

So since I have a battery, I must float the ground no matter what system I use?  It seemed like people were using the Tusk system with just the wiring kit and still able to have enough power from their battery to use the electric start?.. 

You dont have to float the ground to run a dual sport kit. You can leave your headlight running on AC. And run the other lights off the battery making sure to run LED to keep the draw down. You cant draw much power out of the battery with out floating the ground.

You dont have to float the ground to run a dual sport kit. You can leave your headlight running on AC. And run the other lights off the battery making sure to run LED to keep the draw down. You cant draw much power out of the battery with out floating the ground.

I'd like to learn something new today .

What is meant by "floating the ground" as compared to a solid frame type ground ?

TIA . :)

Floating the ground is when you isolate the stator winding from a frame ground connection. 

Interesting . Thank you for the explanation .

Doing that is advantageous how ? Would it have something to do with CDI 'signal' or function ? Just guessing ...