Sign in to follow this  

Just ordered Lectron Shorty woot woot

or should I say brap brap. Super excited. I just spent 87 miles above 10k and wanted fuel injection so bad. Started reading around for solutions on TT and I found the Lectron. So I ordered it. 

The dude said it comes from the factory jetted on the dyno and ready for my bike. Has anyone bolted one of these on and thought it was perfect or do they come rich like many have mentioned? 

anyway, Im excited to bolt this thing on and try it out. Ill keep you guys posted. 

08 yz250

Good stuff. Keep us posted. I'm curious to learn how yours goes at a wide range of altitudes and also different RPMs and throttle opening. Perhaps also some different fuels.

I thinking the physical fit of the shorty will be easy, but going by what I understand about metering rod carbs, the shorter throat means much greater dependence on a precise customized metering rod cut for the bike's run conditions. Compared to the SmartCarb, the Lectron normal length 38 still needs a more precise custom needle shape. So I wrote to Lectron asking about the state of tune for the shorty 38 on a YZ295 used near sealevel with Aus 98 fuel.  Lectron never wrote back. I wrote again with an email read receipt request. Still no human reply.  So I'll wait for the APT SmartCarb.

Edited by numroe
  • Like 1

Good stuff. Keep us posted. I'm curious to learn how yours goes at a wide range of altitudes and also different RPMs and throttle opening. Perhaps also some different fuels.

I thinking the physical fit of the shorty will be easy, but going by what I understand about metering rod carbs, the shorter throat means much greater dependence on a precise customized metering rod cut for the bike's run conditions. Compared to the SmartCarb, the Lectron normal length 38 still needs a more precise custom needle shape. So I wrote to Lectron asking about the state of tune for the shorty 38 on a YZ295 used near sealevel with Aus 98 fuel.  Lectron never wrote back. I wrote again with an email read receipt request. Still no human reply.  So I'll wait for the APT SmartCarb.

yeah im very curious whats going to happen. most of my riding is from 4000 ft to 13000 ft and sometimes its all in the same day. The YZ is such an amazing bike that i have dreaded the idea of going to a thumper with FI just so that i can get more consistent power. I cant remember his name but there is a dude that sounds pretty savvy who bought the 38 shorty for is 325 kit and says he loves it. He raced moto tracks but he seemed to really enjoy it and im hoping i get the same results with altitude changes. If I dont, i hope they will take it back. $50 aint cheap for an experiment. 

13000 feet!   :)  Wow, you'll be a great test for that carb. Seasonable temp changes too.

I got my PWK38 working pretty good now, and I have very small changes in altitude and temp and humidity, but I still will buy a cast SmartCarb when they come out. I certainly don't need any more power - my 295 mostly has too much (way more response and width of power than a KTM300EXC).  However I like the APT idea+engineering with the quick adjust knob on the top. I also like the idea of even cleaner burning and longer fuel range. Lastly I like the idea of a sealed carb with no mess of hoses hanging out the bottom of the bike.

Edited by numroe

13000 feet!   :)  Wow, you'll be a great test for that carb. Seasonable temp changes too.

I got my PWK38 working pretty good now, and I have very small changes in altitude and temp and humidity, but I still will buy a cast SmartCarb when they come out. I certainly don't need any more power - my 295 mostly has too much (way more response and width of power than a KTM300EXC).  However I like the APT idea+engineering with the quick adjust knob on the top. I also like the idea of even cleaner burning and longer fuel range. Lastly I like the idea of a sealed carb with no mess of hoses hanging out the bottom of the bike.

yeah, there are some big passes you can do in the colorado rockies. Near Durango especially. 

Very interested in how this carb works aswell, i mostly ride between sea level and 150ft above sea level. South louisiana is very flat most. But the humidity does tend to get very high in the summer and low in the winter. And i do take my bike with me to illinois when i go visit the inlaws on occassion.

And please post pics, must be an amazing view

Uh oh. It just showed up. I'm nervous to install it. I'm the kind of dude that can screw things up easy. Gotta ride in the morning so ill wait till tomorrow night.

• Like 2

Looped the bike out yesterday on my ride. Broke brake lever, hand guard and handle bars. So I'm in the shop now. Just took off sub frame, tank and carb. Can't find my 8mm open end wrench anywhere so I can't get throttle cable off. Duh on my behalf .

I have a spare set of everything on my 01 yz so I should be good for parts. Gonna go take a break and look for 8mm so I can finish tear down an start looking at ALL NEW LECTRON install. Since I have so much of this bike apart right now, do you guys have any suggestions on some things I could do to the bike? Upgrades, improvements, tweaks, whatever?

Thanks for tuning in. When y'all wanna go hit up some rocky Mtn riding you can pm me. I think I have about 200 miles of mapped legal single track Im my area on my motion GPS APP.

Chao

I've got the Lectron 36 on my Husky 300. I usually ride at about 900' here in TN and have ridden in Moab and Colorado up to 7,500 ft. It performed flawlessly. I rode in Colorado last year with my Mikuni and my buddy on his FI KX450 was getting frustrated because I stopped  4 times to try to get my jetting right. With the Lectron, all I had to do is ride the bike. No farting around with the carb. I did have to lean it about a half a turn from delivered. 

So I pulled the old carb out and had to disconnect two wire connectors to the carb. The lectron does not have a place for anything electrical. Is this right?

I've got the Lectron 36 on my Husky 300. I usually ride at about 900' here in TN and have ridden in Moab and Colorado up to 7,500 ft. It performed flawlessly. I rode in Colorado last year with my Mikuni and my buddy on his FI KX450 was getting frustrated because I stopped 4 times to try to get my jetting right. With the Lectron, all I had to do is ride the bike. No farting around with the carb. I did have to lean it about a half a turn from delivered.

What was the bike doing that told you it was running rich?

Jus

What was the bike doing that told you it was running rich?

It felt a little blubbery. I kept going a 1/4 lean until I could tell I went too lean and then backed it off a 1/4 turn. Supposedly, they say you can't go too lean and seize the bike with the Lectron. I don't know if that is definitely the case though. You will see when you have it in best spot. Can't help you on the wires, I think you just leave them unplugged.

Jus

It felt a little blubbery. I kept going a 1/4 lean until I could tell I went too lean and then backed it off a 1/4 turn. Supposedly, they say you can't go too lean and seize the bike with the Lectron. I don't know if that is definitely the case though. You will see when you have it in best spot. Can't help you on the wires, I think you just leave them unplugged.

What does the bike do when it's to lean?

cvbud,  Other typical words to describe jetting issues:

Rich:  Cool. Blubbery. Sputtering. "4 stroking". Coughing. Wont rev out (at the throttle position in question). Power loss most noticeable when engine given ample time to build revs.

Lean: Hot.  Hesitation under some load. Power loss mostly on initial throttle open. Gasping intake sound when throttle opened. Pingy/tinny sound. Popping.

The bog word is often used in both cases. A rich bog is usually preceded by other symptoms.  A lean bog, is sometimes preceded by a gasping sound, but if you snap the throttle open and it just bogs immediately I'd suspect a lean bog.

Edited by numroe
  • Like 5

cvbud, Other typical words to describe jetting issues:

Rich: Cool. Blubbery. Sputtering. "4 stroking". Coughing. Wont rev out (at the throttle position in question). Power loss most noticeable when engine given ample time to build revs.

Lean: Hot. Hesitation under some load. Power loss mostly on initial throttle open. Gasping intake sound when throttle opened. Pingy/tinny sound. Popping.

The bog word is often used in both cases. A rich bog is usually preceded by other symptoms. A lean bog, is sometimes preceded by a gasping sound, but if you snap the throttle open and it just bogs immediately I'd suspect a lean bog.

Thank you that was awesome. That explains the power loss in altitude. You lose air therefore running you bike rich. Is that correct?