Sign in to follow this  

How does this cylinder plating look?

Can anyone give me advice on this cylinder? It was replated at the last top end, I can still see the cross hatching and it should cleanicon1.png up even better. There is a shinny spot between two ports, does it look the plating wore off here? If so will it be safe to run for another top end or could it be a problem? I want to put my money into the bottom end now not the top.

Thanks 

2013-09-03_21-57-04_170.jpg

2013-09-03_21-57-33_806.jpg

2013-09-03_21-58-06_673.jpg

2013-09-03_21-58-06_673.jpg

Edited by crmaverick

It's wore but acceptable.  You should measure it and don't expect a long piston life.  The shiny spot between the ports is where a grinder was used to add extra clearance to prevent them from rubbing on the piston while hot.

Edited by 1987CR250R

It's wore but acceptable.  You should measure it and don't expect a long piston life.  The shiny spot between the ports is where a grinder was used to add extra clearance to prevent them from rubbing on the piston while hot.

Cool thanks, Ill clean it up with scotch brite. 

You said in another post that you had the cylinder replated.  That looks like a US Chrome replate job.  I had them do my CR 250.  I was not happy with the results the cylinder looked just like that and the bike would eat pistons every 20ish hours.  No break-downs just had to replace them regularly.

• Like 1

You said in another post that you had the cylinder replated.  That looks like a US Chrome replate job.  I had them do my CR 250.  I was not happy with the results the cylinder looked just like that and the bike would eat pistons every 20ish hours.  No break-downs just had to replace them regularly.

You nailed it, US chrome job. The previous owner had is done at the previous top end. 

I have run both Millenium and US chrome finsish's on our race snowmobile engines. US chromes are a harder coating than Millenium's coating. I have seen Milleiniums coating be not hard enough and have had to replate several times because of there plating. I personally dont like milleniums coating as it is always a crap shoot if you end up with chatter marks in the bore because of there pore plating. This is just my experience with sled engines but I have built a lot of prostock drag engines and I prefer US chrome as i know it will be hard enough to last.

Now one thing you guys can do to help when having to re-plate is to hone, or bore to +.010. It will give you .005 per side of plating VS the .0012-.0015 as a stock bore. The finish will hold up a lot better and last longer as well.

Edited by Zrt1200