is my dr350 running too hot

hey all, 

new to this forum. Just picked up a 1990 dr350. I used to have a sweet drz400sm before it was stolen from the street in NYC. 

I really like the dr for around town duty. Unfortunately living brooklyn the bike will not see many trails but I will do my best to venture off the beaten path. 

here she is 

9647547821_def5c923f8_z.jpg

the one question I have is. this thing runs hot! I feel like the side panel will just melt right off. 

the previous owner even put an oil cooler on this on so I am surprised it runs so hot. 

maybe I am just used to the drz. 

is there anything i should check to make sure oil is cooling / lubricating the engine properly?

thanks for the help

Check the plugs. Lean running creates gobs of heat.

Thats my plan, thanks for the reply. 

I am pretty new to some of this stuff so can any one link me to some info on where the spark plug is and how to remove it. 

do i have to take the gas tank off?

Even if the plug looks clean check the numbers. 2plugs are the same but one will run it to hot. Make sure its the factory plug

Even if the plug looks clean check the numbers. 2plugs are the same but one will run it to hot. Make sure its the factory plug

good to know. anyone care to link me to the proper plug to save me some time later. 

thanks 

Ngk DPR9EA-9 is wat u should be running spark gap .36..... some people run the ngk dpr8ea. Gives a lil more power but runs real hot

pulled the spark plug tonight and it is indeed the right kind, but the thing is completely black.

9794143563_7c2c7b2a45.jpg

I guess this means my fuel mixture is to lean. 

is there a way to enrich the mixture simply with the idle screw, or is my best bet to take the carb apart. 

any advise is appreciated I am new to some of this stuff. 

pulled the spark plug tonight and it is indeed the right kind, but the thing is completely black.

9794143563_7c2c7b2a45.jpg

not sure what this means or where to go from here. I was told running lean would create lots of heat, but i think my fuel mixture is plenty rich. 

any advice is appreciated. 

Check  and clean the air filter, make sure correct amount of oil in engine, there is a correct way of checking this, the bike has to be warmed up well first!

Check  and clean the air filter, make sure correct amount of oil in engine, there is a correct way of checking this, the bike has to be warmed up well first!

Thanks I plan on cleaning and replace the air filter this weekend. a few other folks pointed me in that direction. going to look up the proper way to check the oil also. 

appreciate the help