Sign in to follow this  

Race Sag Problem

I am trying to get my race sag adjusted to what people recommend which is around 100mm. I have backed up my preload as far as it will go and have messed with compressions and still wont get passed 125mm of race sag. Does this mean I should invest into a new rear shock?

Edited by Natic

Wow that's a lot of race sag. I'd like to know how you got roughly 18" of race sag on a bike with only 12" of travel?

Edited by mxneagle

Bike and your weight

What does "backed up" preload mean?  More or less?  If you're at 125mm of race sag, you need more preload, which people would usually not call "backed up."

Changing the damping adjusters won't effect sag.

If you can't get your sag right it means your spring isn't the right rate, it has nothing to do with needing a new shock.

• Like 1

The magic of editing posts. The OP initially said 450mm which would be 18". Anyway it doesn't matter my point was I couldn't make sense of what the OP was trying to ask with a bit of humor.

Edited by mxneagle
  • Like 1

What does "backed up" preload mean?  More or less?  If you're at 125mm of race sag, you need more preload, which people would usually not call "backed up."

If you can't get your sag right it means your spring isn't the right rate, it has nothing to do with needing a new shock.

Bike and your weight

I have a 2007 YZ250F, I way about 200 WITH gear. When I say backed up, I mean I raised the preload knotch all the way up (Lowered Preload), Would tightening the preload down be the solution? I know i may not be the brightest at times, bare with me haha I guess the real question is that i have 125mm of race sag and am trying to reach 100mm of race sag. Does that call for More or less preload?

Edited by Natic

Your terminology doesn't make any sense.  You said you "raised the preload all the way up," which sounds to me like you has as much preload as possible, but then you said "would tightening the preload down be the solution," which makes it sound like you were loosening the preload?  Raised, up, down, tighten, backed up, none of these are really clear terms.

You want MORE PRELOAD.  That means you need to compress the spring more.  I don't know if you already did that or not.  You're probably heavy for the stock springs on that bike in any case.

I have a 2007 YZ250F, I way about 200 WITH gear. When I say backed up, I mean I raised the preload all the way up, Would tightening the preload down be the solution? I know i may not be the brightest at times, bare with me haha I guess the real question is that i have 125mm of race sag and am trying to reach 100mm of race sag. Does that call for More or less preload?

Read your owners manual,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,carefully.

What does "backed up" preload mean? More or less? If you're at 125mm of race sag, you need more preload, which people would usually not call "backed up."

Even if the damping is set really stiff or really soft the sag will not be affected? Will valving affect the sag or is it just the spring rate that affects the sag?

okay so i tried giving myself more preload, i way 200 pounds and I read that your suppose to upgrade springs if you weigh over 160, i dont think i will ever be able to hit the race sag of 100mm these stock springs are just shit....I increased preload on my rear shock and now im reading 110mm of preload. It can go much more but damn its getting tight.

Your terminology doesn't make any sense.  You said you "raised the preload all the way up," which sounds to me like you has as much preload as possible, but then you said "would tightening the preload down be the solution," which makes it sound like you were loosening the preload?  Raised, up, down, tighten, backed up, none of these are really clear terms.

You want MORE PRELOAD.  That means you need to compress the spring more.  I don't know if you already did that or not.  You're probably heavy for the stock springs on that bike in any case.

Edited by Natic

okay so i tried giving myself more preload, i way 200 pounds and I read that your suppose to upgrade springs if you weigh over 160, i dont think i will ever be able to hit the race sag of 100mm these stock springs are just shit....I increased preload on my rear shock and now im reading 110mm of preload. It can go much more but damn its getting tight.

Sounds like you need to re-spring your bike... What kind of bike is it?

Yes your a little heavy for STD springs, try it at 110 and see how it feels

You do have the rear wheel off the ground don't you?

:lol:  of course! haha I take first reading propped up off ground then second reading while seating on it.

The only way to see if you have right spring, is to check 2 SAG measures. You make sure you get to 100-105mm SAG, and then you check the measures with the bike on the ground, but you shall not be on it, you take that measure and subtract it from the measure with bike on the stand. That measure shall be around 30-35mm.

You can also see that if you having to preload the spring more then say 15mm to reach the right SAG, you need to change spring. So measure the spring without pressure on, and then measure it compressed.

So there is actually 3 things that shall be right:

1. Race SAG 100-105mm

2. Static SAG 30-35mm

3. Spring preload 1-15mm

They are all connected so if spring preload is +15 your Static SAG will most likely be off also.

The only way to see if you have right spring, is to check 2 SAG measures. You make sure you get to 100-105mm SAG, and then you check the measures with the bike on the ground, but you shall not be on it, you take that measure and subtract it from the measure with bike on the stand. That measure shall be around 30-35mm.

You can also see that if you having to preload the spring more then say 15mm to reach the right SAG, you need to change spring. So measure the spring without pressure on, and then measure it compressed.

So there is actually 3 things that shall be right:

1. Race SAG 100-105mm

2. Static SAG 30-35mm

3. Spring preload 1-15mm

They are all connected so if spring preload is +15 your Static SAG will most likely be off also.

Yeah I have 25mm of static sag.... whats worse? having my race sag off or static sag off? I know i need new springs but I dont have the money as of now.... So whats the best decision to make when it comes to ridin as of now? Current settings are 110mm of race sag and 25mm of static sag.