Sign in to follow this  

2012 motor?

Hey guys i exploded the motor in my 2012 crf250 last weekend and pretty much everything is destroyed, cases, cylinder, crank, some trans parts, valves, head, etc. So basicly right now im in the market for a replacement motor. My question is what year motors will work with my bike, im guessing anything from 2010 to 2013 would work. Are there major changes from 2010 to 2013 in the motor that i should know about? It is going to be built into a mod motor so I'm not really concerned about different cams or porting etc since that will be taken care of anyway. Let me know what you guys think, Thanks!

the cylinder head on the 2010 has a larger port every thing else is pretty much the same if you find a 2013 you may have t switch the stator not sure .

the cylinder head on the 2010 has a larger port every thing else is pretty much the same if you find a 2013 you may have t switch the stator not sure .

I have a spare head laying around for my 12 motor, will that head fit on a 2010 motor? 

yes it will

Thanks for the help Ron  :thumbsup:

What happened to your motor?

Pics?

It was recently rebuilt (about 6 hours ago) and I had put a hot rods crank in it and the connecting rod failed.

950B2AE4-4C80-4465-A2B3-1CFB492D9D1D-701

5FBB19CE-6938-428A-89EF-6557E7789F0E-701

BE8D5546-C6B0-4DCF-9175-2C1C340689E7-701

458500EF-5AE9-4AFE-8AB9-C51E3B39191B-701

35DB16DB-16E3-473F-BDD9-DCE87A7C5596-701200222DA-CE97-4436-BF55-1D194A3ED36B-701

My intention is not to rub on a sore spot but... I bet you wish you wouldn't have tried to save a few bucks on that crank shaft now, do ya?

Fortunately I learned my lesson on the small two strokes of my sons bikes about using those cheap cranks and rods.  Only oem goes in everything I own now.  

I buy one new crank for the first rebuild, then buy rod kits there after.  Then I always have a fresh crank waiting to go in with oem rod and bearing.

I may have a line on a spare engine for you.  I will check into it and get back to you.

By chance is the small end or big end locked up?  Could it have been a lack of oil that caused this problem?

That sucks man.

The big end looks ok....did something seize up, or did it just snap?

My intention is not to rub on a sore spot but... I bet you wish you wouldn't have tried to save a few bucks on that crank shaft now, do ya?

Fortunately I learned my lesson on the small two strokes of my sons bikes about using those cheap cranks and rods.  Only oem goes in everything I own now.  

I buy one new crank for the first rebuild, then buy rod kits there after.  Then I always have a fresh crank waiting to go in with oem rod and bearing.

I may have a line on a spare engine for you.  I will check into it and get back to you.

By chance is the small end or big end locked up?  Could it have been a lack of oil that caused this problem?

Ya i definately will not be using another hot rods crank again. The only reason i even bothered to use it was because I'm sponsored and I get them for next to nothing and I figured I would just replace it sooner than I would replace an oem crank. I didn't think it would go in 6 hours. 

That would be great, looking forward to hearing from you about that motor.

Both ends are free as anything, there are no signs of heat building which leads me to believe it wasn't oil starvation, also i know there was oil in it since it was checked, no exageration right before I went out for my moto. It looks like a clean break and if you ask me it is just shitty quality material used.

That sucks man.

The big end looks ok....did something seize up, or did it just snap?

Only other thing I could think of that could cause that is detonation, but it seems most likely that the crank was heat treated improperly, or the wrong alloy was used.

You need a new sponsor!

Only other thing I could think of that could cause that is detonation, but it seems most likely that the crank was heat treated improperly, or the wrong alloy was used.

You need a new sponsor!

The top of the piston looks fine, no signs of detonation, the only explination i could think of is like you said not being heat treated correctly or cast correctly of just cheap metal.  I think you're right I need a new sponsor lol