Sign in to follow this  

Arizona New Arizona Rider

I am new to Arizona riding and would greatly appreciate any helpful advice as to where to ride. I would prefer anything in the Payson area. Thanks!

I am new to Arizona riding and would greatly appreciate any helpful advice as to where to ride. I would prefer anything in the Payson area. Thanks!

Welcome to Az. Haven't ridden dirt in your area, but you should about perfect weather-wise. The rim 20 miles north when it's hot and the desert 20 miles or so south during the winter. I'd get the forest service maps for the Tonto and Coconino and start exploring. MX, have no idea.

Mike

Payson is mainly fire roads.  There are some fun ones though.  Houston Mesa Trail from Star Valley was a nice flow and is kind of jumpy.  I hear there is a small amount of legal multi-use single track south East of town.  I have not tried it yet.  When the weather cools off, head South on 87 to Sycamore.  You can park at Sugar Loaf or at Mesquite Wash, both on the West side of the road.  It is about 40 minutes from Payson.  There is some good single track out there.

Also, when you make a post like this, try to be more specific on what kind of riding you are looking for, ability, ...  Heck maybe The Four Peaks side trails would be better for you?  More wide open on that side.

Payson is mainly fire roads.  There are some fun ones though.  Houston Mesa Trail from Star Valley was a nice flow and is kind of jumpy.  I hear there is a small amount of legal multi-use single track south East of town.  I have not tried it yet.  When the weather cools off, head South on 87 to Sycamore.  You can park at Sugar Loaf or at Mesquite Wash, both on the West side of the road.  It is about 40 minutes from Payson.  There is some good single track out there.

Also, when you make a post like this, try to be more specific on what kind of riding you are looking for, ability, ...  Heck maybe The Four Peaks side trails would be better for you?  More wide open on that side.

Thanks for the heads up and the advice. I went up to payson the other weekend and found some pretty fun stuff just outside of town behind safeway. I grew up in AZ and have spent plenty of time in sycamore, I love that place but I was wanting to head north due to the hot weather during the summer months. I lived in utah the last 3 years and have come to love single track mountain ridding so I was hoping to find some of that up in the Payson area but was unsuccessful. If you know of anything like that, I would be very appreciative! Also, I have been ridding for years so I'm pretty comfortable with any difficulty level. thanks!