Sign in to follow this  

New 300xcw;2013 or 2014?

I am ready to replace my 09' 300 but am trying to understand how much better the 14' is over the 13'.  Near as I can tell the a leftover 2013 is going to be about $1000+ less right now.  KTM claims more low end and better traction due to suspension improvements on the new unit.  Does anyone have any reviews they care to share?

Another consideration is resale value...

13 is good on the front end but worse on the back end.  Especially if you sell after only a couple of yrs.  The bike is already a yr old.  Does not matter when you buy it.

Just a non technical thought.

• Like 1

As someone that just bought a leftover 2012 250xc a few months ago, I'd say go with the leftover and save the money.

I wasn't too worried about resale value, because I figured I'd keep it for a good long while. I like buying expensive things in great condition and keeping them that way.

If you are a hardcore racer that needs the "improved traction" that KTM claims, then I might spend the extra $1000 on the newer one, but even then, probably not.

I would pony up for the newer model. After one hour of riding the '13, it'll be a one year old used bike no matter how you slice it.

And if you drop an extra grand on the '14, after one hour of riding its worth the same as a year old bike. Go with the '13 and use the extra $1000 for protection / mods. You'll be way better off.

• Like 1

The 300 I currently have was a leftover so I've been on this road before.  It just seems that the changes made the past few years have been minor but the 14' model changes seem significant.  I'm just curious if anyone that has had a chance to ride one can comment on how they compare to a 2012. 

The 300 I currently have was a leftover so I've been on this road before.  It just seems that the changes made the past few years have been minor but the 14' model changes seem significant.  I'm just curious if anyone that has had a chance to ride one can comment on how they compare to a 2012. 

compare to a 2013 that is.........................doh

Save the cash and go left over. The extra change should go towards suspension and guards..... You will be way ahead of the guy who buys the 14 and can't afford those things...

I've just sent my check for a 2014 300 xc-w.  Any/ every new bike you buy will be a used bike as soon as they leave the dealer.  Judging by the changes made in recent years, why miss out all the new goodies, IMHO.

LOL, never miss an opportunity to take a stab at him.

what is the fork offsets for 13 and 2014 yrs?

LOL, never miss an opportunity to take a stab at him.

I know. And it's bad too.... Interesting thing is I really tried to take his advice serious and agree with him but after awhile his BS was just too much.

I do believe he offers some good technical insite and advice but the way he presents it is very loud, overbearing and condescending which just doesn't work for me....

I know. And it's bad too.... Interesting thing is I really tried to take his advice serious and agree with him but after awhile his BS was just too much.

I do believe he offers some good technical insite and advice but the way he presents it is very loud, overbearing and condescending which just doesn't work for me....

Totally agree. He has some experience under his belt for sure. I've never really had a conversation with him but I've read his posts. The thread where he went off on there is not a suspension shop on earth that could set his bike up to do what he wanted is where he lost me. I'm calling BS on that one. Unless this guy can ride like Ryan F'n Dungey.

what is the fork offsets for 13 and 2014 yrs?

xc-w 13, 14, 20mm

xc      13,  14, 22mm

pds chassis steer better with 20mm

link chassis steer better with 22mm

pds chassis steer better with 20mm

link chassis steer better with 22mm

is that because wheelbase extends with compression on the PDS?