Sign in to follow this  

Where are you getting a 42T rear sprocket?

I've read in a few posts that some people have a 42T rear sprocket.  I went to my local Honda dealer and he called around to his usual vendors and they do not have one (yet).  Supposedly Sunstar or some other vendor will have one on 9/30/13.  For those of you who have installed a 42T rear, where did you get it and who was the manufacturer?  Aluminum or steel?

• Like 1

counterbored.  CRF-R/X/etc are countersunk M8 so they drill them for M10 and counterbore.  As per XR650L/etc. You could wonder why they don't have XR650L/etc sprockets to use in the first place.

• Like 1

I ordered my 42T sprocket from SprocketCenter.com. It is a JT steel sprocket with the bolt holes countersunk to fit the stock sprocket bolts. I am running it currently with the 14T front sprocket and it's working out well for me.

http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/off-road-sprockets/honda/crf-models/crf-250-l-2013.html

I just ordered a JT from sprocketcenter.com as well. Pretty reputable place and the customer service was awesome. Should be getting it in sometime next week.

• Like 1

I just ordered a JT from sprocketcenter.com as well. Pretty reputable place and the customer service was awesome. Should be getting it in sometime next week.

We have the Dirt Freak Dura Sprocket 42T for the CRf250L in stock.

Fg

www.wheelingcyclesupply.com

• Like 4

What the top speed on the 13/42 combo? I love the feel of the 13/40 but top end sucks big time...

Before adding the 305 kit .... the FMF megabomb Q4 with EJK and 13/42's I could hit 81mph maxed out and cruise it around 65-70mph

I have not pushed the 305 that hard yet. 

• Like 1

You can order the Honda factory sprocket bolts from several Honda online sources or just order the ones from CRFsOnly.  They are less expensive. FYI,  If you bring in a cost printout from an online Honda source, your local dealer may match pricing and you can save on shipping.  Hold the Allen head bolt and loosen the nut when removing.  I removed mine with no problem, but several have had "issues".  Do a search for sprocket bolt removal too.

CRFsOnly

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/290_293/products_id/4869

The bolts, nuts and washers are items 16, 18. and 19 under the :"Rear Wheel" microfische.

http://www.discounthondaparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=4320008&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2014&fveh=190430

http://www.hondaworldofparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=4320008&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2014&fveh=190430

Edited by dkappelm
  • Like 1

Yeap., I read about that, everybody was complaining, but just a few offered a solution. Thanks for the advise. Now I can tell that is recommended to buy the set of bolts and stuff because damaged parts will be imminent. OK, if I go ahead and order the 42t renthal for a xr600r, xr650l and that other model mentioned will directly fit the crf250l, using the new stock 10 mm bolts. Right?

The bolts, nuts and washers are items 16, 18. and 19 under the :"Rear Wheel" microfische.

I'm slightly confused, are you suggesting that it's a good idea to buy new bolts as precaution in case the OEM's snap while removing....or because the OEM's will not fit Renthal/aftermarket sprockets?

Cheers

Buy new 10mm because the OEM will break or will get damaged. Or do I need to get different type of bolts to fit the renthal properly? Is there a renthal 42t that will fit with the 10 mm. ?

I bought the PBI 42 sprocket from CRF'sOnly ... I did order a few extra bolts just in case I needed them but, we were able to re-use all of the stock bolts. I have read of a few cases of stubborn bolts but also you must break loose the back nut with a wrench first and not from the front allen.  It never hurts to have a few extra bolts around anyway.

Good quality tools and the proper procedure are needed.

Thanks buddy, I did read that part. I got a bit desperate when they got off topic with the gear and weather. So has some one has the correct part no. For a renthal 42t that will properly fit, using the 10 mm bolts?

• Like 1

If you want Renthal and you are sure what size you want go ahead and buy a twin ring for $90; otherwise you can experiment with steel or aluminium and save a few dollars.  It is always an individual choice on where you want to spend money.

p.s. practice is more important than sprocket size.....  I always try to push the limits of what I have and make adjustments from there...

You don't need to necessarily purchase any new bolts.  Try to break lose what you have.  If you have difficulty breaking any lose, just order what you think you might need.  I always have extra lying around.  If you bugger any up pm me, I could send a fellow biker a couple in a pinch. 

Edited by dkappelm
  • Like 1

I just got it on the mail. Today I'll install it, the correct procedure is to first loose the but and then move to the bolt, always use good quality tools to avoid damage the bolts and stuff.

1385414333859.jpg

1385414375220.jpg

• Like 2